Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plastic boots

After a while you start to accumulate boots. I think I have four pairs of boots & last years trail shoes & this years. The boots I wore the other day are just slightly more flexible than my plastics but do well in mud & slush. I've got enough so I can micromanage which ones I need for November weather or September on rocky terrain or in the woods on dirt. (Somebody had to take Imelda Marcos place!)

As far as summer goes, I've given up keeping my feet dry on wet hikes, if they dry out quickly ater oing through the brook I'm happy. (the summer shoes fit well so I don't get blisters when they are wet.)

If you are going to need crampons or the snowshoes are going to used on steep terrain, (up East Osceola for example) stiff boots (either plastics or heavy leater crampon compatiable boots are the way to go)

A weekend camping in the Pemi & staying low is ideal for Sorels. Sure some people have stood on Washington withSorels & some have camped in the Pemi in plastics.

Gear has changed, Katoola (spelling is likely off) makes a type of crampon that you could just about put on sneakers. They aren't up for vertical ice but they would handle almost all regular hikes up the 4,000 footers. Companies (TNF, Columbia, Merrell also make soft insulated winter shoes great for snowshoe use)

If you hike with the same AMC group after a while, they will get to know you & your ability to hike & to stay warm. Some of the leaders are now wearing the alternative boots. If they don't know you, they would much rather be safe than sorry.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Nobleboro, Maine Avatar: Even my shadow hikes!
    I have just a few pairs of boots for winter, and thus some observations:

My feet have been cold in plastics. Anyone waiting on belay in sub zero temps has experienced this.

My feet have also been wet in plastics, but not very often.

My Scarpas are about 1/2 the weight of my Koflach's (two types), and lighter than my Danner GTX leathers.

With the heat-modifiable liner, the Scrapas are more comfortable than my leathers.

I love plastic boots in winter, even on level terrain, and look forward to wearing them.
    Appearances are not everything, it just looks like they are.

General info:
    * Plastic itself does not offer much insulation. Most of the insulation is in the liner (removable or fixed).
    * Plastic is waterproof. This keeps outside moisture out, but it also tends to keep perspiration in.
    * Plastic boots can be at least somewhat flexible. (Any pair of plastic Tele boots has a flexible forefoot.) They do not break in (although the liner can compress to fit).

* Leather also does not offer much insulation. Again most of the insulation is in the liner (removable or fixed).
    * Treated leather is somewhat waterproof. (I have walked through streams with my leather double winter boots without noticeable dampness in the boots.) Inside moisture can diffuse out slowly.
    * Leather breaks in to flex with your foot. Thus it is easier to have comfortable boots.
    * Seams tend to leak--the best leather boots have a minimum of seams.

Doug

If your concern is being warm, check out the new rechargeable heated boots from Columbia.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
    If your concern is being warm, check out the new rechargeable heated boots from Columbia.
    $250. ?

I got some 1200 gram thinsulate boots for under $100 on sale late winter a few years ago. Leather, stiff, waterproof and heavy. My crampons are too small for them or I may have to notch the boots to make thm fit. I haven't decided yet. I've been down to zero and stepped in ankle deep water so far with no problem.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

Quote Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
    $250. ?

I got some 1200 gram thinsulate boots for under $100 on sale late winter a few years ago. Leather, stiff, waterproof and heavy. My crampons are too small for them or I may have to notch the boots to make thm fit. I haven't decided yet. I've been down to zero and stepped in ankle deep water so far with no problem.
    That's why you make the big bucks Rich...to splurge on rechargeable boots.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
    That's why you make the big bucks Rich...to splurge on rechargeable boots.
    I'll look at them again when the come with a solar charger.

Can you imaging hiking with solar cells embedded on your hat and shoulders, kinetic electrical generators in the heal of your boots and on your wrists that power all your gadgets energy needs.

OOO! OOOO!! Solar cells incorporated into tent flies. Low level lighting, music, refrigeration, heat & air conditioning. Glamping!
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena