Hey Skiers! Most bang for the buck - Backcountry Gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaf

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these?
Backcountry Alpine Trekkers

This is my idea.

1) go out and buy these: K2 Shuks Anne Skis because they look awesome and are on sale. And because I like K2s.

2) buy the Trekker bindings

3) strap in my mountaineering boots :eek:

i'm not going to jump cliffs, go super fast, or drop into a 50 degree slope. looking for a cheap thrill and to get me the away from those snowshoes I hate wearing. thinking it would be sweet to use these for the long approaches in the Adirondacks.. depending how light they are and how much of a pain in the butt it would be to haul around on my back.

basically, i want to spend as little money as possible and get the most versatility out of the gear. i imagine using mountaineering boots to try to ski down a gully might be asking a little too much (?) but i don't want to buy cross-country gear just for approaches. i'd love to get into the skin-up, clip in, ski down with no lift-serv in sight. :cool:

I'm not a skier, nor do I play one on TV, but I hope to correct this deficiency this winter. ;)

That said, this looks like an interesting setup, with a couple caveats:

1) If I'm reading the description/reviews correctly, the Trekker Adapter clips into your existing alpine bindings (hence the "Adapter" in the name). I don't think they mount directly to the skis themselves.

2) If troo, the adapters will get you pretty high up off the ski, which prolly won't do wonders for your balance, but, if you're a strong skier, may not be too much of a problem.

3) They appear to be drastically cheaper than Silvretta 500's or the other AT binding (Marker, maybe?) that work with mountaineering boots.

Interesting product, though. If you end up getting them, make sure to report back and let us all know how they work.

FWIW, I'm trying to put together a cheap-ass touring setup for my mountaineering bootz with a pair of old Silvretta 404's I scored on evilBay. Don't have the planks yet, but will be hitting the ski swaps/want ads soon. Search here for "Silvretta" and you'll pull up a couple older threads about ATing with climbing bootz. I know Chip has done this with Atomics/Koflach and has been reasonably pleased, I think, right Chip?

Yes, Alpine Trekkers require an existing alpine binding. Since you don't have that, there will be no cost savings by going this route. Besides, Alpine Trekkers have an annoying property in that they suck. They're heavy, awkward, and unreliable. Do you have existing alpine gear?

I would advise looking for a used setup. Some shops have consignment gear, and you can check on the Tele Turnaround (they have tele and randonee gear) on TelemarkTips.com.

If you buy new you get better deals on the skis you listed (http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/K2S0577/K2-Shuks-Anne-Alpine-Touring-Ski-Womens.html) but I'm not sure they're the best ski for you anyways. If you're not planning on climbing for turns you might not want as turny a ski, it'll make touring more difficult as the ski will tend to wander. The Miss Baker might be a better ski if you want like K2s.

aahha. thanks guys.

yeah, cool, j.dub - ATing/climbing boots would be cool if i can get that to work.

i'll check out those sites. thanks metsky.

dave - i do have existing alpine gear. i have downhill lift service skis. heavy skis, heavy boots.

Good thread here. Search here for "randonee" "silvretta" "cheap ass, do everything set-up" ;). As is mentioned there I have old Silvretta 404's (freaking solid binding, and DIRT CHEAP on ebay) and Atomic Chugach skis (can be found cheap, are waxless and have great dimensions for this) that I use with my Degres. This set-up works perfectly...for what it is. This is an example of where if the set-up can "do everything" okay it doesn't do anything really well. I have hiked up winter trails and skied down alpine resorts. The alpine skiing is okay on well groomed beginner and intermediate trails. DO NOT try this set-up on icey or expert trails. Your mountaineering boots won't have enough "ankle" to hold the edge you'd need. On Rainier we passed a guy hiking up with my exact set-up and I spoke to him a while. I could imagine skiing down from Muir to Paradise with this gear. NO WAY would I try it above Muir. Long, rolling glacier approaches and exits with a light pack would be ideal.

So on groomed trails you'll be slower than touring skis. In the powder the telemarkers will blow you away and at the resort you'll be relegated to beginner and intermediate trails...but you CAN do it all and spend less than $200 on the skis and bindings.

I'd just get some kid skis used at some swap cheap. Doesn't have to be too long or else it will be just too much to control with a climbing boot. Then I'd search for some Silvretta 404s or 500s used and get some skins (you could even cut one full length skin for each, maybe) to use with those.

Some time back I was looking for a setup to replace snowshoes, was light enough to climb with, and I could use to skin up and ski down - thinking skin up Tux, climb in Huntington, ski down (at least the Sherbie).

The coolest commercially available thing are probably the Kong Grimpers.
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Approach-Skis

nice cbcbd! yeah, that's got adirondack approach solution written all over it.

Dayum!

Now THAT's some service! ;)
that's why i posted here.. dave usually has something up his sleeve. :D

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Last April a buddy an I were heading up to Tucks when the weather royally sucked. That said, we poked around the shops near Loon and Waterville off 93 and I scored!

Got the full set-up:

BD Havoc http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/skis/havoc

BD Factor http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/boots/factor

Fritschi Diamir http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/bindings/fritschi-diamir-freeride-plus-w-xl-brake

BD Acension Skins http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/skins/ascension-nylon-custom-sts

I was fortunate enough to get a SCARRY good deal on the gear. The end of season sales are a wonderful thing! Lets say about 40% retail made the wet weekend we should have been up at Tucks well worth it.

Unfortunately, I was only able to test out the new rig once last season. That said I am looking forward to breaking in the rig this season, as my days of student passes at Killington are no longer (nor does the fiancee want me in a share house...). Time to earn my turns!

That said, are there any resources aimed at back-country in the Whites? Locations, people, etc etc. I get wanting to keep good lines under wraps, but it cant hurt to ask!

The fritschi bindings CANNOT be used (safely) with mountain boots either plastic or leather. All the FRitschis are for ski boots, AT boots or alpine boots.

The fritschi bindings CANNOT be used (safely) with mountain boots either plastic or leather. All the Fritschis are for ski boots, AT boots or alpine boots.
You're right SN, this practice is not something condoned by Fritschi. I am guessing probably since the boots won't release at the toe as easily as a ski boot. I have not tried setting the DIN at the lowest and seeing how it releases laterally with my La Sportivas.
In any case, they can be setup (the toe height can be adjusted) to fit a mountaineering boot with heel and toe bails - which I wish I would've known about before spending money on another setup mounted with Silvrettas.

Disclaimer: If anyone chooses to do this, don't, you will wreck your knee or some other body part... lots of injuries and probably death. Don't make me say "I told you so".

Last edited: