microspikes or crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a pair of MicroSpikes that had been damaged, probably with a box cutter with the case was opened at the store or distribution center. I paid less than $15 for them so I know I will get my money's worth, but I'm wondering about using something like "Liquid Nails" to fill in the 1/4 inch gap. It only nicked the surface and so the cut isn't deep. But you know how "paper cuts" can be...:D Any suggestions?

I bought a pair of MicroSpikes that had been damaged, probably with a box cutter with the case was opened at the store or distribution center. I paid less than $15 for them so I know I will get my money's worth, but I'm wondering about using something like "Liquid Nails" to fill in the 1/4 inch gap. It only nicked the surface and so the cut isn't deep. But you know how "paper cuts" can be...:D Any suggestions?
I would try something more like an epoxy glue. But anything may be a lost cause--they will be ground into rock which will likely grind anything off (including the surface coating).

If there is an anti-corrosion coating, the nick may corrode (rust if steel).

Given the grinding in normal use, the scratch may simply not matter. They will get scratched the first time you use them.

Doug

Last edited:
One problem I had with my microspikes when they were new was getting a scar in the rubber either from their own points or the crampons they were in with. If it had been stretched much they would have torn through so I ground out the scar into a radius to arrest it and they survived fine.

I don't know if the Hillsounds have the same soft rubber but if they maintain sharper, harder more durable points this would be more likely to happen. I had even thought about packing the microspikes back to back on two thin sheets of plexi to prevent this but they dulled soon and it was not necessary. I also wonder if the Hillsounds may be more likely to "snowball" in sticky snow with the plate design. Guess the threads this winter will let us know. Thanks in advance to any who offer us feedback!;)

That's interesting on the scars, I'll keep my eyes open to prevent it from happening, thanks.

The rubber rounds on the Trampons appear to be the same construction as the Microspikes. I am also curious about them balling up with snow, but I'll let people know if it happens. I don't know how much they will since the main crampon has a hinge to it, so it should stay relatively clear of snow. At least that's what I'm hoping.

I had seen these a bit ago on an Army Navy site.

Very different price than Ragged Mt. I haven't tried to purchase yet but will when I have my card number handy. The only thing I noticed is that they don't offer sizing. One size fits all, my guess is they have mediums. will call to verify before purchase. I do hope that is the case as this is a great savings.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=armynavy&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=697384059&Count2=614524483&ProductID=8449&Target=products.asp&__utma=1.1375109099.1261150536.1261150536.1261150536.1&__utmb=1&__utmx=-&__utmc=1&__utmz=1.1261150536.1.1.utmccn=(organic)|utmcsr=bing|utmctr=ice+traction+army+navy+stores|utmcmd=organic&__utmv=-&__utmk=175691427[/URL]