Piper/Belknap/Round Pond 10/25/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
02aroundpond102509.jpg

View Northeast from Belknap Firetower

Piper 2044' /Belknap 2382'/Round Pond 10/25/09

Piper Mountain Trail/Belknap Mountain Trail/Boulder Trail/Piper Mountain Link Trail

8?Miles 1200'?Elevation gain

Kevin, Judy and Emma

Saturday it rained. Sunday we slept late and had to get home early. It was off to the Belknaps again. I had wanted to explore Round Pond since spotting it from the firetower on previous trips. From the firetower's vantage several ponds can be seen to the south, but there is one that is different from the rest. It is obvious it sits higher than the others, nestled between a couple of bumps known as Mount Klem and Mount Mack on the ridge known as the Belknap Range as it stretches way southeast from the highest bump known as Belknap Mountain.

14aroundpond102509.jpg

View to Belknap from Piper
After a swift climb to Piper and then on to Belknap, we turned south and followed the East Gilford Trail to its junction with the Boulder Trail and began the descent of the south face of Belknap. The ledges were slippery from the previous day's rain and the going was a little more treacherous than I had expected to find. The descent steepened and soon we were picking our way through boulders in an impressive talus field. Sections of this field can be spotted from the ledges on Piper Mountain belying its presence, but from that vantage I found it was hard to appreciate the size and volume of medium size boulders until actually scrambling across them.

07aroundpond102509.jpg

Boulder Field

At the bottom of the boulder field the the trail again enters the woods and easily descends, then rises again as it winds its way to Round Pond. Eventually a red blazed trail intersects and by following this south a couple of hundred yards we gently sloped down to the edge of this beautiful little pond. It was actually larger than I expected, 20-25 acres if I had to guess. We had lunch there and soaked up what little warmth the sun offered.

11aroundpond102509.jpg

Round Pond

I thought, "Bright sun in a cloudless sky, perfect fall conditions, but lousy for photography with its harsh light and boring blue skies. I would like to return again with better light." Then I thought, "What, are you nuts? Take what you're given. Not too many more of these gems left in this year."

09aroundpond102509.jpg

False Puffball Scleroderma aurantium

The trails were very wet. Standing water where it was flat and running water where it was sloped. The ledges were wet and slippery. Leaves were everywhere making the entire trail slippery, even where they had managed to dry off. We came across many streams cascading where in dry stretches I'm sure there are usually none. The climb back up to the height of land on the Piper Mountain Link Trail was particularly wet and soggy. My guess is at this writing the trails had completely dried out only to be flooded again by today's rain.

Gallery here:

KDT

Great Pics

No matter what you say,I think the pictures were great. No need to be humble. Very enjoyable please keep them coming.

A very enjoyable trip report and photos... really nice to see details of this fine area that I am completely unfamiliar with. Someday I'll have to spend a little more time in the "southern" end of the state. :)

Kevin, nice report and your photography is wonderful, as always.
And as I know you know, sometimes the best shots are not of sweeping vistas of distant mountains. Sometimes the best shots are of those objects that are close at hand, such as your photo of the False Puffball which I thought was exquisite!

Thanks!

The positive feedback is always appreciated! this area is special and well worth exploring. We've spent a lot of time at the north and south ends of this range and are now just branching out to discover the middle and are quite pleased with what we are finding.

Trailwrightbrattt: I think we may have met on East Osceola 2/25/06? Thanks for the kind comments!

KDT

Kevin,

A very enjoyable report and pictures. You even managed to find some late- season color. Very nice!

Some day I would like to be able to work with the available photographic conditions as well as you can. Nice job.

Great pics!

Hi Kevin -- great pics! Love the puffball. Beautiful.

Wowser (Nancy)