microspikes or crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks as well to the responders; it seems there is some issue of spike links coming loose, but not prevalent.

As a happy user of Stabilicers, I've been considering Microspikes as a lighter-weight alternative, with perhaps a slightly different specialty (deeper snow / thicker ice, where the spikes won't get bent?) and plan to buy a set.

Appreciative,

--M.

As a happy user of Stabilicers, I've been considering Microspikes as a lighter-weight alternative, with perhaps a slightly different specialty (deeper snow / thicker ice, where the spikes won't get bent?) and plan to buy a set.
--M.

My wife and I started using the Microspikes when they first came out and have put the stabilicers in the spare gear bag, mainly because, as others have said, for the reduced weight and take up less room. We have never had a problem with the links, I did an inspection after reading this thread and everything looks good. Also we have never bent a spike and we don't hesitate to cross the rocks if we have to, it doesn't feel right but no problems yet. We liked them so much that we each bought another set in case they were taken off the market (not worried about that any more) and we sometimes loan out the extras. those borrowers usually end up buying their own ASAP.

We also have crampons and carry those when the conditions could warrant them (usually any winter day). We did one hike last winter over Lincoln and Lafayette. Microspikes up the falling waters trail, crampons above tree line and snowshoes down OBP.

Microspikes rock

We liked them so much that we each bought another set in case they were taken off the market (not worried about that any more) and we sometimes loan out the extras. those borrowers usually end up buying their own ASAP.

I'll second what Oldmanwinter said. I can't say enough good things about microspikes. My only complaint is "Why did it take so long for some one to invent them!?" I bought microspikes for myself and my girlfriend a year ago. We now *swear* by them. They work for 80% (or more) of the Winter hiking conditions we encoutner in the White Mountains. We've had several friends go out and by a pair after borrowing ours for only one hike or just seeing how well ours worked while they were slipping around.

This past weekend, my girlfriend and I hiked up Mt. Washington, up Ammonoosuc Trail and down Jewel trail. About halfway up Ammonoosuc, the rocks and slabs were getting way too slippery with thin ice, so we threw on the microspikes. As we got to the Lake of the Clouds hut, there was a lot of bare rock, but still enough ice to slip and break a leg on if you weren't careful. We kept the microspikes on all the way up Crawford Path, to the Washington summit, and down to Jewel Trail ... grinding on bare rocks and patches of ice the whole way. The microspikes took the abuse with no problems whatsoever. I finally took mine off when we started down Jewel Trail, but my girlfriend kept her's on the whole way down -- she liked the sure-footed traction in the dirt, espcially as it got dark (!!). I inspected both of our pairs of microspikes last night when we got home. Again, no problems at all. No links prying open, no nothing. I was amazed because I thought all of the hiking on bare rock would (at a minimum) dull the spikes a lot. The spikes might not be quite as sharp as when I bought them, but they're not far off (keep in mind that microspikes aren't super sharp like crampons to begin with).

Obviously, I am super impressed with our microspikes so far ... :)

FYI -- I am 165 lbs and my girlfriend is 115 lbs. So we're a little on the "light" side. It's possible that some of the problems people have had are weight-related (not to be read as "overweight"). I'm sure a 200 lb guy would be exerting much greater forces on the micropikes than I would.

I'm not the most extreme winter treker, but I have been on enough trails in shear ice, including alpine zone. I used to use 10-point crampons until I tried the microspikes. The microspikes handle anything I've encountered. They are less likely to be overkill and they go on and off much easier.

I don't use ropes, etc. This is strictly trail hiking. I don't use plastic boots because I must be comfortable. Otherwise, it's no fun and I don't do lists, so no reason to be uncomfortable.

Never tried Stabilicers, so can't compare there.

Microspikes are incredibly easy to pack.

HTH

I finally took mine off when we started down Jewel Trail, but my girlfriend kept her's on the whole way down -- she liked the sure-footed traction in the dirt, espcially as it got dark (!!).

Oh yeah, I learned last springtime that they are wonderful on steep terrain even without snow or ice. Leaves can be quite slippery and I found that the microspikes were wonderful in this situation.

