Kipling describes fall in VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
I stumbled on this today while reading about Rudyard Kipling's estate in Dummerston, VT. As Fall quickly arrives here in New England I thought there might be other folks who would appreciate this very apt and poetic description of the season:

"A little maple began it, flaming blood-red of a sudden where he stood against the dark green of a pine-belt. Next morning there was an answering signal from the swamp where the sumacs grow. Three days later, the hill-sides as fast as the eye could range were afire, and the roads paved, with crimson and gold. Then a wet wind blew, and ruined all the uniforms of that gorgeous army; and the oaks, who had held themselves in reserve, buckled on their dull and bronzed cuirasses and stood it out stiffly to the last blown leaf, till nothing remained but pencil-shadings of bare boughs, and one could see into the most private heart of the woods."

Hope everyone gets to enjoy looking into the "private heart of the woods" this season!

Thanks for the mind-expanding with "cuirass."
Especially glad I looked it up and knew not to pronounce it as "kwer-ASS" or something horribly unerudite.

Well describes a special time...when we can see what's been hidden by the dense foliage. It's my favorite time of the year by far, just after the fall of the leaves until the snow. Thanks for posting :)