Daypack for backpacking trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raftingguy

Reaction score
Just curious as to what everyone uses for a daypack while on a multi-day trip. Do you attach a daypack to the outside of your backpack for use on summit trips or just use a fanny pack.

I can't imagine fitting everything I carry on a day hike into a fanny pack for summit trips, but I hate carrying a daypack along with my frame pack.

I sometimes bring a camelback HAWG. It's perfect for daytripping around a camp. My pack also has a detachable lumbar pack, which is ok, but I prefer the daypack.

I use a Serratus Genie, which weighs 14 oz., rolls up to about the size of a grapefruit and has plenty of room for my dayhike gear. Genie

I use an eastpack "bookbag". It fits easily inside my pack, weighs only 12oz, and fits everything I need for a day. Definately worth carrying the extra 12oz to camp.

When I want to be superlight, and not take a daypack, I turn my 4300 cu in pack into a daypack by removing the stays and the hood. Its amazing how much lighter a pack is without the stays. Added bonus: water bottles are more accessable. Now if I could just sew some pouches to the outside of the eastpack...

-percious

I use a Platypus typhoon hydration pack. It weighs about 20 ounces and comes with a 100 oz hydration bladder (6 ounces) which I also use on approach. I now put it in my sleeping bag compartment (without the bladder) with my sleeping bag and Thermarest Prolite 4 pad.

I second Percious' eastpack bookbag, except mine has two outer slots just large enough to hold a 1 qt. water bottle. It does double duty as the container I use when things need to be hung out of reach of critters, though lately I've been thinking of getting a bear proof cannister which would eliminate the need to hang things.

With my Dana Alpine, the top lid comes off, as does the hip belt, to make a bomber fanny pack. It takes me less than a minute to convert them now. I hang a pair of nalgenes on the sides and have room for the bulk of my must have stuff. It has lash points and I have straps always in them so I can add a fleece or other extras in seconds. For doing a multipeak ridge hike or longer day trek (or for bringing dinner goodies, wine, and a stove up to a peak for a sunset dinner) my pack compresses from 5000" down to 2500" and rides very smooth. On my last backpacking traverse I cinched down for 2 peaks, fanny packed up 5, and lugged the whole kit and kaboodle up 2 ... Marcy! and Colvin from the Carry Trail!!!

With all the crap I carry on a BP, its nice to have at least some double duty components in there... I guess I do use my collapsible Lexan wine glass for oatmeal sometimes... ;)

My Kelty's fanny pack holds a single liter nalgene, filter, food, and emergency supplies. Also attach a cooler pack to hold another nalgene, this allows me longer times before refills. I don't think this would work for everyone, but I don't drink a lot of fluids while hiking for whatever reason so I get away with 10 miles of strenuous climbing on 2 liters before worrying about a refill.

I have a Gregory Reality that has a small shoulder pack that you can use that you can disconnect from the main body. I've used it when I was doing daytrips in the middle of a multiday backpack. My Reality is a 4000ci backpack. Wont be as big as a camelback-type device but it's enough to carry snacks, raingear, and lunch.

I also use bike jerseys when I backpack so without the backpack, I also have large rear pockets to put water bottles and food.

Jay

My Kelty external frame has a detachable mesh daypack which fits all I need...

I either use my backpack (ULA P-2) which weighs 2.5 lbs and shrinks down well - or if it's a multi-day trip I'll usually take my Platypus Roadrunner (bought on sale for $20) hydration pack along too (that maybe weighs 1 lb.) because i won't want to unpack my full pack. I just stuff the hydration pack in the mesh pocket on back of larger pack. (The hydration pack is also useful for hauling water from source.) Keep in mind - I didn't plan it this way - but the longer skinnier hydration packs like mine fit very well into the mesh pockets now found on back of most backpacks. I tried a fanny pack but it was too small and weighed as much as my hydration pack.

pack recommendation

there's all kinds of options out there but since you already have enough weight to carry you'd want a real lite pack so you don't have to add any more weight than necessary.
i might suggest any one of these golite packs:
breeze: 2400 cu / 18-20 oz / reg $70 on sale for $42
dawn: 2200 cu / 14 oz / reg $80 on sale for $39
speed: 3500+ cu / 1.10 #/ reg $140 on sale for $70
gust: 3600 cu / 19-20oz / reg $100 on sale for $60

the last 2 are larger than needed for a day pack but i added them anyway.
those are some great prices and the packs are super lite. the info is from: northern mountain supply on the web under packs / killer deals.
http://www.northernmountain.com/NMSMain.asp?Option=Welcome
bj

i use the patagonia scram pack as my summit/light duty pack. checking the patagonia website though, they don't seem to carry them anymore, and i can't remember the dimensions though 750"^3 sticks in my mind.

i bought this pack because it offered more options to me than a camelbak pack, seemed to be made of more robust materials and has a very slim profile. its good for mtn biking, hiking, backcountry snowboarding (it can be used to carry the board horizontally through the shoulder straps) and is easily stored in a larger pack. it fits any 100oz h20 bladder plus a medical kit and some food, and has some lashing points for a shell or helmet, etc.

it would probably require some internet or local store searching to find this pack, but i recommend it as a good all around light duty workhorse.

one downside is price...i believe i paid somewhere near $70 for this pack, but it was comparable in price to the camelbaks in the same size range and it is well padded, well made, and has a very slim profile. you will not notice it on you unless you really overpack it.

fyi...the scram pack is very similar to the daylite pack sp1936 posted

Like SP1936 I use the Osprey Aether 60 for Day hikes and backpacks (have to keep the weight to 30lbs and under for backpacking trips). It cinches up to make a good day pack.

Another one to consider. Recently looked at Platypus hydration pack called the "Thunderhead." At 16 oz. tot. wt. and 550 cu. in. it's slotted between my PP Roadrunner (13.5 oz/285 cu. in.) and the larger more backpack-like PP Typhoon (26 oz./1785 cu. in.). It comes with a 100 oz. reservoir (mine is 70 oz.) and twice the storage as mine but only weighs 2.5 oz. more. It seems to cure the only beef I've had with mine - limited storage space. Also seems to have a fairly slim profile....