Buying ball of boiled wool?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've worn out a few pairs of Dachstein mitts over the years. Like others said, the Mountaineer carried them for awhile and so did Campmor. The last time I tried some on, they were still too long and too narrow and the boiled wool doesn't stretch much at all which makes them difficult to get on and off. I now prefer these.

This sounds like what I'll probably do...checking every couple of minutes. lol. Does anyone recall how long you have to put it in the washer approximately?
As far as washing machine and/or drier goes: top loading washers are better because they cause more FRICTION than front loaders. Using the dryer will work too with your WET mittens.

I'll ask my mother in law to buy pure wool and knit them 1.5x larger than needed. Then I'll use brianW's trick of checking every couple of minutes while washing them in the washing machine (is a frontal washing machine ok?). I do have a question for you though (maybe this is real simple, I didn't check with my mother in law): Would it be hard to make a shape (half-closed fist shape) to the mitts? Like the ortovox arctic mitts...
It won't be difficult to make your mittens into a half-closed fist shape. They will shape themselves into that shape after you use them for a while. Or you can get them wet and soapy (after you've shrunk them to almost the size you want) and knead them into the shape you want.
Good luck! Post a picture of your results!

A quick question for Nancy; I have an old wool sweater that my mother kitted for me about 20+ years ago. I rarely wear it because it weighs about ten pounds. After reading about a dozen articles on felting, they seem to suggest that I cut off the arms and separate the front from the back of the sweater prior to placing it in the washing machine. They also suggest that I place the parts in a pillow case to reduce any fibers from clogging my washing machine. Can you think of any other suggestions before playing Mr. Science this weekend?

Last edited:
I'm not Nancy, but...

The sleeves would probably make pretty good mittens, since they already have a finished cuff about the size of your wrist. That is, if it doesn't shrink so much that your hand won't fit in. You would just need to sew up the other end and attach a thumb

I've worn out a few pairs of Dachstein mitts over the years. Like others said, the Mountaineer carried them for awhile and so did Campmor. The last time I tried some on, they were still too long and too narrow and the boiled wool doesn't stretch much at all which makes them difficult to get on and off. I now prefer these.

Great mitts, at a great price. FYI When my hands get wet (sweat) and I pull them out of the mitt the liner comes out with it and turns the mitt inside out. Nice and warm even when wet.

Sorry to say my wife does not remember where she got the instructions. The site I mentioned is the one she goes to most.

She did mention that if she heard of washing an old wool sweater (or go to a casignment store) in hot water and dry it. After that you have felt and you basically cut a pattern for what ever you need. Great way to re-cycle a sweater.

I wonder if you could do this in a front loader washer. We have those in my apartment building and once you start it, you can't shut it off and open the door until it's all the way done. Maybe you can with a home version, but I would check first before doing any experimenting.

I wonder if you could do this in a front loader washer. We have those in my apartment building and once you start it, you can't shut it off and open the door until it's all the way done. Maybe you can with a home version, but I would check first before doing any experimenting.

Ohhh, good point!! I'll be sure to check that beforehand.

Cheers,

fish

Pre-schrunk pics are up!

Just spoke with the mom-in-law and she finished the mitts (2 pairs). She'll put them through the washer/drier later this week:

Mitaines%20David%20003.jpg

Mitaines%20David%20007.jpg

Fish

Just spoke with the mom-in-law and she finished the mitts (2 pairs). She'll put them through the washer/drier later this week:

If I didn't already have the world's best mother-in-law, I might be looking to make a trade. Those are some handsome, warm mitts-to-be! Reminds me of the sort of thing my grandmother did on a regular basis.

Well, the mitts are in!

They are awesome. A bit on the tight side though, but they seem to stretch a bit. I've been asking a guy at work to wear them every couple of hours for a couple of minutes, since he has bigger hands and they are slowly stretching.

My M-I-L used a type of wool specifically made for felting (is that the word for shrinking the wool to size?), but the wool doesn't look all nicely knitted...but rather like steel-wool (co-workers are jokingly saying my mitts are made of pubic hair hehe).

We're wondering if using 100% natural wool would still cause the wool behave like this?

Cheers,

Fish

It's normal to lose the distinct knitted look. The yarns all felt together (yes, it is called felting) and it obscures the knit pattern. I'm pretty sure That means you did it right.

It's normal to lose the distinct knitted look. The yarns all felt together (yes, it is called felting) and it obscures the knit pattern. I'm pretty sure That means you did it right.

Yup. I just remember seeing the Orthovox mitts and you could clearly see the knitting...

Oh well, going to try them out for real today...big storm coming in!

Cheers,

Fish