Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I know it has been recommended before but it bears repeating. The Yankee Smokehouse on Rte 16 in West Ossipee is my favorite. The smoked pork plate is amazing and the atmosphere is such that gaiters and muddy boots won't get more than a cursory glance. The owners, Joe and Nancy, are really nice people.

Someone once told me that it was the best BBQ they had tasted east of Kansas. FWIW. All I know is that I can barely drive by without stopping in.

http://www.yankeesmokehouse.com/

Z :D

Last edited:
We've been enjoying the Smokehouse for over 25 years, spanning several owners and some fairly subtle shifts in menu. Their barbecue is very good but not Memphis. The sauce has always been on the bland side. Fries and onion rings decent but could be much better. Slaw OK. If you dine there frequently, like us, the Pig Bucks frequent diner card is worthwhile.

They have broadened their menu to very good effect over the last couple of years. Their individual pizzas are very good and some of the burgers are bona fide gut-busters. Their newish bar is a great place to catch the Bruins or something like that.

Have not chimed in on this in awhile, but if you do not feel Littleton is out of range, I would highly recommend Chang Thai on Main St. I've eaten Thai around the world, yes including southeast Asia - and the Big Island of Hawai'i as well- which has some incredible Thai establishments, and enjoy their food very much. Beef satay is incredible.

Hey there, sports fans.

Been a while since I waded through this thread...,

I need a good spot near Gorham/Randolph to watch Thursday evening's Patriots game. Beer, food, you know. I'll be solo, so a bar to sit at would be a nice option.

Please?

Thank you!

Mr. Pizza Main St Gorham is a reliable choice. Menu is wide ranging and the beer selection is good. Louise will be the bar keep on a Thursday night. Generally, the company at the bar at Mr Pizza is friendly and very agreeable.

You will have lots of friends on Thursday night for the game as the ATV folks will be in town for the big ATV event on Friday and Saturday

We've watched a few such events at Fabians near Bretton Woods, a little out of the area you're looking but an enjoyable venue with a decent menu. In fact, one night two of us hiked out from Zealand Hut to watch a Red Sox playoff game at the California Angels ... that went extra innings ... well beyond closing time but the night manager told us we could stay and watch it while he cleaned up, closed out the books etc. It was a real late night and the next day's hike was ... well, we had an interesting topic of discussion. To make matters worse the Sox lost!

Sorry to bring not great news, but I will have to correct myself.

Mr Pizza is closing at 9 PM on Thursday night this week, and will re-open Monday 9/26.

New carpet on one side, major fall cleaning throughout the restaurant. The dining room on the right ( facing the building) has to be completely stripped of all furniture after closign time for carpet-company to start work early Friday AM.

Sorry for the correction. J's and Yokohama also close at 9 PM, so it seems you may have to go up to Berlin for the game. Sinibaldi's or the Millyard perhaps ? Maybe Mary's Pizza ??

You could go the other way, to N Conway, where you'd have other great choices-- the bar at Horsefeathers, Delaneys, Moat Mountain Brewing, the Shannon Door in Jackson, the Red Parka Pub in Glen, Cider House in Bartlett, and the Red Fox, also in Jackson.

Last edited:
Thank you for the update and other options, Breeze, good to know and most appreciated.

Thanks to you also, Stan, I enjoyed meeting you at Black Mountain Cabin so many years ago!

I'll check out Berlin perhaps, but will also consider just catching the game on the radio. Hoofing it back to Randolph from Jackson is a bit of a haul!

I did come off of Hancock a few winters ago to catch the Pats/Chargers playoff game in Woodstock. Fabulous skiing, huge powder, great game.

No other good options in Gorham? That'd be a shame.

Thanks again.

In Gorham, perhaps try the Town and Country Motel bar......... a Motel in NH is not required to have full kitchen service as a pre-requisite to liquor service.

J's Corner and Yokohama close at 9 PM, and The Dynasty Buffet restaurant closes at 9: 30. Mary's Pizza closes at 9 Pm also.

Hi,

I was too tired after hiking to go out; I just caught the game on the radio (quite a blow-out!).

I did, however, call J's Corner Restaurant beforehand; they said that they would indeed have it on.

Thank you all again for the info!

There are two sides on the moderator's end of the forum. The one where the moderators step in and edit or delete, earning the accusation that we're censoring and how VFTT is overly moderated. The other, to stand back and hope common sense prevails and let the community get the thread back to the O.P. without being referees. Perhaps wishful thinking. Let's see.

<Moderator Note>
I apologize for not reading every thread. Things have been running smoothly and it didn't seem to me that a thread on restaurants would ever become political. In the event that it happens in the future, please use the "report post" feature (which somebody was kind enough to do) and that will alert us to problems.

I would appreciate it if everyone could take it easy on the moderators. We are only human with the same problems and time sinks that everyone else has.

We have decided to leave this thread closed as a lot of the information is no longer valid, and probably not even historically interesting. Feel free to start a new one, but leave the racism and politics out of it.

Thanks,
Tim
</Moderator Note>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.