Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UL packable down parka

Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Thanks for the table Doug.

Check out this deal at Campsaver on the Montbell Parka?

http://www.campsaver.com/ItemMatrix....2&MatrixType=2

I'm ordering it today. Looks like a good deal, 4.2 oz fill of 800 down, compressable, light weight.
    I occasionally read Whiteblaze.com and they are very high on this parka. They do state that Montbell tends to run a tad on the small size, so if you are in doubt, you might want to order a size up. Here is the Montbell sizing chart for North American men:

http://www.montbell.us/products/imag...able/a_men.jpg

Marty
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985

Quote Originally Posted by ferrisjrf View Post
    Loft is based on fill weight and power.
    Yes but there is no easy way to convert weight and power to loft. Some of the EMS catalogs of the early 1970s used a consistent method to measure the loft for the catalogs, but I'm not aware of anyone doing it since then. FWIW, when I go into a store to look at down/polyester parkas/sleeping bags, the first thing I look at is the loft. (Manufacturer's temp ratings are very inconsistent.)

Newspaper, steel wool, wool, polyester, and down all give pretty similar insulation for the same thickness, but their weights vary significantly.

Doug

Thanks for the table Doug.

Check out this deal at Campsaver on the Montbell Parka?

http://www.campsaver.com/ItemMatrix....2&MatrixType=2

I'm ordering it today. Looks like a good deal, 4.2 oz fill of 800 down, compressable, light weight.
    paul ron, that's not the Alpine Light mentioned earlier, but does look pretty good for some extra insulation. Spadout links to the Alpine Light at $175 and it seems to have somewhere around twice the 800 fill down (based on stated weights; 7.4 oz vs 14.2 oz.)
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I've been eyeing the Montbell Alpine Lt down jacket for $137. I'd prefer a hood n longer tail, parka rather than a jacket.
    If you could find the Alpine Light for $137, I'd get that.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Montbell has 2 or 3 versions of Alpine parkas and Alpine jackets.They are the Extra UL, US UL and the UL versions. This is the only parka that comes in my size.

THis one I picked has 2.5oz of fill. I see the difference on the Montbell site specs.
    Last edited by paul ron; 11-12-2009 at 09:50 AM.

llbean outlets have a nice hooded down jacket, not sure if its official 'ultralight' but it sure ain't heavy. They are 90 bucks, I got three of them left that i paid 14 dollars for in the spring. I usually sell em at cost to fellow hikers at the trailhead after hikes. If you go into one of the outlets, you could probably snag a good deal. I go to the one in concord that is local, there are a few more outlets around, such as nashua, manchester, north conway. When I buy em, I try to get the tall version and oversized, you get more coverage and people usually want them to quickly throw on over their clothes on a summit or a stop
    why are there people like Frank??

I've been very happy with my Montbell UL down jacket, light, warm, super-compressable, no complaints from me, got it on sale, great after hike, sitting around the tent/staying warm piece of gear.
    ~Chickety

I have one of Western Mountaineering's "Flight" series jackets, which I am very happy with (not a parka, no hood, 10.5 oz.)
    (The Montbell UL pants are great, BTW!)
    You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things — to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated. - Edmund Hillary

Montbell Alpine Light, love it, bought for Nepal trekking last fall and it was just perfect for cold nights and chilly mornings above 10k, about 14 ounces or so and looks great as well. It quickly became my "always-in-the-pack" item for winter hiking in New England.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    US Army Quartermaster insulation table:
    Code:
                            light   heavy
    temp    sleeping        work    work
     40F    1.5"             .8"    .20"
     20F    2.0"            1.0"    .27"
      0F    2.5"            1.3"    .35"
    -20F    3.0"            1.6"    .40"
    -40F    3.5"            1.9"    .48"
    -60F    4.0"            2.1"    .52"
    Just a thought: If you're out doing work and the temp is -60F, are you terribly concerned if your down parka is UL or not?

Quote Originally Posted by DrJJFate View Post
    Just a thought: If you're out doing work and the temp is -60F, are you terribly concerned if your down parka is UL or not?
    Maybe if your doing heavy work. I think at -60 my comfort level would require more than .52 inches though.

I use the ol' (.x0) inches for every -10 below 0. I just made that up. Almost works though!
    Cory D
    “I don’t know if momma was right or if it’s Lieutenant Dan. I don’t know if we each have a destiny… or if we're all floating around accidental like.. on a breeze. But, I think… maybe it’s both… maybe both are happening at the same time.” –Forrest Gump.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJJFate View Post
    I think at -60F one should be far more concerned about not sweating (and not getting overly cold) than the weight of one's parka...

Doug

Feathered Friends of Seattle makes really nice down products:
    www.featheredfriends.com Their stuff is "handmade in Seattle since 1972" for those who are concerned w/where their gear is produced. It's not cheap, but I came across a barely worn Volant jacket in a used gear shop there for about $100. Loved it on Denali... don't wear it much in CA!

after reseraching, i've decided to look for the best price on a

Montbell Alpine Light parka with hood

good compromise of weight and durability.

I would think that at - 60F one should be concerned with NOT BEING THERE in the first place

I bought the REI Spruce Run (compressible synthetic light-mid jacket) and was very glad I had it, in 20-ish temps.

MR