UL packable down parka

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
llbean outlets have a nice hooded down jacket, not sure if its official 'ultralight' but it sure ain't heavy. They are 90 bucks, I got three of them left that i paid 14 dollars for in the spring. I usually sell em at cost to fellow hikers at the trailhead after hikes. If you go into one of the outlets, you could probably snag a good deal. I go to the one in concord that is local, there are a few more outlets around, such as nashua, manchester, north conway. When I buy em, I try to get the tall version and oversized, you get more coverage and people usually want them to quickly throw on over their clothes on a summit or a stop

I've been very happy with my Montbell UL down jacket, light, warm, super-compressable, no complaints from me, got it on sale, great after hike, sitting around the tent/staying warm piece of gear.

Montbell Alpine Light, love it, bought for Nepal trekking last fall and it was just perfect for cold nights and chilly mornings above 10k, about 14 ounces or so and looks great as well. It quickly became my "always-in-the-pack" item for winter hiking in New England.
John

US Army Quartermaster insulation table:
Code:
                        light   heavy
temp    sleeping        work    work
 40F    1.5"             .8"    .20"
 20F    2.0"            1.0"    .27"
  0F    2.5"            1.3"    .35"
-20F    3.0"            1.6"    .40"
-40F    3.5"            1.9"    .48"
-60F    4.0"            2.1"    .52"

Just a thought: If you're out doing work and the temp is -60F, are you terribly concerned if your down parka is UL or not?

Just a thought: If you're out doing work and the temp is -60F, are you terribly concerned if your down parka is UL or not?

Maybe if your doing heavy work.:) I think at -60 my comfort level would require more than .52 inches though.

I use the ol' (.x0) inches for every -10 below 0. I just made that up. Almost works though!

Feathered Friends of Seattle makes really nice down products:
www.featheredfriends.com Their stuff is "handmade in Seattle since 1972" for those who are concerned w/where their gear is produced. It's not cheap, but I came across a barely worn Volant jacket in a used gear shop there for about $100. Loved it on Denali... don't wear it much in CA! :D

after reseraching, i've decided to look for the best price on a

Montbell Alpine Light parka with hood

good compromise of weight and durability.

I would think that at - 60F one should be concerned with NOT BEING THERE in the first place :)

I bought the REI Spruce Run (compressible synthetic light-mid jacket) and was very glad I had it, in 20-ish temps.

MR

I would think that at - 60F one should be concerned with NOT BEING THERE in the first place :)
Read "The Worst Journey in the World" by Apsley Cherry-Garrard if you want some insight into "life" at those temps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Worst_Journey_in_the_World http://www.amazon.com/Worst-Journey-World-Apsley-Cherry-Garrard/dp/0786704373

Mike Horn talks about Arctic travel in temps as low as -98 in "Conquering the Impossible". http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?u...ld-keywords=conquering+the+impossible&x=0&y=0

Doug

Last edited:
I stock up on the EMS down sweaters for ~$50 when on sale. I don't like to buy the high end ones since after 1 trip they get all kinds of burn holes anyway.