plastic boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nundagao

Reaction score
It seems like plastic mountaineering boots (like Koflachs) would be the very thing for slogging through deep mudholes and hiking in cold, wet conditions. Leather boots, even with Gore-tex membranes or thoroughly Sno-sealed, will eventually soak through. Yet I hardly ever see hikers in plastic boots. Everyone has leather boots. What's the downside with plastic?

It seems like plastic mountaineering boots (like Koflachs) would be the very thing for slogging through deep mudholes and hiking in cold, wet conditions. Leather boots, even with Gore-tex membranes or thoroughly Sno-sealed, will eventually soak through. Yet I hardly ever see hikers in plastic boots. Everyone has leather boots. What's the downside with plastic?

They're heavy, for one. And the soles are inflexible, with a bit of a rocker, that makes them hard to use on anything but snow, or with crampons or snowshoes. Under those conditions though, they're pretty nice.

They're heavy, for one. And the soles are inflexible, with a bit of a rocker, that makes them hard to use on anything but snow, or with crampons or snowshoes. Under those conditions though, they're pretty nice.

^^^This iz korrekt.

Plastics are all about support and typically have very little "give" or flexibility. When winter hiking, the snowpack provides the cushioning.

Ever try hiking in downhill ski boots? Plastic mountaineering boots are only about one step removed... :rolleyes:

Also, plastics are by no means waterproof, meaning your feet can still get wet. However, the materials used -- ABS plastic for the shells and closed cell foam for the liners -- won't freeze up like leather hiking boots will.

For winter hiking/climbing, though, they're the shiznit!

Perhaps my first pair of plastic boots were of poor quality, but they were never comfortable. As an experiment one winter day, I wore my plastic on my right foot and my Sorel Quest on my left. After that I sold my plastics. And a few years later I had to have a new pair of plastics for a Rainier climb, found some in my size - on sale - and have been very happy with them. For climbs, but still not for hiking as they are heavy.

As an experiment one winter day, I wore my plastic on my right foot and my Sorel Quest on my left. After that I sold my plastics.

:) C'mon, that's not even fair. No plastic will ever be as comfortable as a Sorel. But if you had done the same test for a winter gully climb, you may have sold the Sorels. ;)

VERY loosely laced (which is how they should be if you're not climbing), my plastics are only a bit less comfortable than my Montrail Olympus's'es'.

I wear Lasportiva Lohtses and no they do not eventually soak through ever and they are way more comfortable then plastics, which are basically torture racks for your feet.

I'm sorry, Chip. You're right! :p When I first started hiking in winter I thought I "must" have plastic boots. But I didn't need them for the hiking I was doing. In truth, I didn't need them for another six or so years. (The example I used as a test was a hike of Star King and Waumbek.) My Sorel Quest boots were not acceptable for AMC winter hikes then because the lining in that middle did not come out. Technology has improved with more than wicking jackets, thank goodness.

This question comes up every year in some form or other. If you do searches you'll find some good info on the whys and wherefores of plastic boots versus insulated snowboots (not summer boots, but non-plastic boots designed for winter travel). Every experienced winter hiker has her/her slightly different criteria as to when to wear their plastics vs. their snowboots, and it's all good. But, most experienced winter hikers find that their summer boots aren't warm enough. Not all, but most.

Last edited:
This question comes up ever year in some form or other. If you do some searches you'll find some good info on the whys and wherefores of plastic boots versus insulated snowboots (not summer boots, but non-plastic boots designed for winter travel). Every experienced winter hiker has her/her slightly different criteria as to when to wear their plastics vs. their snowboots, and it's all good. But, most experienced winter hikers find that their summer boots aren't warm enough. Not all, but most.

To chime in on this, you'll find that just about everyone wears leather winter boots (Sorels, etc) on easy hikes through rolling terrain with gentle hills or no hills at all. You'll also find that just about everyone wears plastic boots for steep pitches covered in solid ice that require technical skills and the use of mountaineering crampons and ice axes.

As for where inbetween these two bookends of winter hikes the switch from leather to plastic is made, that tends to be a matter of personal preference.

