Backpack for Beginner Female

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundare

Reaction score
Hi,

I am making the transition from dayhiker to dayhiker/backpacker and have been dragging my wife along for the ride. She is going to be doing her first overnighter the easy way (via the huts), but we are planning a couple of overnights for the fall and have already agreed on doing the MSGT in the late spring.

She currently uses a Kelty Redwing for day hikes and will be taking it to the huts. She will need something bigger to accomodate more stuff for backpacking trips and I would like to keep an eye on web deals and pick one out.

Right now, her possibilities would be to use my EMS Ascent Rucksack, an REI LongTrail which I dont use anymore, or the Kelty I previously mentioned.

The questions I had were:

Does it matter whether its a female specific pack or not?

Does anyone have any suggestions for packs that would make a good starter that could be used for overnighters to up to 3 or 4 days.

As usual, the help is always appreciated.

Dundare

Hi Dundare,

I don't want to list specific packs because they change every year and mine is a few years old. I looked for years for a backpacker's pack and when I was trying them on, I found out after I picked one out and said, "yes, that one!" that what I picked was a pack for women. I guess since most women are a little smaller, the packs for women are meant to fit on a smaller torso. It does make a huge difference when it's filled with gear and you're carrying the weight of it on your back for hours - or even days. I don't think it's a matter of gender as much as it is body size. Either way, I think the key is to find a store that can measure your wife. Most reputable hiking supply stores should be able to do that for her. After that, it would depend on what's in stock at the store - either that or check some of the great websites for hiking supplies. I hear campmor is the best but I've never ordered from them.

Just a few other points - some of the packs are what they call 'internal' or 'external' - that is, some of your gear like the sleeping bag and tent would be carried outside the pack for the external pack, but inside for the internal. I found that what was most comfortable for me was not what was suggested. For me, it was a matter of how the weight was distributed on my back. I prefered the external. So, whatever you decide, I think it would be best to bring your wife to the store to try things on and see what she likes.

As an ex-marketing person I am not crazy about SOME backpacking/hiking gear that is marketed towards women. I think "snowshoes for women" are at the top of my hit list. A pack "that fits" is the best pack for your wife...whether it is a "woman's pack"or a "man's pack". I think the best advice I can give you is this:

* Try to determine what she will be responsible to carry in terms of cubic inches and weight. It's probably a good idea for her to carry 25% of her body weight OR LESS if she's just starting to backpack, unless she is in great shape to begin with. So...for instance if your wife weighs 100 lbs start her out at about 25lbs. max. She would probably do fine with a 3100 ci pack or less (plus if you get her a small pack you won't be tempted to load her up).

* Go to a store that will measure her frame and throw in about 25 lbs. of stuff from the store..have her walk around with it. There are some GREAT lightweight packs on the market that carry 30 lbs or less VERY WELL. Unfortunately what feels good in the store won't necessarily feel good after you've been hauling it around for awhile so look for red flags. Example: I have a Golite Speed that I love, ...I can cram 3-4 days worth of gear in it (during the summer months) but after day 2 my little hip bones are screaming...with NO padding on the hip belt and very little fat on my hips it HURTS...so I tend to NOT use that pack if I'm going out for more than an overnight.

* Also be careful, there are a lot of packs out there that I would classify as "overly engineered packs"...they can carry a ton of gear, but weigh a LOT. Why start hiking with a handicap, if the pack weighs 7 lbs to START WITH that adds to her total pack weight ...if she carrys under 30 lbs it's not truly necessary to buy a pack that weighs a lot.

Good luck!!!

female pack recc

whether a female specific pack or generic, the most important thing is how it fits you. keep in mind that the "female" specific pack is a bit of a marketing tool and althougth they do say they have diff specs don't pay more for that over a "generic" pack. as far as internal or external; that' s a matter of preference. i differ w/ the prev post's definition; an external pack has external framework. it can have compartments for everything/ with nothing exposed. an internal pack has all the support basically internally and no major metal rods to contend with as you will see with the external packs. most folks have geared away from external packs due to weight but some stand strongly by them bec they tend to carry the weight better and rest more comfortable on your hips whereas internal packs can pull more on your shoulders(hot true in all cases but just trying to show you some differences). in any case, get one that has top notch support and waistband. don't go cheesy here. make sure the straps are cushioned well and the pack sits properly for you. many sites will tell you how to measure so you know exactly what length to order. sometimes sierra trading & other web sites have great packs on sale and you can try them and ret w/o problems. or visit a local store and try various ones on. you honestly don't have to spend a fortune and packs are getting lighter and lighter. comfort and support are the most important features and most will have a separate compartment for storing your sleeping bag, and of course hydration bladders.

Packs

FWIW, I personally found the Arc'Teryx Bora pack great for me because the straps are padded nicely. If your wife is built anything like me, with bony shoulders, that extra padding made all the difference. I previously used a North Face pack and the thinner straps made my shoulders, particularly the top part, feel very sore. At the end of backpacking trips, I very often would be listing to one side!

That said, as everyone else has mentioned -- "female" specific packs probably are more of a marketing tool than anything else. Some places will allow you to rent out gear. That might be worth it rather than plunking down serious cash first.

