Giant-RPR Thru Hike Details

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgeman

Reaction score
Looking for any information on distance and average time estimate to hike from Rt.9 over Rocky Peak Ridge and Giant then descend to Rt.73.

Was planning on stashing a car at the rt.73 trailhead then camping near the rt.9 trailhead. Are there any legal camping areas in the vicinity of the rt.9 trailhead.

I will be hiking Sawteeth and possibly Colvin and Blake on Saturday and was planning on Giant and RPR on Sunday. As we will be in Keene Valley late Saturday any camping info between there and rt.9 trailhead would be appreciated.

I did this in the reverse direction (Rte 73 near Chapel Pond to Rte 9). I think the distance is around 10 miles. Time is between 8 and 9 hours.
There is a lot of climbing involved - especially if you start from Rte 9.
Bring lots of water - as the only source along the ridge is Lake Marie Louis (which does not look too good).

Bridgeman,

I've done this one a few times in both directions. No matter what, it's a beauty! You won't be disappointed.

It's 10.8 miles and 4800' of vertical (in the direction you're going). I prefer doing this one in the direction you are planning, because my feet don't like long downhills. It's all very good trail, so your time will be determined by fitness and weather. (Certainly is terrible right now; I feel for you if you are actually on Colvin and Blake today - very muddy!)

I agree with Rivet that Lake Mary Louise looks manky, but I have filtered it and drunk it with no ill effect. And if you happen to catch it when the water lilies are in bloom, it's something to see.

Regarding camping between KV and the Rte. 9 trailhead, remember that on state land you can camp anywhere that is at least 150' from a road, trail, or body of water, as long as it is not specifically prohibited by a No Camping sign. If you wilderness camp, be careful to leave no trace. If you want an actual designated camping area, there's one at the North end of Chapel Pond (small dirt road goes in). Many people also camp in the general area where the two fork of the Boquet cross route 73. Some of these people camp legally, and many illegally.

Have a good trip!

In case you want to jog?!

Hi Bridgeman!
I know that you are interested in trail running, so I am posting my times for the Giant/RPR/Rt 9 and back to rte 73 t/h that I did a couple of years ago.

Rte 73 to Giant - 1:10
Giant to RPR - :30
RPR to Rte 9 - 1:50
Rte 9 to Rte 73 - 1:30 a slight uphill all the way!

(5hrs total, 3:30hrs w/o the road portion)

have FUN!:D and let me know if you run or wish to hook up for another loop.

Last edited:
TCD said:
I agree with Rivet that Lake Mary Louise looks manky, but I have filtered it and drunk it with no ill effect. And if you happen to catch it when the water lilies are in bloom, it's something to see.

The lake is a nice place to stop. Lots of frogs too, in case you're hungry :p. You're about halfway through the hike when you reach the Lake. Total of 10-11 miles sounds about right. If you're like us, you'll stop for vistas and blueberries often.

rrRidge07.jpg

There's a lot of flat land near the parking area at route 9, and I don't recall seeing any 'no camping' markers there. Just be aware that a lot of people not staying there to camp wander into those woods to take a bathroom break before/after a hike.

Okay, the 'a lot of people' includes myself and hiking partner when we were there in July, probably why I thought to mention it. ;)

TCD,
Re: The campsite at Chapel pond, does this area fill up? or is it just an open area? I know where the road is, just never driven down it.

Thanks for the information.

Bridgeman,

I can't vouch for the availability of space; but I think the Chapel Pond area is a "camp wherever you can fit type of place, as opposed to designated sites (I think...!).

Here's a couple other things: I think the land around the parking lot on Rte. 9 is private land, so it may not be legal to camp there; I'm not sure. Also, for a while that parking lot was famous for car break-ins (nasty people looking for money, not nice bears looking for food!). I think I heard they caught the person responsible, but I would still take valuables with me, not leave them in the car.

And while we're posting times, here's mine:

From Rte. 9, over RPR and Giant (including blueberry cobbles and the actual summit of Giant), to Rte. 73: 3:32.

Have fun!

TCD

Another option

If you want to camp, I suggest going up the back side of Giant. There is a nice leanto near the trail junction for Giant. Its about a 5 mile hike in, fairly flat. If you are ambitious, you can head due south through the thickets to catch up with a beautiful, long slide.

RPR is not to be missed. Spectacular. 14.0 miles round trip. We did it in a day, took us 10 1/2 hours.

-percious