Mt. Isolation via Rocky Branch, bushwhack, Isolation Trail and Davis Path.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpygran

Reaction score
November 1st 2009

Hoping for a perfect day to tackle the last peak of my 9th round of the 48, we got just that on Sunday. Silverfox, Unadogger (and Terra) and I met in the Rocky Branch Parking lot and started out early up the leaf covered Rocky Branch trail, shuffling our way up till we reached the wet and muddy areas higher up. Shortly after the height of land we took a preplanned turn off the trail to bushwhack over to the Isolation trail, having concerns about high water crossings. The idea was to stay at the 3,100 ft contour which we followed faithfully, going through some wet mossy areas, sometimes on a clear path and other times pushing through the trees. Ahead our compass reader kept us on course and despite some ankle deep moss holes 40 mins later we emerged on the Isolation Trail. Continued up a rocky and wet trail, took the herd path to avoid two crossings and had no trouble with the last one soon reaching the campsite. From there to the Davis path the trail had many blowdowns, most easily skirted. Up and down the Davis path till we reached the short hike up to the peak. Greeted by a young couple who had passed us early on, and on to the cairn where we were able to enjoy views in all directions with some clouds passing by. Rime ice and low cloud covered the top of Mt. Washington with the cloud cover down to Eisenhower. Temps of 37 degrees with 18mph winds, according to techie Silverfox, had us hudding down in a hollow for lunch. We celebrated the momentous event (for me) by eating chocolates from "Mary, Chocolatier", from Brussels, Belgium, a gift from my brother for my 70th birthday!
The chocolate boost sent us off in good spirits for the descent and soon we were at a spot where there was an obvious path for the bushwhack back. We followed this path uphill to the 3200 contour line and found ourselves in the middle of a huge stand of silverbirch. We followed this path through several stands of these impressive trees, contrasting so well with the clear blue sky above, admiring their elegance, stopping many times to take photos. Several open areas gave us clear views over to Stairs, Carrigain and, in the background, Chocorua. This path was obviously the Engine Hill bushwhack that we had planned to take both ways. We continued on for some time eventually dropping down through some rougher areas till we hit the Rocky Branch Trail just about the height of land.
This was my first ever bushwhack! I had some doubts on the way in but coming back on this higher route was just a delight with sights to be remembered for a long time. From there we just skipped over the muddy areas, over the wet rocks to reach the drier leaf strewn part of the trail Several slippy slides on my part on the covered trail but we all made it safely back to the parking lot. More chocolates and congrats all round ended a great day. Thanks to Silverfox and Unadogger for making Nov. 1st a memorable day fo me!
Now I go into hibernation until the snow falls when snowshoeing, xc and downhill skiing will substitute for exercise until Spring.

Grumpygran.
PS: Hope Silverfox and Unadogger will post links to their photo sites!

Cheers to you hiking buddy!

This was my first ever bushwhack! I had some doubts on the way in but coming back on this higher route was just a delight with sights to be remembered for a long time.

Wow Mary it is hard to believe that after hiking 10,000 plus miles over the years that this was your first bushwack! Cheers to you hiking buddy! I am sure you have a giant store of delightful hking memories. Very happy to be a part of a few of them.

Karen

GrumpyGran, Happy Birthday and congratulations on your ninth round! I knew of the planned hike between Sabrina and Mark, but not of your adventure. At 1am I was truly contemplating crashing the hike on two hours sleep and three hours driving but gave in to sleeping in. After seeing your report now I wish I had pushed on.

I have been through the birches twice in winter and felt like pulling out a tent and just staying there awhile. Its so beautiful it could be a destination all its own and save the summits for another day! Thanks for sharing your adventure!;)

9 X 48..way to go Mary!!

Great report Mary and very pleased to be part of the event..thanks for waiting until November :p

Folks, this is the true Energizer Bunny here..rather strong willed and determined, seldom gets tired despite the length of the hike..( It took me 4 years of hiking with Mary to have her say.."Mark, you want to slow it down a little on the uphills please" Coincidentally, It was on a Glen Boulder to isolation down the Davis Path to 302 trip a couple of years ago..

She never snacks, typically drinks a half litre of water on a 9.5 hour Bonds traverse and has had the same lunch sandwich, ham and cucumbers on pita bread..on 90% of our hikes..Trust me..I could not make this up!!!

Anyone who has had the pleasure of hiking with Mary over the years truely understand the Grumpygran trailname as she has kept us in sticthes with the children and grandchildren stories...hilarious..one of the grandkids, who is starting to come around has been labeled "awful awful ####" too funny

Mary , a retired PT, had been on my case about knee woes the last couple of years and it was her constant reminders..well some might call it nagging..about potential back issues and other bad things that led me to my VERY successful knee replacement this past february..thanks for that

And thanks for a lot of great hikes..See you on the trail for round 10 next year..well..unless that knitting gets a bit to comfortable..:D

Congrats

a few pics at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/72157622597261227/

Last edited:
Grumpygran,

You are an inspiration and a model to follow. Nine times the 48 - that is really incredible. Good for you and keep on hiking your hike.

Betsy

Some pics
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=38080&id=1049077637&l=a9d0db3c72

My favorite, hijacked from Silverfox:
4065609591_9519a71159.jpg

Mary is truly an inspiration and one in the truest sense of the word; honest, steadfast and humble -- she's a wonderful friend to hike with, and it takes me by surprise on hikes when I recall her age and am dumbstruck once again....I can only hope in my best of dreams to be following in her footsteps, walking the mountains each and every year during the fairer seasons long into my life!

As for the bushwack -- I looked at Mary at the Jct of the Davis Path/Isolation Spur and said, "Well, I for one don't want to go back that way, my feet are already wet, who cares about the crossings??"...Mary seemed to agree, but being the good friends that we are, we indulged Silverfox on another go at it...and I am so glad we did. What a beautiful glade and it was so nice to be the three (well, really four) of us out on a sunny brisk sunday enjoying something so wonderful for the first time together. Its a day full of memories that I will cherish forever!

Congrats, Mary! Thanks for having me along on your special day! I will miss you this winter. :eek:

Last edited:
Congratulations! I'm glad your 9th finish turned out to be such an enjoyable hike. :)

We celebrated the momentous event (for me) by eating chocolates from "Mary, Chocolatier", from Brussels, Belgium . . .
Congratulations Mary! Hiking the "last peak of my 9th round of the 48" now that is very SPECIAL!
But of course chocolate from Belgium, that is quite special also. Sounds like you had a SPECIAL-SPECIAL day!!:D

Last edited:
Congratulation Mary. :)
I will try to follow your foot steps on Isolation soon.
But not for the 9x48. I will start by finishing my first round.