Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't hear it mentioned often but Gorham House of Pizza is just north of the rte 2/16 intersection on rte 16. They've always been consistent for basic subs, pizza, gyros, etc. I choose them over Mr. Pizza most of the time since the last meal I had at Mr. Pizza was terrible - I assume it was not typical since so many people seem to like it.
They are also under new ownership since a couple months ago and have a more interesting and diverse menu. Tried a new offering from them last week and really liked it. I think it's not as popular since it is just north of the intersection with the most common flow of hiker and tourist traffic. It can be a bit tough to turn in and out of since so close to the intersection and parking can be tight.

"55 North" is opening very soon in Bethlehem, across from the theater, where that bratwurst, beer and motorcycle collection place was for a while. Convenient and looks much more casual than Cold Mountain. We shall see.

55 North grand opening is today (June 19th) according to my Bethlehem Colonial Theater newsletter.

Update, the new wood fired pizza place is scheduled to be open Monday June 10th

http://mtfire.biz/

Hope they do well. The local market can definitely use an alternative to Mr Pizza. Salt Pub next to Libbys Bistrois a good option but just doesn't get the hiker traffic.

They claim they will have six local microbrews on tap.

Four of us ate here yesterday after hiking the Weeks'. Big thumbs up. They seated four sweaty, bug-eaten hikers without a problem. Staff was very friendly and some nice mountain photos in the dining room. Pizza was very good, and quick. They currently lack an alcohol license but expect to get that in a week or so. Worth a visit if in the Gorham area.

I got a takeout pizza from Mt Fire the other night. It was closer to New Haven Apizza or NYC coal fired pizza. A lot of folks like a thick doughy crust and they will be disappointed. It does seem to get the family crowd and given the layout, I don't see the bar as major attraction. If they do get a good line of microbrews rather the faux microbrews made by the big beer companies that many other places stock it may be the tipping point for me.

Based on Andrews comments, I will give Gorham House of Pizza another try. Previously it was pretty bland pizza. I would dry up to Berlin and get the Berlin House of Pizza version which was much better.

Just be sure to look at their paper menu at GHOP, as they don't list all the offerings on the board. Variety has increased but the quality you may find is the same (I can't stand minced garlic from a jar!).

I finally had a chance to try the GHOP under new ownership.

The gyro was better than before and the staff friendly. I did not have pizza.

I went into Mt Fire but it seems as though they don't have much on the menu other than pizza so no comment as of yet.

New place to eat in Twin Mountain!!!

Northern Embers just opened - On Rte 3, 1 mile north of the intersection of Rte 3 and 302. Very good food - burgers, apps, broiled and fried seafood, prime rib, steak tips, ceasar salad with anchovies, etc...

Full liquor license! Cheapest bottle of Tuckermans in the area! The couple that owns it has many years in the business!

They have a Facebook page - perhaps if enough hikers from this group like it we can get some special deals from time to time!

https://www.facebook.com/TheNorthernEmbers

Yes - they have redone the place - completely gutted the kitchen and made it a nice cozy place. Huge servings! The couple that own it have been in the business for 20 years.

"55 North" is opening very soon in Bethlehem, across from the theater, where that bratwurst, beer and motorcycle collection place was for a while. Convenient and looks much more casual than Cold Mountain. We shall see.

"the 55 N." Small. Very reasonably priced. Good weather/evening/sitting outside = perfect. We had live music, the Pulled Pork sandwich and a Burger, and a Moat Mountain and a couple chardonnays.
Stop there when driving through Bethlehem. A bunch of hikers would fit in well here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-55-North/371352266309744?hc_location=stream

Tried Northern Embers

We were at Northern Embers yesterday (3-Aug-2013) - they said they had been open 6 days. There were no burgers on the dinner menu but it had a good variety of foods. We got the Lobster Stew (soup of the day) and the Fish and Chips. Susan, the owner along with her husband (who is the chef) said that the F&C was the most popular item on the menu. It was indeed good! The couple is from Mass. They had a new waitress starting named Illiana who is here from Brazil. We'll be back.

Last edited:
We were at Northern Embers for dinner last night as well! Geri had the Pasta Fra Diavolo which was loaded with seafood and I had the Prime Rib which was 2 inches thick and one of the best I've had! Muscles in a white wine sauce for an app. So much food that we couldn't finish it all.

Did you inquire about a burger? Last week I asked for something not really on the menu and they took care of me. Even got a tour of the kitchen last night. Alton (husband) is really proud of the work he did to the place.

I love a hearty Mexican inspired meal after a big hike. Meat, beans, rice, and veggies are what I crave (and usually in that order).

The Margarita Grill has excellent food. I am sorry to say that it far exceeds another "valley original" in Conway. The southwestern steak and cheese was amazing after a finish on Carrigain. I would highly recommend this restaurant. Excellent food and Mike's Pale Ale on tap. They also pride themselves on utilizing local meats and available produce. Their SOHL Sundays and green practices are impressive eco-conscious efforts that keep me coming back.

Margarita Grill is located near the intersection of route 16 and 302.

78 Rt. 302, PO Box 208, Glen, NH 03838

Here is the website:
http://margaritagrillnh.com/

Seriously amazing food and a pretty laid back atmosphere in the pub area.

Z :D

Last edited:
We were at Northern Embers yesterday (3-Aug-2013) - they said they had been open 6 days. There were no burgers on the dinner menu but it had a good variety of foods. We got the Lobster Stew (soup of the day) and the Fish and Chips. Susan, the owner along with her husband (who is the chef) said that the F&C was the most popular item on the menu. It was indeed good! The couple is from Mass. They had a new waitress starting named Illiana who is here from Brazil. We'll be back.

Asked the owner tonight if somebody wanted a burger for dinner if they would do that - no problem, just ask!

We stopped by Northern Embers for a late lunch. Decent food, large portions, friendly service. Well go back.

We were the only people in there @1:30. They've been open just three weeks. Wish them luck.

:)bbq ruben @ moat is literally the best sandwich I've ever had. found the bbq ruben 6 yrs ago, nothing has changed it's a big portion of sliced bbq beef briskett, pickles, cole slaw, red onions, kaiser roll!!! so good!!! unfortunately I only go thru n.conway 2-3 times a year. I access the whites typically rt 2 and go thru bethel, me. so it's usually bbq from orange trailer or pizza by the slice at mallard mart in bethel.

We were late getting off Washington hike on Sunday (on purpose, as we dallied whenever we wanted) and weren't sure where we would be able to get food at 10:00 in N. Conway. Horsefeathers had just closed down their kitchen so they recommended we walk around the corner to Hooligans, which serves until 11:00. We had good service and good food and ample amounts at fair prices and will go back, for certain.

Last edited:
I really like Moat Mountain (what's better than beers and BBQ?), but was extremely disappointed in their brisket last time I ate there. Fat laced, no flavor, meat slabs. Clearly was not BBQd or that fat would have rendered out. Hoping it was just a one-time deal.
Hiked in the N Presis the last couple weekends and both times ate at Saalt Pub in Gorham. Nice atmosphere, unusual but satisfying menu. Definitely recommend it.

Stopped at Northern Embers yesterday about 5PM with 3 friends for dinner. By the time we left, the place was full. Excellent food & service, with reasonable prices. Will definitely go back again. Twin Mtn needs a good restaurant open in the evenings year-round, and I hope they have enough business to make a go of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.