Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books by women or about women

Books by women or about women

I recently finished, “When Women and Mountains Meet” (Julie Boardman, 2001). I picked it up earlier this year and finally got around to reading it. It was truly enjoyable not just for the nice collection of accounts of women who are a part of White Mountain history but also for the rich historical information, some of which I had forgotten and some of which was new and quite interesting to me. Highly recommended.

I would be interested in input on similar books. There are several threads already on books (clicking on the tag search under ‘books’ or the tag at the bottom of this thread will bring up most all of these). I didn’t see this title mentioned. I’d like to see this thread continue the theme of books by women or about women, especially in relation to the mountains and their history.

I’ll add a few of other titles I’ve enjoyed:

“Mountain Summers” (Peter and June Rowan), a collection of letters from the late 1800’s reveal an insight to early women hikers.

“Forest and Crag” (Guy and Laura Waterman), I think most are familiar with this rich hiking history.

“Our Mountain Trips” (Ben and Jane English), edited from the journals of their grandparents on early hiking and camping in the Whites.

“Lucy Crawford’s History of the White Mountains” (Lucy Crawford), think Crawford Trail, Crawford Notch and much more.

“We Took to the Woods” (Louise Dickerson Rich), not the White Mountains but living off the land in the woods of Maine.

“Polar Dream” (Helen Thayer), her account of a 1988 solo ski trip to the north pole.
    I'm just outwalkin....

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    “Mountain Summers” (Peter and June Rowan), a collection of letters from the late 1800’s reveal an insight to early women hikers.
    An absolutely first class book ... not sure it is still in print.

Living with Cannibals and Other Women's Adventures by Michele Slung

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Canniba.../dp/0792276868

I liked this one.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

Women with Altitude is a collection of trip reports by women winter Adirondack 46ers. Great book.

Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
    My all-time favorite (so far) is Arlene Blum, Annapurna: A Woman's Place. Two others come quickly to mind, the first a classic, the second fairly recent (and by a local author): Miriam Underhill, Give Me the Hills, and Rebecca A. Brown, Women on High: Pioneers of Mountaineering.

I enjoyed "Yukon Wild" by Beth Johnson and agree that Arlene Blum's book is worth reading.

Also "Adirondack Passage" by Christine Jerome is very well written and rich in history. It is about the Adirondack guide, "Nessmuk" and about Jerome's modern day trip to trace his historical routes.

Pat T

"A Woman's Journey" by Cindy Ross
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Program Region Leader Emeritus: Pemigewasset 1993-2005 Southern Presidentials 2005-2017
    Trail Adopter: Webster Cliff Trail

"Second Ascent" by Alison Osius ( The Story Of Hugh Herr )
    You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things — to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated. - Edmund Hillary

Louise Hillary's books about hiking with her husband Sir Edmund and children are very well-written: A Yak for Christmas and Keep Calm If You Can.

Senior Member The Unstrung Harp's Avatar
    I also loved Arlene Blum's Annapurna: A Woman's Place, and her new book, Breaking Trail. Annapurna was the first mountaineering book I read, before I knew anything about the sport. I was a teenager. Maybe should be required reading...
    0/1 NH48-THRU

Trek For Peace

"West with the Night" by Beryl Markham

Arctic Daughter (1993) by Jean Aspen - out of print but widely available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Daughte...8218475&sr=1-1

"The child of a famous female explorer describes her own journey down the Yukon to the Chandalar River with her childhood sweetheart, recounting their experiences living off the land in the remote Brooks Range."

The series of four books, Woodswoman and Woodswoman II, III and IIII, by Anne LaBastille. It describes her life living in a log cabin in the Adirondacks and in the last book, as she is older, her life on a farm near Lake Champlain. This woman had some serious courage and tenacity. Interesting reading and inspring books for those who would love to chuck it all and live a semi-solitary, backwoods life style. She sort of became a "woodsie" celebrity.

"Clouds from Both Sides" by Julie Tullis

"A Hard Day's Summer" by Allison Hargreaves -- first person to climb the six major Alpine faces solo, her story.

Alas, both the above women perished on K2... documented in
    "Savage Summit" by Jennifer Jordan (which I did not think was particularly well written)

"Beyond the Limits" by Stacy Allison -- first US woman to summit Everest

"There are Mountains to Climb" by Jean Deeds -- documents her '94 AT thru hike at age 50-something

A second plug for "A Women's Journey" by Cindy Ross -- planted the seed long ago for my own AT thru hike!

"Yukon Wild" by Beth Johnson

and, most recently:

"Woman on the Rock," the mountaineering letters of Ruth Dyar Mendenhall -- covers a 50-year climbing career, mostly in the Sierra Nevada, beginning in the 1930s, by her daughter Valerie Mendenhall Cohen

"Another Wilderness" edited by Susan Fox Rogers

This is an anthology of outdoor writing by female authors, including the Whites' own Lydia B. Goetze.
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Program Region Leader Emeritus: Pemigewasset 1993-2005 Southern Presidentials 2005-2017
    Trail Adopter: Webster Cliff Trail