Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mittens for really cold hands

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    For that matter, I do not believe extra glove layers really helps prevent this condition. For me at least, it is mostly a reaction by my body to conserve heat by restricting blood flow to the extremities. ]
    My mama always said. if you're hands are cold, put on a warmer hat. She never said anything about boxes of chocolates, but eating chocolate may help supply necessary calories to keep you warm.

my advice. keep em dry. wear layers, use hand warmers. I've heard they work well not just on the finger tips, but when placed near the wrists to warm the blood as it flows into the hand. they actually sell wrist bands with little pockets for hand warmers.

I've also heard that neoprene ice fishing or kayaking gloves are a good liner and vapor barrier. haven't tried it myself. anyone???

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbitling View Post
    My mama always said. if you're hands are cold, put on a warmer hat. She never said anything about boxes of chocolates, but eating chocolate may help supply necessary calories to keep you warm.

my advice. keep em dry. wear layers, use hand warmers. I've heard they work well not just on the finger tips, but when placed near the wrists to warm the blood as it flows into the hand. they actually sell wrist bands with little pockets for hand warmers.

I've also heard that neoprene ice fishing or kayaking gloves are a good liner and vapor barrier. haven't tried it myself. anyone???
    I wear a hat. I eat chocolate. I keep 'em dry. I wear layers. Sometimes they still get cold. Then I use hand warmers. (Sometimes before that). I've tried the wrist-type, but it was a miserable failure. YMMV. Have not tried neoprene.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

I'm with ya, Tom. I have Raynaud's, and I get all the standard suggestions all the time.

I tried Neoprene years ago and was disappointed. I have found that any compression of the fingers, even a very slight compression such as is introduced by a neoprene glove, will greatly accelerate Raynaud's onset. I didn't try a "baggy" neoprene glove...I don't know if anyone makes a neoprene mitten.

Bottom line as far as I can see is: do everything right; wear mittens and use chemical heaters; and still plan on getting frozen fingers occasionally that will force you to stop and either swing them, or put them in your armpits.

TCD

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    I'm with ya, Tom. I have Raynaud's, and I get all the standard suggestions all the time.

I tried Neoprene years ago and was disappointed. I have found that any compression of the fingers, even a very slight compression such as is introduced by a neoprene glove, will greatly accelerate Raynaud's onset. I didn't try a "baggy" neoprene glove...I don't know if anyone makes a neoprene mitten.

Bottom line as far as I can see is: do everything right; wear mittens and use chemical heaters; and still plan on getting frozen fingers occasionally that will force you to stop and either swing them, or put them in your armpits.

TCD
    After a long day, I find that my skin is not very warm, including my arm pits. I don't feel cold, but maybe I am getting close.
    Tom Rankin
    CEO

Heated Gloves!

These are expensive, but they may be worth it.

Note: 'Campfire' is the brand, not the heating method!
    Tom Rankin
    CEO

Maybe i should email this link to my boyfriend
    Carol

Chip linked to these wool mittens. Are they the famed Dachstein mittens? A) Made in Austria; B) "so dense a weave that they're almost waterproof; C) long cuff (rolled over); D) fuzzy. I think they are.

Edit to add: I just called Sweaters International and they say that these are Dachstein wool.
    Last edited by TEO; 12-03-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daxs View Post
    Maybe i should email this link to my boyfriend
    Can't you keep his hands warm?
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    Chip linked to these wool mittens. Are they the famed Dachstein mittens? A) Made in Austria; B) "so dense a weave that they're almost waterproof; C) long cuff (rolled over); D) fuzzy. I think they are.

Edit to add: I just called Sweaters International and they say that these are Dachstein wool.
    The mitten in the picture looks like a Dachstein.

Doug

According to The Mountaineer, the Ortovox "Dachstein" wool mitten is not an actual Dachstein mitten. The description says that the Ortovox is made in Germany; Dachstein mittens are called that because they are made in Dachstein, Austria.

Furthermore, a friend succumbed to purchasing those $50 () Ortovox mittens from The Mountaineer and discovered that they are not as thick as traditional Dachstein mittens and the end of the thumb is stitched together instead of knit together.
    Last edited by TEO; 12-03-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post

Thanks for the link! - I added a pair for me and the lady to our Christmas list.

Is that a real Dachstein or is that a Sears Dachstein? --FZ.

Quote Originally Posted by --M. View Post
    Is that a real Dachstein or is that a Sears Dachstein? --FZ.
    Well played, Mr. Bond...

("But I got the crystal ball...!!!")
    "Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

ADK46: 25/46 W5
    NH48: 26/48 W8

obscure Zappa references aside, those are "THE REAL" mittens I linked to above. I'm going to order a couple pair for the winter packs.

"Dachstein Wool Mittens

$29.00

100% Wool Mittens in a weave so dense they're almost waterproof. We've actually held them under the faucet for a minute without any water getting through. Of course, like everything we sell, if you're not satisfied we'll refund your money. Made in Austria"
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    These are expensive, but they may be worth it.

Note: 'Campfire' is the brand, not the heating method!
    I had a pair of heated Lange Alpine Racing boots back in the day. They were FREAKIN AWESOME !!! What a luxury to flip the switch on for the ride back up the hill. I'd say the gloves would be worth it if you need them.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.