Trip Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild

Reaction score
I'm planning an Adirondack trip for sometime in October, and I'm looking for suggestions as to where I should go. I want something lonely and remote, so I want to avoid the High Peaks. I have two other trips planned for the Five Ponds Wilderness this year, so I would like to avoid that also in order to vary things a little. Any suggestions? The guys I'm going with aren't into bushwhacking, so someplace with trails is preferable. Otherwise, I'm open to anything.

There are so many wilderness areas, wild forests, etc, that picking one is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks in advance.

Wild

Route 30 north of speculator you could camp in the west canada lakes wilderness area. from there you can climb pilsbury mtn. for a biiger climb you can drive a few miles north and climb snowy. you could camp by cedar river flow off of moose river road and climb wakely mtn. both places very remote.

Just today, I went on a daytrip to Sister Lakes in the Pigeon Lake Wilderness. It's remote and absolutely beautiful. The lean-to on Lower Sister Lake is used so little that there are only 5 entries in it for this year and the book has logs dating back to the 1990's and yet, is only 1/4 (if that much) full ! The lean-to is well situated and there is a canoe nearby w/4 paddles inside the lean-to. (common use)

I took my hornbeck canoe all the way in from the launch off of Higby Road. It was over 1 hour to the trailhead sign located where Andy's Creek runs in. From there it was less than 1 hour carry to Lower Sister; even though the sign says 4.5 miles to the lean-to. It's a good trail and is level for more than half the way.

If you go, make SURE that you take the canoe out and go to Upper Sister Lake. Them mountains & surroundings are spectacular (esp. in Autumn).

You could rent a boat to take you at Dunns locared near the Big Moose Inn.

Have Fun! :)

I can't think of anything more lonely and remote than Allen. If 18.8 miles is too far you could always climb Adams ( on the way to Allen, only much shorter and just as remote)

Couchsachraga and Emmons are also very lonely and remote, but chances are you will run into others along the way.

KZ

I second West Canada Lakes area. You don't mention how long a trip you're looking for, but parts of the Northville-Placid Trail might fill the bill, particularly beween Piseco and Spruce Lake, or on up to Wakely Dam if you have time. Or in reverse direction.