Keeping those 4 legged hikers safe around Halloween

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Bookah was in for her annual checkup and shots today and the vet's office had a Halloween warning posted.

Chocolate contains Theobromine which is toxiC to dogs in sufficient quantities. A toxic dose is as follows:
1 oz per pound of body weight for milk chocolate.
1 oz per 3 pounds of body weight for semisweet chocolate.
1 oz per 9 pounds of body weight for baker's chocolate.
2 oz of baker's chocolate can cause great risk to a 15lb dog, but 2oz of milk chocolate usually will only case digestive problems.
THE DARKER THE CHOCOLATE, THE MORE DANGEREROUS IT IS TO YOUR DOG

The vet had another notice posted, something I was unaware of.
Xylitol, a sugar free sweetener found in sugarless gum, candies, Tic Tacs, toothpaste, children's medications, mouthwashes, chewable vitamins, and many food products is high toxic to dogs.

Thanks for the reminder, and as I pull plastic, paper, rocks, bark, leaves, shoes, socks, blanket corners, and other sundries out of Leo's mouth, I'd like to add that grapes and tomatoes are potentially dangerous too. Probably more to smaller dogs, since I ignorantly used to feed them to my labs.

Oh, and we are not giving rawhide chews any longer. Both the breeder and the vet emphasized the countless number of surgeries needed to clear intestinal obstructions.