abraham(me)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewski

Reaction score
has anyone hiked abraham from barnjum rd. farmer mtn area??? we did some road recon but with fog and poor visibility we couldn't form a plan...any info would be welcome..thanks

drew

I haven't been in there for a few years...
My understanding is that the State of Maine has acquired that land and has, or will be, restricting vehicular access from the south. The roads here were notable for culvert issues, deteriorating bridges and LARGE rocks. Along the Abraham ridge to Middle and East Peaks, a trail was in the process of construction (should be spectacular when completed). Farmer access is easy up the north ridge. If the road is now undrivable or gated, a mountain bike approach should be doable

There is also an old road along Quick Stream which we used to access Farmer and South Abraham. Looking at an old Delorme, it looks like it eventually meets up with the roads on the north side of Farmer,

We hiked it in late August. Messaged Jazzbo about the route after his post in July/Aug. Using just the AMC map (but did look at Google maps), we drove in with a beemer all the way to the first wash-out w/o loosing any pieces. Very easy drive. Here's the route from my notes:

On Rt 142, E Madrid Rd sign is across Rt 142. Also a sign for Manzer Hot Mix plant.

2.9 miles. Black top ends. Ready-for-blacktop quality gravel begins.

4.7 miles. Road ends at a bucolic setting. Take a hard 90 degree L ~ 10 yards after the farmhouse (no go straight). This is on AMC map at E, Madrid. Road is now rougher gravel.

5.3 miles. Turn R onto Barnjum Rd (sign). Chicken farm on R (last house?) The turn, but not the name of road, is on AMC map. Road gets somewhat rougher.

6.3 miles. Curious stone table on L.

I have a hard time matching notes / milage at this point, but follow the main part of road. A branch to R (do not take), and a few pull-ins for camper spots along the road - most being used that day.

9.3 miles(?). Road comes to a very large distinctive clearing and seems to bear L. Go straight. Not on the AMC map.

9.6 miles. First wash-out. Might be able to get past, but we parked in a pull-over spot and walked.

16 minute walk up the gravel road to the AT (1 mile?). No sign, but an obvious 'hole in the woods' with a white blaze not far up the trail.

If you can find Jazzbo's post, he has great pix of the wash-outs.

Have fun!

I have a gps google earth track of the road and the trail we took up Abraham from the South last year. My brother has harder hiking conditions in Afganistan right now though from when we did Abraham.

It is on my crappy undone website
Abraham
You have to click on the picture that mentions the KMZ file to download it.....

That area is freaking cool.....There was one sketchy bridge on the road...that may or may not be different(better or worse)...as you never know...But my brother drove a junky Kia rental car...so it is doable with any vehicle...washouts excluded.

Spongie

Looks like you may have gone in same way we did, but took that last road forking to R. Is that it? Where did you leave the car / find the 'trail'? Seems a very direct route.

ps - when did you do the hike??

Last edited:
Rup,

We hiked it in early July 2008....

Yes, at the right you are talking about, we went about 3 miles on that road...At the 3 miles-ish there is a road on the left. We parked here at around 2670-ish feet.....You actaully get over 2700 feet, but near the 3 mile mark drop down a little bit in elevation. This 3 mile stretch of road had one harder to cross bridge...if you do not travel normally back roads...it could be difficult......(but like I said....it could be gone or improved since then...just like this whole stretch of road....or even gated.)

At the 3 mile-ish area where we parked...We hiked up that road for about .35 of a mile to a clearing....There is a ATV/Snowmobile/some sort of trail? on the left...and we took this. We then hiked up thru a wooded then a logged area with good views...and continued into the woods on a trail......You ridge out and go left on the trail...continue hiking until a rock field.....And skirt that rockfield on a trail, and hike up the right of it....and then you see Abraham about 1/2 a mile away with varying degrees of herd paths....the usual blah blah blah to remind you to be careful of alpine vegetation......It was about a 4.2 mile round trip hike....