Chocorua, 11/4 up Weetamoo, down Carter Ledge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Weds 11/4

Full route: Ascent - Piper Trail to Weetamoo to Hammond, to Liberty, to the summit. Descent - Middle Sister Trail to Carter Ledge, to Nickerson Ledge, to Piper Trail.

Trail Conditions: a bit of ice here and there. Still some muddy spots too. Trail blazes are faded and very difficult to locate in spots. Descending Carter Ledge Trail, you'll come to a slide - do not descend the slide. The trail is hard to find, but it's to the left of the slide. Blazing here is almost completely faded away, and fallen leaves further obscure the trail. I ascended Carter Ledge last year, and found it generally easier to follow on ascent than on descent.

Special Equipment Required: poles always helpful. Gaiters (it's best to have two, Andrew). =) We carried Stabilicers but did not use them.

Comments: Carter Ledge Trail, blazing issues aside, is a beautiful trail. Very nice views into the bowl on the SE side of the mountain. In my opinion, this trail blows the much more popular Champney route out of the water for views and solitude. Just watch carefully for blazes, and be prepared to stop and calmly reconnoiter if you lose the trail.

It was not my plan to hike this mountain twice in four days... just worked out that way. This was a last minute "wilderness day" with fellow employees... getting paid to hike... it's a dirty job but somebody has to do it. =) Apres hike refreshments at Bray's brewpub in Naples ME.

Thanks to Paul F., Andrew W, and Derek W for an outstanding day.

Photos. Truth in advertising: includes some shots from the drive up, and from the old cemetary in Fryeburg ME.

Last edited: