Compression Sack for Down Bag?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallbanger

Reaction score
The thread about stuff vs roll tents/sleeping bags brought up a question -- I've heard use of a compression sack makes the down significantly less "fluffy" permanently hence less effective - So can using a compression sack harm my down sleeping bag?

Hey WallB,
I use an Outdoor resarch waterproof compression sack. I wait till im ready to leave the house before i stuff it in my bag, and when i get to camp i pull it out right away. the same goes for when I get home its the first thing I take out of my pack and away it goes into its mesh bag. If you store it lofted and get it out of the compression sack as quick as you can it will be fine. Thats why we buy down bags, right? more compressable than synthetic and lighter to boot.

compression sacks

use the sack only while hiking/backpacking. once you are home you should always store a down sleeping bag out of any sack, preferably hanging over a hanger or something that won't snag or pierce it.