A steep and cheap oops!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Anybody catch this today? Steepandcheap.com had a women's $300 Marmot down jacket for $1. That's right, $1. It must have been an error. They had 20 or so and they sold out in about 15 seconds.

I'm waiting until they're 99 cents.

Yeah, the obvious number error would be typing 1.00 instead of 100.00 although sales 101 says it should be 99 dollars. Their software could also be defaulted to 1.00 and someone simply forgot to enter a value. The interesting part would be to see if they honor it and it eat the loss.

Maybe they could pull the old internet thing of stupid insanely low cost but the shipping is $250!

20 jackets at their cost (which might nothing if they got tossed in as a promo with some other shipment) is pretty cheap advertising. I'm sure they toss stuff like this out there every so often to drive traffic.

Email from S&C:
We have leftovers and getting rid of leftovers can be difficult... we're unloading premium gear. And we're unloading it for $1.
Not an error :)

I just received the email from them... at least 2 one dollar items per day, weekdays until they run out......

Last edited:
Just install the plug-in and it'll popup a message when new items come up for sale.

There's a Vista gadget too (works with Windows 7 also). I've found that it doesn't update/refresh as often as I'd like. It seems to take a minute to catch up with the current item on the site.

(Scored the $1 Kavu fleece yesterday :D )

Complete madness! Saw roughly 20 $100 fleece go for $1 in 15 seconds today.

Also, I believe there's normally 7-8K people on that website at any one point in time. That number was 12-15K throughout the day today. Looks like the word is definitely out.

It is madness! I was watching the web site just a few minutes ago when a women's soft shell jacket came up for $1 (can't remember the name brand). I immediately clicked to purchase and put all my info in, and when I went to checkout - it was already gone!!!! :mad: Someone else had been a bit faster!

Now my credit card is sitting on my desk, next to my keyboard!

:) Gotta love a good marketing ploy. If they really felt "getting rid of leftovers can be difficult... " they could donate the gear.

I'm sure you would need a name/address profile with credit card number already in their system to even get close to catching one of those $1 deals.

I have now gone into my account information and added shipping address, etc. so that I can just checkout with one click! Now, on the off chance I see a $1.00 sale, I might just snag one (or not).....

I have now gone into my account information and added shipping address, etc. so that I can just checkout with one click! Now, on the off chance I see a $1.00 sale, I might just snag one (or not).....

One-click checkout may not be enough, LB.

I have my account set up this way and STILL wasn't able to snag the Lafuma trailrunning shoes (for my daughter) that they just had up a few minutes ago. I watch the last few minutes of the previous item tick down, thinking that I might be able to grab a $1.00 deal if I saw it come up, but, alas, with more than 10K folks on the site right now, my mad mouse-clicking skillz fell short...

Curse you, Steep and Cheap!! <shakes fist>

One-click checkout may not be enough, LB.

I have my account set up this way and STILL wasn't able to snag the Lafuma trailrunning shoes (for my daughter) that they just had up a few minutes ago. I watch the last few minutes of the previous item tick down, thinking that I might be able to grab a $1.00 deal if I saw it come up, but, alas, with more than 10K folks on the site right now, my mad mouse-clicking skillz fell short...

Curse you, Steep and Cheap!! <shakes fist>

Problem is the number available....I saw Montrail shoes for one dollar- two pairs. Gone immediately. Two pairs for 8000 interested people. good luck to us ;)

One-click checkout may not be enough, LB. ...

Even if you're logged in, you still need to enter your password in the checkout screen. Type your password somewhere in plain text, then copy it to the clipboard. Then you can just paste it in (right-click + "paste") to the password field on the checkout screen. That will help speed up the checkout process.

However, at this point there are so many people watching for those deals that there is little chance of getting in before they sell out. I'm sure a few people out there have figured out a script that will automate the checkout process for them, giving them a clear advantage against us (we?) mere mortals.

Happy clicking :D

Well I happened to check the site today as it rolled over to $1 montrail climbing shoes. :rolleyes: I think there were 2 pair in each of 4 sizes. Gone as soon as I clicked. I wonder if there are "Buy-Bot" programs like the auction end bids on ebay ?