Wonalancet & Hibbard - Wonalancet, Walden, Old Mast Rd. Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenPeaks

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 10-11-09

Trail Conditions: The Wonalancet trail to the summit is covered and leaves and hard to follow in spots. However, there are lots of blazes to follow. On the ridge to Mt. Hibbard the trail is in good shape. A couple minor blowdowns that are easy to get around/over. Mt. Hibbard to Walden Trail is easy. Walden trail to Old Mast Rd. is good. Some wet leaves to watch out for on the steep parts. Old Mast Rd. in great shape.

Special Equipment Required: Bring a camera. Lots of great views on this loop. Also bring general fall hiking gear (fleece, windbreaker, hat, etc.)

Comments: There's a steep section of trail just below the ledge on Mt. Wonalancet that I thought was going to be the hardest part of the day. Boy was I wrong. The Walden Trail has some very steep sections between the second view point and the Old Mast Rd. Several areas we had to scramble down rock faces and watch our footing on slippery steep rock steps. Overall, this is a really nice loop, but I recommend doing it counter clockwise so you go up the steepest parts.

Your name: TenPeaks and Ladybug

Your E-mail address: [email protected]