South Hancock via Hancock Notch/Cedar Brook/Hancock Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Some Scout Guy

Date of Hike: 11/7/09-11/8/09

Overnight trip with a group of Boy Scouts -- 6 Scouts and 3 Adults.

Left from Hancock trailhead after 10AM (lot quite full, only 2 empty spaces when we got there.) One other hiker got there just as we were leaving. Temps in the comfortable 30's

Trail Conditions: Hancock Notch Trail leaf-covered and in pretty good shape. 1 blowdown, easily stepped over, a couple of minor muddy spots. A dusting of snow beside the trail.

Cedar Brook Trail is generally in good shape, but has some muddy spots farther on. Lots of exposed roots from the years of heavy traffic on this popular route. All stream crossings were relatively easy, some with a little splashing. Waterproof boots a necessity.

We set up camp out of sight of the trail shortly before the junction with the Hancock Loop Trail, and continued with just day packs. Hancock Loop Trail had a lot more ice & mud, with one giant mud hole on the lower portion of the trail before the loop junction. It appeared that someone had put corduroy through this section at one point, but mother nature has decisively won the battle.

Once the Hancock Loop Trail began to climb, the snow and ice in spots became thicker. By the 3500 foot level, the trail was entirely covered in snow, even with all the earlier traffic. About a third of the downward traffic was wearing microspikes.

In proof that (a) I am an idiot and (b) it is probably genetic, my microspikes and my son's were both sitting in the car at the trailhead.

Summitted South Hancock at about 2:20 PM, and after the requisite photos and a cup of hot cocoa from the vacuum bottle, we returned the way we came. We decided to do only South Hancock this day to make sure could get back down to our campsite before dark. The microspikes would have been helpful, but we made it without incident. Got back to campsite just before sunset, around 4PM.

On Sunday the trip down Cedar Brook Trail and Hancock Notch Trail involved no ice, only some mud. Temperatures were in the 50s by the time we reached the trailhead at 9:45AM.

Special Gear required -- 2 of our group had hiking staffs, all barebooted. Those microspikes would have been a vastly better idea. Waterproof boots a definite requirement.

Comments: Met Lucy the mountain-climbing dog coming down from South Hancock.

A great hike, even if I was a little slow on that last .25 mile to the summit.

Your Name: Jeff Carter

Your E-mail: jeffc at apeirogon.org