emergency bivy ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
we've had threads, but... I'm looking to replace a 35 year old North Face "bivy" that is now a good bag cover in winter in a tent or lean-to but not what I would carry in winter as emergency gear. I'm looking at the MSR E-Bivy. I'm looking for more than a space blanket and less than a light tent. Any info/suggestions would be appreciated.

Blizzard Survival Bag

Based upon a thread Tim Seaver started back in 2006, for the past couple of years I've carried a Blizzard Survival Bag year-round.

Since it is waterproof, it can do double-duty as a bag and bivy. I bought the orange version from an EMT supply house in Texas, but if you google, you can find additional suppliers now.

Based upon a thread Tim Seaver started back in 2006, for the past couple of years I've carried a Blizzard Survival Bag year-round.

Since it is waterproof, it can do double-duty as a bag and bivy. I bought the orange version from an EMT supply house in Texas, but if you google, you can find additional suppliers now.

Have you ever opened it and gotten in and out of it ? I'd love to know how durable these are, not for multiple re-use necessarily, but just so that I'd know it would hold up better than a space blanket.

Got to admit I really like the Blizzard, Im going to have to get one for my pack. I have been carrying a Bivy Shelter from Wild Things in my SAR pack. I like it packs really small about the size of a beer can and weighs about the same.(though I have no actual experience carrying beer in my pack:rolleyes:) You can use it as a shelter for 2 to 4 people, NOT 4 of the people I usually am with but 4 smaller people in theory.I have only ever used it as tarp to cover a litter, but I can tell you water just rolls off it. Might not be what your looking for and certainly not a bivy sac but just a thought.

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/prod_mtgear.php

Last edited:
do you mean their Bivy Shelter ? I think Mats team carried that, or something similar, on Denali. I would consider something like that, thanks.

"Bivy Shelter
This exciting new product for 2007 solves the age-old question….should I bring it? Designed by AMGA guide Jim Ongena, this bivy shelter weighs in at 13 ounces and will shelter four people in a storm. It can also serve as an overnight shelter for two in a pinch. This should become standard equipment for all outdoor leaders and guides because it’s so small, light, and useful you’ll never leave home without it.

Standard:

Silicone Impregnated Ripstop Nylon
Weight: 13 oz (0.37 kg)
$150.00"

YES! The bivy shelter

Never actually used as intended, but I have used it several times as a rain/wind cover on a litter during carry outs. I know for a fact it will keep you dry. It is about half the size/weight of the Outdoor Research Bivy sack I used to carry for the same purpose.

Have you ever opened it and gotten in and out of it ? I'd love to know how durable these are, not for multiple re-use necessarily, but just so that I'd know it would hold up better than a space blanket.
No - it's in a vacuum-sealed wrapper, and I'd like to keep it in its smallest possible size.

As for durability - I really don't have any qualms. As I recall, it was developed for the Brit's Special Forces, and is in use by EMT's in this country.

That speaks volumes to me in terms of its durability and the claims made re: its warmth.

I prefer the versatility of my White Lightnin tarp. I carry enough warm clothes and don't see much need for a bivy sack.

I have a tarp I could carry, but then you still need some ground cover - or would you, kind of, wrap yourself in the tarp ? I carry enough clothes also but am re-reviewing my winter pack contents; it's always a struggle between what I think I might possibly ever need and a practical solution. One thing I do carry is a 3/4 length ensolite/closed cell pad. I don't believe many winter day packs include one.

I carry this in cold weather:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...al-Kits-Thermo-Lite-2.0-Bivy&ad_id=GoogleBase

I have the larger one and can put my sleeping bag inside of it when camping if it gets too cold or windy. I've had it 3 seasons and used it 6-8 times. Still good.

I also carry a lite wt tarp, 8x10, I got from Gander Mt? ($40.?) that I have slept under or have wraped it around my sleeping bag. Some cheap bug netting and I'm good in the summer too.

I also have 2 or 3 55 gal garbage bags if I don't want to carry the tarp for a day hike. Never had to use them for shelter but I would. One of these babies stuffed with small branches, leaves, moss etc would insulate me from the ground just fine in an emergency.

These are all cheap and easy to replace. I like that.

I have a tarp I could carry, but then you still need some ground cover - or would you, kind of, wrap yourself in the tarp ?

I carry a small Evazote pad to sit on and I don't think I need any more ground cover than that, but I also could sit/lay on my pack and snowshoes. The tarp would be used to block the wind and keep precipitation off my outer clothing. I really don't think that wrapping myself up in a waterproof layer for any length of time would be a good idea. This assumes that my "emergency" is limited to getting lost or becoming too tired to finish my hike as planned. If I was doing something that was more dangerous than a typical dayhike, I'd be carrying a larger pack with sleeping bag, pad, tent and stove.

I also have 2 or 3 55 gal garbage bags if I don't want to carry the tarp for a day hike. Never had to use them for shelter but I would. One of these babies stuffed with small branches, leaves, moss etc would insulate me from the ground just fine in an emergency.

These are all cheap and easy to replace. I like that.

I have a variety of things I carry but something I never go without are 55 gallon contractor bags. I usually carry 2 or 3 of them. Small, cheap, rugged and easy to make into shelters or use as emergency raingear.

I also carry a MSR e-wing as well as thermo bivy most times. These are all very small, light and very versitile. And yes I often carry as standard 8x10 tarp as well but usually don't use that unless I need another area to relax under while cooking, etc. I use the other stuff mostly for emergencies.

Keith

I have a tarp I could carry, but then you still need some ground cover - or would you, kind of, wrap yourself in the tarp ?

I have done that in mild conditions even when raining and it worked out fine for me.

In an emergency though I have no qualms about using whatever material is at hand to put insulation under me. Boughs, leaves, etc. Again, emergencies, though dried leaves on the ground can be used anytime.

Keith

Last edited:
I carry the Blizzard Survival Bag (also as a result of that old thread), a closed cell pad, and a very large, very tough waste bag that I scrounged once while on a SAR mission. Unfortunately I don't remember where I got the waste bag, but it is the ne plus ultra of the species. It makes the average yard waste bag look like a paper sandwich sack in comparison. (Nooo, Keith, it's not big enough to be a you-know-what. Well, maybe for Homo floresiensis . . . )

I have a tarp I could carry, but then you still need some ground cover - or would you, kind of, wrap yourself in the tarp ? .

I carry two tent footprints for winter day trips. One from a small one man tent for the bottom and one from a 2-man for the top. Very light and they pack small. These, hiking poles and some line and I've got a fairly sturdy shelter.

Like Doug, I, too, carry the Adventure Medical bivy. I haven't used it yet but friends used theirs this summer and liked it. By the way, I heard an excellent podcast from Adventure Medical on Practical Backpacking (recorded in December, 2008).

Like Doug, I, too, carry the Adventure Medical bivy. I haven't used it yet but friends used theirs this summer and liked it. By the way, I heard an excellent podcast from Adventure Medical on Practical Backpacking (recorded in December, 2008).
I used mine when I broke my leg BC skiing. It was just wrapped around me as a wind break (for the very light breeze), so I didn't test it as a bivy. I can say that it can be repacked into its stuff sack.

Doug

I picked up some 3 ply 44 or 48 gallon contractors bags last night. Trash compactor bags were 2 1/2 ply and too small. There were also 6 ply :eek: 55 gallon bags, but those would be overkill.

I need to weigh my current tarp and old bivy bag to see if the sil/nylon upgrades make sense. With a couple contractor bags as ground cover, the layers and gear I normally bring and the tarp or bivy - I guess me or my injured partner would be pretty comfortable for a while.