The Best Views Of Washington Are From Pierce

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
I know it's a subjective opinion, but every time I head up the Crawford Path, especially in winter conditions, I get the feeling the the greatest views of Mt. Washington come from that trail.

As of Saturday, we were still in two season hiking conditions, with fall at the trailhead and winter coming on as you near the top.
004-5.jpg

As you come up the Crawford Path just before reaching the treeline, you get your first spectacular views of Mt. Washington.
005.jpg

There she stands in all her glory.
006-1.jpg

From the top of Mt. Pierce the views really open up.
011.jpg

Every time I stand there and look out toward Eisenhower and Washington I feel that overwhelming desire to head on over there.
012.jpg

So that's what we did, we headed over there. As we were hiking I was telling Lauky about Atticus getting into the movie business. The conversation really inspired him so here he is doing is best Atticus imitation from near the top of Eisenhower.
018-1.jpg

Here's a final view of Washington from the top of Eisenhower.
021-1.jpg

PS: Trail conditions are given in the trail conditions report.

Last edited:
Great shots -- for a minute, I thought they were from last winter.

Your pictures were from Saturday, right?

Wish I had hiked that day instead of Sunday, a day a later -- by Sunday, much of the snow at the higher elevations had melted.

Bummer...

Yes, I did forget to date them didn't I. They are from Saturday 11/07/09. Saturday morning first thing, there was a dusting of snow at the trailhead which steadily increased as we went up. By 2700' we were walking in the snow. Saturday afternoon the snow was pretty well gone below 2700'.

Gorgeous!

Really nice pictures, Ed! Emma really likes the one of Lauky! She's not much of a poser, so maybe she'll pick up a few tips! It would make my attempts to photograph her a bit easier!

KDT

Thank you

Really great pictures -- beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Wowser (Nancy)

Awesome photos. What a difference a day can make this time of year. I took this one yesterday (Sunday) as I too was lured closer to Washington. I got a late start and had to head down Edmands. Safe to say your pics trump mine!

Pat

Really nice pictures, Ed! Emma really likes the one of Lauky! She's not much of a poser, so maybe she'll pick up a few tips! It would make my attempts to photograph her a bit easier!

KDT

Lauky says thanks. You know he keeps asking me when he can see that cute little Emma again.;) I must say that I dream of the day when I can get a picture of him out there without that leash, but Lauky will be Lauky. There are some advantages. When I had Duffy I only saw him about half the time when we were below the tree line. He was always up ahead somewhere. At least being tethered to Lauky I have someone to talk to.:D

Awesome photos. What a difference a day can make this time of year. I took this one yesterday (Sunday) as I too was lured closer to Washington. I got a late start and had to head down Edmands. Safe to say your pics trump mine!

Pat

The difference between your picture and the one I took from the same spot is incredible. It's hard to believe that they were taken just a day apart.:confused: With today's weather the hikers must have been sunbathing up on the deck on Washington.:D

Excellent report and photos!
And I do agree that Pierce has what I'd call a "Goldilocks" view toward Washington, i.e. not too far, and not too close . . . just right!

I do think Pierce is quite spectacular but I think Davis (OK the viewpoint near Davis) gives it a run for its money.

Lauky Envy

"So that's what we did, we headed over there. As we were hiking I was telling Lauky about Atticus getting into the movie business. The conversation really inspired him so here he is doing is best Atticus imitation from near the top of Eisenhower."

I think at this time Ed, Atticus would much rather imitate Lauky. Too much writing and not enough hiking these past few months. I've promised him we'll remedy that in the coming weeks and throughout the winter when we're back to our fundraising. But for now I'm sure he envies Lauky.

"So that's what we did, we headed over there. As we were hiking I was telling Lauky about Atticus getting into the movie business. The conversation really inspired him so here he is doing is best Atticus imitation from near the top of Eisenhower."

I think at this time Ed, Atticus would much rather imitate Lauky. Too much writing and not enough hiking these past few months. I've promised him we'll remedy that in the coming weeks and throughout the winter when we're back to our fundraising. But for now I'm sure he envies Lauky.

That's one cute face in that avatar Tom, I'm so glad you use that picture and not one of yourself. :D:D:D (Hey folks, that really was a joke!)