David Sibley at Tin Mountain in Albany, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
Tin Mountain Conservation Center's Nature Program Series presents David Sibley as he talks about and presents from his new tree guide.

Date: Tuesday, Nov. 3, 7PM - 8:30PM
Place: Tin Mountain Nature Learning Center
1245 Bald Hill Rd., Albany, NH 03818
(603)447-6991

Nature Programs are open to the public and free to members. A $3 donation for individuals or $5 donation per family is requested of non-members.

Come join us for this exciting evening!

I have heard him speak before. While not a high energy speaker he is extremely knowledgeable. I would encourage artists to go...he loves to talk about his technique and use of materials.

Puck, you're right. He is not one of those bowl-you-over speakers. I have seen him speak about his books and his art and research in the past and I have been very impressed. He is at the top of his field, in my estimation, with respect to non-traditional perspective on field guides and how they're presented, and therefore is not to be missed. We are so excited to have him coming to TMCC!

Bump

Our program with David Sibley is just one week away! If you're close enough to Conway/Albany, put this on your calendar now! Hope to see some of you there.

Bump ....

I would've posted this yesterday but I was out sick with the plague. :(

Here is the official press release for David Sibley's program tonight. I hope I can make it and I hope some of you can too!
~Chris

David Sibley, world-renowned naturalist,
Comes to the Tin Mountain Nature Learning Center
To talk about his new book “Guide to Trees”
this Tuesday evening, November 3 at 7 PM

Tin Mountain Conservation Center and White Birch Books will host an evening with world-renowned naturalist, birder, and artist David Allen Sibley on Tuesday, November 3rd at 7PM at the Tin Mountain Nature Learning Center on Bald Hill Rd in Albany, NH. Sibley will speak about his just-released his Guide to the Trees as well as natural history experiences that have brought him to where he is today.

David Sibley revolutionized field guides to birds and now has applied his skills of identification and illustration to 600+ tree species of North America. Similar in size and format to The Sibley Guide to Birds, species are arranged taxonomically, not by features such as leaf shape as in most other guides. Sibley’s exquisitely detailed paintings reveal the very subtle similarities and distinctions between tree species. As innovative, comprehensive, and indispensable as The Sibley Guide to Birds, E.O. Wilson calls it, “A beautiful, masterful, and much-needed work that will henceforth be our guide to the North American trees.”

When asked why a tree guide Sibley responded, “I've been studying trees for as long as I’ve been bird watching. Whenever I’m out in the field observing birds I’m also observing habitat. I’m noticing everything. It’s impossible for a naturalist to study just one thing, since they are all connected. The actual work on the book began seven years ago, soon after the bird guide was completed.”

Sibley continues, “Bird populations in North America have changed dramatically since the 1500s, but it’s still possible to see almost all the same species, and in pretty much the same places and times, as the early European explorers saw them. But the tree landscape we see today is dramatically different from what our ancestors saw 500 years ago. In Massachusetts where I live, there are only small patches of old-growth forest. Most have been cut multiple times during the last few centuries, and what we call “mature” forest today are trees under 100-years-old. Add introduced diseases that have all but eliminated species like American chestnut and non-native species like Norway maple, and it’s a very different landscape. If Audubon or Thoreau came back today, they would see a lot of familiar birds, but the changes in the forests would shock them.”

Sibley began seriously watching and drawing birds in 1969, at age seven. Intensive travel for and study of birds culminated in his comprehensive guide to bird identification, The Sibley Guide to Birds, followed by The Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior, Sibley’s Birding Basics, The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America, and The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America.

Tin Mountain Conservation Center Nature Programs are made possible thanks to L.L. Bean, the Evenor Armington Fund & NRCS. Donations of $3 per person or $5 per family. For more information on this and upcoming programs, classes, and events at Tin Mountain Conservation Center, contact Donna at 603-447-6991. Learn more about other Tin Mountain programs at
www.tinmountain.org.