New fangled footware, really wierd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen somebody wearing them when in the Catskills... They do look funky but the guy seemed to really like them...

Jay

Interesting idea and I find it appealing but do we really have that much space between our toes for the fabric? I would think that for extended athletic use they would actually rub more because the space between the toes is smaller or the fabric keeps the toe bones spread apart more than normal which could cause allignment or bone stress problems?

Is there a Dr. in the house?

Never mind. For 125 clams! I'll wear sandals.

Last edited:
I hear good things about them too. A friend of mine runs in them and loves 'em. They're no stranger looking than Crocks. (Okay, maybe a little stranger looking...)

Vff!

I bought a pair around the beginning of this summer and they have been a great addition to my running program. The idea behind them (and other shoes like the nike free) is that some foot and leg muscles are not used when you run in normal running sneakers, the Vibram five fingers force your foot to use those muscles. The end result is a stronger, more stable foot and leg.

I guess they'd be okay for you normal people but what about us with the 2nd toe longer than the big toe? Do we need to trim the material on that toe? Or maybe trim the toe its self??? :eek:

Interesting idea and I find it appealing but do we really have that much space between our toes for the fabric? I would think that for extended athletic use they would actually rub more because the space between the toes is smaller or the fabric keeps the toe bones spread apart more than normal which could cause allignment or bone stress problems?

Is there a Dr. in the house?

Never mind. For 125 clams! I'll wear sandals.

We generally don't have that much space between our toes but we're supposed to. If you ever look at the feet of someone who hardly ever wears shoes, their toes are nicely spread out with plenty of space between them. Wearing shoes constantly (especially as we're growing) forces our toes together.

We generally don't have that much space between our toes but we're supposed to. If you ever look at the feet of someone who hardly ever wears shoes, their toes are nicely spread out with plenty of space between them. Wearing shoes constantly (especially as we're growing) forces our toes together.

Are you a foot DR.?

I walk bare foot around the house all the time. I think it's good for the dogs.

Oh my goodness, I want these immediately. When I work out on the elliptical my poor little toes tend to get squashed together no matter what. When I buy cross-trainers I always have to be careful to find something with a fairly wide footbed and no matter what I buy, they're never perfect. I think these might just be my perfect indoor workout shoe. I'm in love! :p

Me, too, Gaiagirl. They look wicked strange and that's what appeals to me most. I imagine how they could be comfortable (with socks???) but wonder how hard it is to get all the little piggies into their own little sleeves?

I have the socks, and I LOVE them. No blisters, no sweat between the toes.
I'm going to get a pair of these funky things and try them out at the gym. I may even try climbing at the rock gym with them!!

This guy runs trail ultras in them:
http://barefootted.com/labels/fivefingers.html
(in this case he's "Almost Barefoot Ted") :rolleyes:

I considered buying a pair of Five Fingers, as casual shoes, not to run in, but they just felt too weird in the store. I do have some Injinji socks which took a little bit of getting used to:
http://www.injinjistore.com/
People who are very blister prone in the toes seem to love them.

I've been looking at these for over a year now (they're on my gear wish list), I love the idea of them. I 've seen several people hiking in them and they all seem to love them. Supposedly it takes a while for your muscles to build up and for you to get used to them. Obviously they aren't great for descending on rocky terrain.

This will undoubtably lead to an increase of Bigfoot footprint finds.

These were popularized by the book, "Born to Run," which is an excellent read. I have a pair and even took them to Peru with me as camp shoes for my Inca Trail trek. I like them, but they quickly began to stink like you wouldn't believe.