microspikes or crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Hi all...

Hoping to get to the Carters on Sunday (since Saturday will officially SUCK)...

The plan: up 19-mi brook to carter dome to carter-moriah...hit Carter Dome, Mt. Height...down to the hut...up and back to Wildcat A...then back to the car via the 19-mi brook.

With all this rain/sleet/snow/cold weather this week and Saturday :)mad:)...should we take our crampons (to get up and down the the notch to the hut) or will microspikes suffice? Note: we are not ones who bare boot over more than just the littlies ice (and usually only if we can get around it).

Thanks, as always, for the info.

It's awfully early in the season for crampons. Microspikes will do less damage to the trail, tree roots, and your ankles.

Just check the MWO Saturday late to see what they got & what the temp ends up being at night. You may find that a lot of the steep stuff ends up setting up with a decent coating of ice.

If I have both, I'd bring both. It's good practice for winter carrying extra gear:D (FWIW, I only own crampons)

I'd like to say definitively what to use but I've got another week or so 'till I get over that way.

I can honestly say, though, that I hope you need full-on snow shoes!

C'mon snow!!

:cool::D:cool:

Micro Spikes

Did the Gale River up and over S and N Twin last Sunday. Very icey and good amount of snow at the higher elevations. Micro spikes worked fine. One in our party had 10 point crampon. This was fine but somewhat an overkill.

Im old school, crampons only, until now, I just bought my first pair of micro-spikes after hearing all the positive feedback form vfft members. They look like the ticket, hopefull they will hold up, will post a review later. The truth is, crampons are overkill this time of year and since I broke my ankle a few years back, Im suseptable to "rolling" my ankle, nothing does that better then crampons on rock.

Repairing Micor Spikes

One other thing about Micro Spikes; Bring needle nose pliers (or Letterman). Not one trip goes by that someones Micro Spikes need repair. The links connecting the chain an spike to the rubber binding are not fused. They can and do come apart on a regular basis. Easy to fix, but a pain. :(

One other thing about Micro Spikes; Bring needle nose pliers (or Letterman). Not one trip goes by that someones Micro Spikes need repair. The links connecting the chain an spike to the rubber binding are not fused. They can and do come apart on a regular basis. Easy to fix, but a pain. :(

This comment has been percolating in my head since I saw it, and I am now contemplating adding this product to my gear (which includes crampons and Stabilicers -- which I have enjoyed repeatedly without losing any studs).

Here's a question: have many others experienced the link failure in Microspikes; is it common? I'd appreciate hearing from more users.

Thanks,

--Mike.

Here's a question: have many others experienced the link failure in Microspikes; is it common? I'd appreciate hearing from more users.

No link failures here. However, we just bought ours last November. (Alex and I have each used ours on 11 all-day hikes). We love them.

Microspikes...

I've used mine for a few years now and agree that they do need adjusting every now and then. When I first got them I used to get stopped by people all the time on the trail asking what they were...now everyone seems to have them. They're great for certain conditions.

Many miles on my microspikes with no adjustments needed..

they are starting to look a little dull when compared with someone's brandy new ones though:)

Maybe this should be a separate thread... but...

In addition to crampons, I have Stabilicers; are they a good substitute for Microspikes? (I'd never heard of mS's until I saw this thread.)

Maybe this should be a separate thread... but...

In addition to crampons, I have Stabilicers; are they a good substitute for Microspikes? (I'd never heard of mS's until I saw this thread.)

Click on the tag at the bottom of this thread ("traction"). Scroll through the past threads shown. You may find all and more of what you want to know.

Thanks, Carole and Doug.

Carole, I'd never used (or even noticed) those tags before, but followed the "traction" tag as you suggested. [(slap slap); that's the sound of my knuckles being rapped for not doing a better search before posting.] But dozens of posts didn't provide the answer; they were nearly all about the "crampon vs micro/Stab" tradeoff.

Doug, that's what I finally inferred: good, but not perfect, substitutes. Thanks --- I think I'll pick up some micros if the local REI has them in stock.

I've never lost studs from my STABILicers, but I have seen studs lost from "something" of the trail. Neither have I had the chains on my MICROspikes come undone. Perhaps I'm not aggressive enough?

My STABILicers are now retired as spares, kept with the spare tire in my car. MICROspikes stay on my feet better and offer superior traction. And as Doug said, they weigh less and take up less room in my pack when I'm not wearing them.