Some other things I like about micros -- you can wear them over trail runners and I've even kept them on my boots when I've had to switch over to MSRs -- and they've been suprisingly comfortable. Saves time changing over.

I just picked up some of the Trampons at Ragged Mountain and will report on them as soon as things ice over. They were the same price as Microspikes, but since everyone else has those, I decided to give these a try.

Knowing your thrifty reputation they must be a reasonable price as well. I've had plenty of pulled links and very dull points on my microspikes (its that weight per contact point crap I have to deal with). I had contemplated making new point plates for mine out of stainless. I like having an intermediate traction device to save wearing the crampons on mixed easy terrain.

I have a rule: "never pay retail", but I did violate it. I did some research, was going to order a set online, and was surprised to see them at Ragged last Saturday, so I bought them. They were $59, the same price as the Microspikes, and actually look very similar in their construction. Due to the flat hinged plate crampon on the bottom, instead of the chain on the Microspikes, I doubt they would be as good for trail running, but I don't have to worry about that over the winter.

Last edited:
Trampons look great!

Wow. Those trampons look great! I like Microspikes, but have always felt they were a little light on points. This product looks like a big improvement for minimal extra cost. The plastic web that stretches over the boot seems bit over-stressed too and Trampons replaces this web part with nice designed chain. The tooth material is also hardened steel so should be more durable and amenable to sharpening too! Many great improvements in this product!!!

Anyone ever notice how if you're not careful when stretching micro-spikes over your boot they can go flying off like a sling shot if you lose your grip? It may seem comical if it happens on normal terain, but if it happened to you on steep trail you could lose your traction device right when you need it the most!

Just started using MicroSpikes this year. Great early season traction device, but would probably still want crampons if the going got really steep and a slide would be real bad news. Thanks all for the possible link failure mention. The "Leatherman" is going along for the ride from here on in! What kind of mileage / lifespan users are getting from these would be interesting to hear?

I just picked up some of the Trampons at Ragged Mountain and will report on them as soon as things ice over. They were the same price as Microspikes, but since everyone else has those, I decided to give these a try.

Looking forward to this report....I was just looking at these in the Hillsound.com website and came over here to VFTT to see if anyone was reporting anything about these. As far as I can tell (difficult just from pictures), the spikes are longer and possibly sharper than Microspikes, but not as much as full crampons....does that make sense Mark?

Well, but of course!

We have contests to see who can shoot their Microspikes the furthest, most accurately, and in the coldest temperatures (colder hands and slightly less elasticity in the rubber make things a real contest). :)

I think we might even start up a Microspike golf league (like frisbee golf).

Will you allow other brands in this league? Although I know my cheapie "sport" Stabilicers don't come close to the brands in discussion here do you think I could at least get on the Junior Varsity team???

There actually were a couple of posts on VFTT last year about the Hillsounds. They are made in Canada and the company wouldn't mail to the US so it wasn't easy to get them.

I'm excited to hear that they're available at Ragged Mountain. I think I'll swing by and take a look at them.

I'm beginning my second year with my Microspikes. I've really given them rough use, kept them on above the treeline when it was very rocky. Nothing has broken, but the points are wearing down. I think I can get another winter out of them but they will have to be replaced eventually.

As has been mentioned, they are much lighter and take much less space than my Stableicers. They definitely do not replace crampons for steep ice. It can get really dicey in certain conditions when using them, but they do serve for the vast majority of conditions where extra traction is needed.

Those videos cracked me up...very nice!

However...I think the idea is to fling them off of your boot -- in other words, use your boot as the fixed object off of which to shoot the "rubber band."

Now, that might make an even funnier video.

Rules!!! :mad:

One problem I had with my microspikes when they were new was getting a scar in the rubber either from their own points or the crampons they were in with. If it had been stretched much they would have torn through so I ground out the scar into a radius to arrest it and they survived fine.

I don't know if the Hillsounds have the same soft rubber but if they maintain sharper, harder more durable points this would be more likely to happen. I had even thought about packing the microspikes back to back on two thin sheets of plexi to prevent this but they dulled soon and it was not necessary. I also wonder if the Hillsounds may be more likely to "snowball" in sticky snow with the plate design. Guess the threads this winter will let us know. Thanks in advance to any who offer us feedback!;)