Best restaurant for post-hike dinner in Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not at all what you're looking for, but as I'm not at all comfortable in a 'class' restaurant hot, sweaty and dirty, that leaves the choice to the more informal or fast food places.

Last Saturday coming back from Jefferson, I decided to pull into the McDonald's in Gorham to see what the facilities were like. To my delight I found that behind the building there was a humongous parking lot with picnic tables--just what I was looking for.

I ordered a bacon and cheese Angus burger meal, went out back, got Lauky and went over to one of the round picnic tables next to the fence looking down on the river. I sat there, with Lauky beside me, looking down at the river and out at the beautiful multi-colored trees eating my Angus burger and quite frankly I thought: "It doesn't get much better than this.":)

Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but Brenda's Kitchen & Skeet's Pub has moved locations and has taken over the old Shakespeare's location. They have made the bar area larger, added a pool table, and doors to the dining area to cut down on noise. The menu is slowy being expanded, and now includes some salads, steak, and on Friday nights they server prime rib.

Great to see a fairly new family run business succeeding in Twin Mountain!

Rosa Flamingos in Bethlehem serves outstanding pizza as well as Italian/American fare.
Also serves the coldest beer in the Whites.

If you like good hot dogs check out the Weinie Wagon serving Sabrettes New York style dogs. It operates Wednesday & Friday afternoon at the Bethlehem Visitors Center and Saturday at Bethlehem Farmers Market. Weinie Wagon is run by VFTT's own Lost Hiker and True North.

... One of the women who worked there gave me the nickname, Lilly, and one of the expressions on the poster that was in the woman's bathroom has become a classic for my friends and me. (Any guesses?)

"Please Put the Seat Down" ?

Heresy Alert: After hearing so much about The Common Man, I finally went last month. I found it to be extraordinarily average. Food quality and portion size were ok, but just ok. Nothing at all wrong with it, I guess I just went in with my expectations set too high.

Calzones from Elvios in Lincoln. Gypsy Cafe'. Flapjacks for breakfast (the thickest, crunchiest bacon I've found anywhere....plus the model train set is so cool...I asked the waiter what's the difference between a flapjack and a pancake...his reply: "the spelling"). Woodstock Station (at first I looked through the windows and saw the white linen tableclothes and I got nervous, but then I walked around to the back and saw the entrance and eating area for the sweaty people.) Good Chinese place in Ashland (I think it's Ashland), about a mile off of Exit 24....go there when getting cheap gas off exit 24.

Have not read all the posts and not sure if the The Coffee Bean in Twin Mountain across from Four Seasons Hotel has been mentioned. They have yummy sandwiches , mostly I like the turkey gobbler and the bacon egg and cheese on a croissant.
Oh and Flatbread in North Conway...love the pizza and warm gingerbread cake with whip cream. : )

Last edited:
I've been hearing good report about the new pub in Campton called Woodpecker's. It's on the corner of Rt. 49 [heading to Waterville Valley off Exit 28] and Rt. 175.

Restaurant Update - Twin Mountain, Gorham

Just learned yesterday that Munroe's in Twin Mountain is open for dinner starting each July 4 through Columbus Day. (maybe all of you knew that, I didn't.) We ate there last night and it was great, home cooked food and friendly, clean atmostphere at reasonable prices.

Also in Gorham - there's a new place Thanksgivings by the Royalty Inn (where there used to be a mexican joint recently). True to its name, the menu us heavy on the turkey motif. Wish I could have convinced the gang to eat there, but not in the cards. - Also the Icy Gulch Smokehouse as mentioned before had a good size crowd on a Sunday afternoon, fwiw.

Rosa Flamingos in Bethlehem serves outstanding pizza as well as Italian/American fare.

What's the name of the place across from the theater ? We stopped there to look at the menu, like 3 things, pulled pork, brat and hummus, but it looked like it might be a fun spot with a few people after a hike for something to eat and a couple beers.

What's the name of the place across from the theater ?

Cold Mountain Cafe is approximately across from the theater, westerly up the hill a bit. I don't know if it's the place you mean, but it's a creative menu and extremely delicious, we've been twice and loved it both times. No credit cards.

Not Cold Mountain, though that looks like a very nice menu, more a "date night" restaurant. The one I mean is across from the theater to the east. The Place or The Situation ;), some name like that. VERY limited menu, small space inside with tables outside.

Whenever I am done hiking anywhere on the Kanc, I stop into GH Pizza for a quick slice.. I am usually too tired for much else. It's also a quick walk down the street to Steve Smith's shop if he's open post-hike.

Not Cold Mountain, though that looks like a very nice menu, more a "date night" restaurant. The one I mean is across from the theater to the east. The Place or The Situation ;), some name like that. VERY limited menu, small space inside with tables outside.

It's called The Social.

They serve Beer & Brats.

Probably the only thing I know that MichaelJ doesn't :p

SOCIAL 2055 is the place I'm thinking of. Owners are vintage motorcycle buffs. Sounds worth checking out next time we're there.

EDIT: Thanks 'Pa, found it at the same time you were posting.

Last edited:
At the southwest corner of the Whites, Rattlesnake Mountain offers a short trail to surprising views on top of some big cliffs (where there are some sport-climbing routes if you're into that). Stinson Mountain Grill hits the spot afterward; hearty food and good service at good prices. The downside is that during busy hours the patio is usually occupied by smokers. Note that the business is for sale (as are half the buildings in Rumney, it seems), so things may change soon.

Stinson Mountain Grill hits the spot afterward; hearty food and good service at good prices. . . . Note that the business is for sale (as are half the buildings in Rumney, it seems), so things may change soon.

Probably a spot you'd never encounter unless you lived around there or were hiking or climbing nearby, whether at Rattlesnake or (as rocksnrolls and I were in July '07) at Stinson and Carr Mtns. We loved it for just the reasons you mention, and I hope it survives.

Whenever I am done hiking anywhere on the Kanc, I stop into GH Pizza for a quick slice.. I am usually too tired for much else. It's also a quick walk down the street to Steve Smith's shop if he's open post-hike.

Yes, glad you mentioned them, they have good pastrami grinders, which you can't get where we are now, they are just not part of the culture here. I just wish GH had fries also.

Status
Not open for further replies.