Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Know What This Object Might Be?

Anyone Know What This Object Might Be?

Does anyone know what the object is in the photos below? While bushwhacking yesterday, I came across this object in the woods on the south side of the Sawyer River, not too far from Route 302.

Whatever it is, it looks like it's been there for awhile. However, in the grand scheme of things, it might be something that isn't very old.
    It might simply be a modern-day object that fell off a truck, and then perhaps dragged off the road into the woods.

Looks like a top to a still that blew off? How big around and tall is it?

Any other clues nearby?
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

Looks like a roof-top ventilator
    "It's a beautiful day!" - The final words of fellow hiker Shin Murnane (5785W), near Marcy Dam 3/28/09.
    46er #5357W
    Check out ALGonquin Bob's Paddle Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
    Looks like a top to a still that blew off? How big around and tall is it?
    Any other clues nearby?
    There were no other clues nearby that I saw.

In terms of its dimensions, I really should've taken time to get some rough approximations using my trekking pole as a measuring device. But I didn't. My best guess is that the circumference might possibly be as much as 8 feet. In terms of height, I'd guess maybe a little over 3 feet.

It appears to be the base of a steam donkey smoke stack - a portable winch used in logging:

Looks good to me. I wonder why there are no other pieces nearby and it isn't partiually covered by woods debris?
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

HappyHiker,

Do you know about the old logging town of Livermore? I would have to assume your possibly identified object has something to do with it.

Try going to waymarking.com, then Ghost Towns --- Livermore

A colleague at Tin Mountain, Carol Foord, does wonderful field trips out that way on the history of the place for kids and adults.
    Chris

In this crowded world, our sense of coexistence with wilderness life can be enforced by heights that are hard to climb. --- John Hay

Sure looks like a sneezal valve to me ...

Evilhanz, thank you! Judging from the photos you posted, the contraption that I found in the woods does indeed seem to be an old steam donkey smokestack.

Little Rickie, perhaps there are no other pieces laying around because maybe you were not too far off in your initial response of:
    "Looks like a top to a still that blew off." Possibly the old steam donkey merely "blew its stack" from a pressure build-up. So then maybe the blown stack was discarded and the operator transported the steam donkey to the nearest steam-donkey repair shop to be fitted out with a new stack. Don't know if it happened that way, but it makes a good story.

Gaiagirl, yup I'm familiar with Livermore. I've walked around the ruins on several occasions. And I agree that there is a good possibility that the piece I found in the woods was likely related to that abandoned lumber mill town.
    Last edited by 1HappyHiker; 11-03-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
    Part of a logging railroad steam engine smokestack? Here's a picture of one (C. W. Saunders) crossing the Sawyer River:

http://photos.whitemountainhistory.o...&photo=7349363

It's part of a series of Livermore photos.

Waumbek, thank you for posting the link to the C. W. Saunders crossing the Sawyer River.

Hmmm! The object I photographed in the woods has characteristics that resemble both the logging railroad steam engine smokestack that you posted, as well as the steam-donkey smokestack that Evilhanz posted.

Would it be fair to generalize and say that it's likely a part from a steam-powered machine of some sort that was used in the logging industry, probably during the late 1800's to early 1900's?

Looks like one of those new fangled ce-ment mixers. Or something that Granny used to cook up the recipe.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachusett Greenway
    FONT][/SIZE]
    Rick

Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
    I think Waumbek has shown it best. If you look closer at the skeletal metal frame on the one you found it looks like the structure that would have been used to support the dome on the top of the stack on the engine in Waumbek's link. Its slightly bent up but would have been there for a reason such as that. Nice piece of history and trivia.
    The heart of the journey is in the path not the peak!

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide

What diameter is it?

Thanks for sharing John! I have RR book about Saco River RR and it has many similar photos as Waumbek's. Judging from people in photos smokestack on CW Saunders appear to 48" diameter. Skinny part appears to 12" or less. If it is indeed stack from CW Saunders then the artifact might be of interest to the Bartlett Historical Society.

Here's a link to it. Just checked. Yikes they have re-modeled websight extensively. Full of 100'as of pictures just like Grandma's attic! Last year when I visited web site there was a button for questions and I got an answer from someone there. No time to see if they still have this button.

http://www.bartletthistory.org/bartl...tory/index.htm
    Last edited by Jazzbo; 11-04-2009 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Add more comments
    On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "i think I've lost an electron"
    I said "are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."