In the winter, I personally wear leather boots for anything below treeline, and plastic boots for anything that will require a significant amount of travel above treeline. As has been mentioned, plastic boots feel very similar to ski boots (although they aren't quite as bad) and wearing them can tire you out faster than leather boots would. They do get better once you get used to them and have broken a pair in, however.

Neos

I just got a pair of NEOS (New England Overshoe) for winter hiking on the recommendation of friend who has never gotten wet or cold feet. I'll be using them this weekend to see how I like them (including some river crossings).

I too hate that "waterproof" boots never are. My goretex insulated boots got wet in a few inches of snow this weekend, but I was expecting that.

plastics, redux

Just to chime in, you cannot beat plastics for warmth in the winter. If you have poor circulation and get cold easily, both true for me, you will likely see that you can actually enjoy winter hiking/climbing without worrying about freezing your feet.

Note, for women: I have an old pair of women's koflachs. At one point I tried to replace with new ones, in a men's version, BUT went back to the old ones.Be careful to get shoes that are narrow enough for your feet--I found the men's shoes boxy and uncomfortable...sometimes it seems like a gimmick but with these boots anyway, the fit was noticably different for the M and F versions...

Ah yes, the plastic v. leather debate. Winter must be near.

I hate plastics and wear leather boots all winter. They are step-in crampon compatable, leather-lined, boots that I wear VBLs with, and are otherwise in bare feet. Love 'em.

After a while you start to accumulate boots. I think I have four pairs of boots & last years trail shoes & this years. The boots I wore the other day are just slightly more flexible than my plastics but do well in mud & slush. I've got enough so I can micromanage which ones I need for November weather or September on rocky terrain or in the woods on dirt. (Somebody had to take Imelda Marcos place!:D)

As far as summer goes, I've given up keeping my feet dry on wet hikes, if they dry out quickly ater oing through the brook I'm happy. (the summer shoes fit well so I don't get blisters when they are wet.)

If you are going to need crampons or the snowshoes are going to used on steep terrain, (up East Osceola for example) stiff boots (either plastics or heavy leater crampon compatiable boots are the way to go)

A weekend camping in the Pemi & staying low is ideal for Sorels. Sure some people have stood on Washington withSorels & some have camped in the Pemi in plastics.

Gear has changed, Katoola (spelling is likely off) makes a type of crampon that you could just about put on sneakers. They aren't up for vertical ice but they would handle almost all regular hikes up the 4,000 footers. Companies (TNF, Columbia, Merrell also make soft insulated winter shoes great for snowshoe use)

If you hike with the same AMC group after a while, they will get to know you & your ability to hike & to stay warm. Some of the leaders are now wearing the alternative boots. If they don't know you, they would much rather be safe than sorry.

I have just a few pairs of boots for winter, and thus some observations:

My feet have been cold in plastics. Anyone waiting on belay in sub zero temps has experienced this.

My feet have also been wet in plastics, but not very often.

My Scarpas are about 1/2 the weight of my Koflach's (two types), and lighter than my Danner GTX leathers.

With the heat-modifiable liner, the Scrapas are more comfortable than my leathers.

I love plastic boots in winter, even on level terrain, and look forward to wearing them.

General info:
* Plastic itself does not offer much insulation. Most of the insulation is in the liner (removable or fixed).
* Plastic is waterproof. This keeps outside moisture out, but it also tends to keep perspiration in.
* Plastic boots can be at least somewhat flexible. (Any pair of plastic Tele boots has a flexible forefoot.) They do not break in (although the liner can compress to fit).

* Leather also does not offer much insulation. Again most of the insulation is in the liner (removable or fixed).
* Treated leather is somewhat waterproof. (I have walked through streams with my leather double winter boots without noticeable dampness in the boots.) Inside moisture can diffuse out slowly.
* Leather breaks in to flex with your foot. Thus it is easier to have comfortable boots.
* Seams tend to leak--the best leather boots have a minimum of seams.

Doug

If your concern is being warm, check out the new rechargeable heated boots from Columbia.

$250. ?

I got some 1200 gram thinsulate boots for under $100 on sale late winter a few years ago. Leather, stiff, waterproof and heavy. My crampons are too small for them or I may have to notch the boots to make thm fit. I haven't decided yet. I've been down to zero and stepped in ankle deep water so far with no problem.