Brook trail, Mt. Chocorua, search for a swamp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
This swamp caught my eye on the old USGS map long ago and I finally got to take a hike and search for it.

mapaaa.jpg

I got a GPS last year as a gift and I still don't know how to use it because my first attempt to learn it was unsuccessfull and I haven't sufficient desire to get beyond. I admit intellectual laziness with that which bores me. If it was a new camera I'd voraciously gobble the entire manual in hours.

Anyway, I wiffed on finding the swamp, although I do beleive I skirted the north edge of it.

I took the Brook Trail up the mountain.

053aaa-2.jpg

morning sun peaking through the canopy of a nice hemlock stand...

063aaa-2.jpg

This was my first hike on this trail and the first open ledges offer a nice view...

077aaa.jpg

Mountain ash berries are now big and ripe. This is a special tree because my family name, LaFreniere, is Franco for "mountain ash".

088aaa.jpg

089aaa-1.jpg

silverling in bloom ( in a spot somwhere along the way between the southern ledges of Chocorua summit and Little Sister summit ;) )...

113aaa-2.jpg

The first leg of the bushwack down the ridge was tough but the thick spruce/fir eventually gives way to a magical mixed forest with birch and hobblebush and moose maple.

I never found the heart of the swamp but I do think I hit the northern edge. I took too long to get there and I didn't have time to explore further but I really like the area and I'll be back when I have more time later this autumn.

Here's an interesting spot with extra heavy moose traffic.

122aaa-1.jpg

On the way down to the Bolles Trail I happened upon a porcupine. Being a dog person and a moose shed antler hunter, I'm not a huge fan. They are resident creatures and I love them all, but porkies can be trouble.

dog-quillin', shed antler-chewin' varmint!

025aaa-1.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Sorry - that Porkie is just darned cute! Looks like it was ready to chew your eyes out, though! :D