I recently purchased a new pack and bought the Gregory Electra. This is a woman's specific pack. I tried on a lot of packs (ask Audrey, I put the saleswoman at Wild Women Outfitters through her paces and then didn't even buy a pack there!!!) Nothing was quite fitting properly. I have a very short torso, and that is part of the problem. I have a Gregory Gravity which I like very much (this is not a woman's specific pack). There are lots of ways to adjust the Gregory packs and they come in small and extra-small sizes (good for folks with short torsos.) I tried the Electra at REI, but found it didn't seem like a good fit. The hip belt, which I love on my Gravity, didn't seem right - I thought it was too small, but the salesman at REI was waiting on a lot of people when I was there, and I just gave up and left.

Later, I went to EMS (I had a gift certificate) and tried on the Gregory Forester. The salesperson loaded it up with about 30 pounds and it felt great. The load was distributed well, and the hip belt was very comfortable. I was close to buying the Forester when the salesperson got me to try the Electra. I explained I hadn't liked it when I had tried it on before, but gave it a shot. The first thing I noticed is that it carried the load so much better than the Forester. The pack itself weights almost a pound more than the Forester, but the 30 pounds felt like less than 20!! Still, I was unhappy with the hip belt. Finally, we decided to exchange the small belt with a medium. What a difference. I bought the Electra and have used it three times - once on a 5 day trip in the Grand Canyon. I am very happy with it.

The bottom line is - go for comfort. Try on lots of packs. Compare fit, the weight of the packs empty, and the way in which it carries the load. Don't settle for something if the fit doesn't quite seem right. Ask the salesperson ways to adjust the pack. Even the smallest adjustment can make a huge difference. I tried on several packs that would have worked, but none felt quite like the Electra did once I got it adjusted for me.

Good luck!

I have an Osprey Luna 75 - I bought it at Hilton's Tent City in Boston - where they have a big selection of different packs to try on. I liked the fact that they fitted me with a custom size - an extra small hit belt with a small harness. REI will do this for you too - they will put together a pack that fits you and not just sell you a medium pack. I like Osprey because they have small daypack clipped into the front of the pack - so you can ditch the big pack and take the little one up a peak from camp.

Recently I hiked for seven days on the Long Trail and the Osprey performed well. I had never carried 45 lbs before (gulp), and I'm not sure if I will carry that much again (unless it's on a sled!).

Take your gear to the store

If you are looking to buy a pack that will fit everything you are taking and be comfortable too?...

Take all the gear you are going to carry to the store with you. Pack it as you would on the trip to see just how the pack will feel and handle. If it needs adjustments the salesperson can make it for you since they are familiar with their products, if not take your business somewhere else.

Estimating cubic inches and load transfer is not easy to imagine with an empty pack. The center of gravity, hip load support, lumbar adjustments, all are not obvious till it is loaded.

good luck

re Backpacks

As a lightweight, I switched to Golite pack which has worked out for me. I just can't carry a ton of weight or even what might be normal weight amounts for most.

There isn't alot of the bells and whistles on this pack but it works for me. I can't see the point of starting out with a pack that already weighs 5 lbs. I thought I would never be able to enjoy backpacking.

The only thing I wish it had was a couple of pockets on the outside and the clip to me is a little cheap but other than that...

We went into Hilton's Tent City (I love that place) tonite and she tried on a whole bunch and knew the one she wanted the minute she tried it on. We ended up getting the Osprey Ariel 60, which she wore around the store woth 45 pounds of weight on it (more than she probably will ever carry and beyond the range listed ont he pack) and found it very comfortable.

Again, thanks for all the advice and time you took to answer. Hopefully she ends up liking this one and carries it alot of places.

Dundare

Last edited:
Once you select the right backpack the next challenge is to pack it correctly and distribute the weight so that it is balanced both symetrically and vertically (too high raises your center of gravity, too low kind of drags you down). Sadly, I have yet to master this art as indicated by the bruise developed on my right shoulder after a recent backpack ... I attribute it to an unbalanced bottle of Chianti stored in a side pocket ... next time I'll decant it into a lighter weight container and try better to provide opposing balance ... hmmm, like another decanter of wine on the other side.

I try to travel light but have difficulty convincing anyone of that while I tote vino and an 8" iron pan. But every time I return from a trip I analyze what I brought and what I really needed and inevitably cut out something significant. Aside from the aforementioned critical items and a few emergency items, I have a few rules of thumb for packing: 1) safety over sanitation (whatever you smell like), 2) duplicate or triplicate uses for as much of what you pack as possible, 3) you can go longer without a change of clothes than you think (but fresh socks are always a treat to your feet), 4) plan your meals to consume heavier items first.

I'm sure long distance backpackers can weigh in with even better tips. Happy hiking!

As a followup, my wife loved the Osprey. After trucking it up to Galehead over to Bond and then on to Zealand, she swears she hardly felt it on her shoulders despite the increased weight.

It was her first time carrying a full pack (29.2 pounds) and for multiple days (2 + the jaunt down to Zealand trailhead from the hut). Her legs are sore, but no chafing, no sore back/neck, no problems at all. Best yet, she is ready for a backpack into the Pemi. All in all it couldnt have been a better trip. Thanks for all the advice and helpful suggestions.

Yes, that same pack was the choice of most female thru-hikers i met on the AT last summer. Sounds like an excellent choice.