UL packable down parka

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
Looks like numerous brands have a 800-850 fill light and packable jacket and parka including Montbell, MH, Mammut, and now even LL Bean. The trade-off on weight is durability. What do you suggest, specifically for fall-spring wear only when you need it on summit stops during day hikes? (or in emergencies).

I was recently looking for the same thing (but for winter, so not sure if it's too much for what you need). Went with the Rab Neutrino Endurance - 850 fill, packs small, weighs a pound, water resistant exterior. I also have the UL inner down jacket from Montbell and find that it's not warm enough for much of anything. They have something one step up that may be good, though.

I have a 650 fill EMS jacket I bought on clearance for $45 two years ago. While I wanted something in the range of 850 fill, the extra coin won out. I use it just as you describe. It packs down only to the size of two 1L Nalgenes, but in the shoulder seasons, I have the space in my pack.

I too have been shopping for an UL down jacket to wear in camp under a shell, not for hiking.

I've been eyeing the Montbell Alpine Lt down jacket for $137. I'd prefer a hood n longer tail, parka rather than a jacket.

Any thoughts on this one?

Hey Adkayaker,

I'd like to throw a few out there. (I work for REI in Reading Ma, I may or may not be biased, std disclaimer, etc)

Anywho; take a look at the REI Antifreeze II, 700 fill (I know it's not 800+ fill, but), 24 oz, great reviews on rei.com, $179.00.

Also check out the Marmot Ama Dablam, 800 fill, 18 oz, also well reviewed on the dot com, $200.00.

Joe

REI Antifreeze II
Weight: 24 oz
Fill Weight: not provided

Montbell Alipine Light Parka
Weight: 14.2 oz.
Fill Weight: 4.2 oz

Unless the REI has 10 oz of down (which I guarantee it doesn't), it's shell is a LOT heavier. You gotta decide if that's something that interests you.

The Montbell Parka (and most Montbell gear) is a great value, IMO. And I agree that the hood is worth it's weight in...down and nylon.

Depends how much $$ you want to spend. You can get an excellent jacket at LL Beans outlets, or Cabela's or Lands End for $50 when they're on sale. Or buy a $175+ version of a name brand.

I have a Montbell I got on close-out at Mountain Gear several years ago for $55 and use it in the manner you describe. But, when I do overnights in the Sierra I bring my $47 LL Bean because it's warmer although a bit heavier.

ferris;

Hmm, I don't work with montbell gear so I don't know about their stuff. Yes, I am not familiar with stuff I don't sell. Do you have personal experience with this jacket, or are a clothing engineer or producer? You may know something I don't.

Adkyaker;

The fill power is 700. It is on the page which loads with the jacket. The weight also includes the insulated hood and stuff sack. It is also a baffled jacket which bumps the weight up a smidge. I will try to find out the fill weight.

I know customers and fellow employees who have both the REI and the Marmot. Both nice, light, and reasonably priced for folks who know you don't need the highest end gear to go out and have fun and stay warm.

Joe

Biggest factor is fill weight, then fill power...and then, to a much lesser degree, construction (baffled vs sewn-through), in determining how warm your down will be. I personally tend to be leary of down gear where the fill weight isn't readily available, but a deal's a deal, so...

If looking for something that will keep you warm while doing minimal/moderate activity in temps around 30 F, then 4.5 oz (if 800 fill) is generally what you're looking for...assuming a light long underwear/base layer under your down.

I know nothing that the numbers don't tell me. I'm just putting those numbers out here for reference. "UL packable" means something different to everyone, so...

I have had the mountain hardware sub zero hooded for a few years now and it always does the job.. I use it on winter/fall/spring days/nights in NH, I have used it on summer mountaineering trips (rainier, mt blanc, hood, etc.) and it does the trick for everything I do - the only reason I would upgrade would if I was heading to denali or something.

Its warm and packs down pretty small.

with some shopping around, you can find one for under 200 bucks... worth every penny.

It has the conduit shell witch repels water, snow pretty good.

Biggest factor is fill weight, then fill power...and then, to a much lesser degree, construction (baffled vs sewn-through), in determining how warm your down will be.
Actually, loft (thickness) is more important than weight but no one publishes it.

US Army Quartermaster insulation table:
Code:
                        light   heavy
temp    sleeping        work    work
 40F    1.5"             .8"    .20"
 20F    2.0"            1.0"    .27"
  0F    2.5"            1.3"    .35"
-20F    3.0"            1.6"    .40"
-40F    3.5"            1.9"    .48"
-60F    4.0"            2.1"    .52"
Of course, these are averages--there is significant individual variation.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks for the table Doug.

Check out this deal at Campsaver on the Montbell Parka?

http://www.campsaver.com/ItemMatrix.asp?Pt=&GroupCode=mtb0052&MatrixType=2

I'm ordering it today. Looks like a good deal, 4.2 oz fill of 800 down, compressable, light weight.

I occasionally read Whiteblaze.com and they are very high on this parka. They do state that Montbell tends to run a tad on the small size, so if you are in doubt, you might want to order a size up. Here is the Montbell sizing chart for North American men:

http://www.montbell.us/products/images/sizetable/a_men.jpg

Marty

Loft is based on fill weight and power.
Yes but there is no easy way to convert weight and power to loft. Some of the EMS catalogs of the early 1970s used a consistent method to measure the loft for the catalogs, but I'm not aware of anyone doing it since then. FWIW, when I go into a store to look at down/polyester parkas/sleeping bags, the first thing I look at is the loft. (Manufacturer's temp ratings are very inconsistent.)

Newspaper, steel wool, wool, polyester, and down all give pretty similar insulation for the same thickness, but their weights vary significantly.

Doug

Thanks for the table Doug.

Check out this deal at Campsaver on the Montbell Parka?

http://www.campsaver.com/ItemMatrix.asp?Pt=&GroupCode=mtb0052&MatrixType=2

I'm ordering it today. Looks like a good deal, 4.2 oz fill of 800 down, compressable, light weight.

paul ron, that's not the Alpine Light mentioned earlier, but does look pretty good for some extra insulation. Spadout links to the Alpine Light at $175 and it seems to have somewhere around twice the 800 fill down (based on stated weights; 7.4 oz vs 14.2 oz.)

Montbell has 2 or 3 versions of Alpine parkas and Alpine jackets.They are the Extra UL, US UL and the UL versions. This is the only parka that comes in my size.

THis one I picked has 2.5oz of fill. I see the difference on the Montbell site specs.

Last edited: