triage via tecumseh

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update

thought i would post what i found out at my post-surgical follow up on monday. this was two weeks out of surgery. i was happy to find out that everything was going well. the x-rays were impressive to see. hard to imagine that hardware in my body. in this case it was 11 screws and a steel plate about 6 or so inches long. also got out of the temporary splint, had sutures removed and got a fiberglass cast on which has been a revelation compared to the uncomfortable splint.
the plan is 4 weeks non-weight bearing in the cast and then going into a walking boot for another 6 weeks. then i will ween myself out of the boot and start physical therapy. the doctors best estimate is another 16 weeks to be ready to start building back into my "normal" activities. hopefully things play out along this time line without any setbacks.
the snow falling outside right now looks wonderful and i know it's coming down even harder up north. should be some awesome snowshoe conditions coming soon. have fun.
take it easy.

bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for the update. It seems like you are making good progress. And, your comments read like you're in a pretty good frame of mind. I hope that's the case.

We'll be thinking of you this weekend on our way to Carrigain on a fresh load of snow.

Good luck!

earl- getting good news monday was really helpful for me. was feeling pretty down before that. can see the light at the end of the tunnel thought it's a long way out.
enjoy carrigain. i have a number of great memories breaking fresh snow up signal ridge. looks like you guys may be getting some of that.
thanks.

bryan

well, i figured i'd post another update on my ankle recovery for anyone interested.
had some good looking x-rays taken today and i'm free from the fiberglass cast. i'm now in a walking boot and free to start hobbling around with/without crutches as best i can. still not totally healed so i have to be careful, but can at least take it off to do some flexing of the ankle, scratch an itch or shower. all the muscles in the ankle and foot are impressively stiff to the point it's hard to imagine the way they used to move. another 6 weeks and i'll start walking without the boot and doing physical therapy. hopefully this spring some sort of hiking will resume. all this free time has allowed for lots of research into new places to visit so i'm looking forward to it.
it's been nice keeping in touch with the mountains vicariously through all of your reports. i have also spent a lot of time searching back through older posts and have gotten lots of great information. thanks for that. keep enjoying the winter.

bryan

If I had a magic wand

I echo what LRiz says. If a had a magic wand I would say, "HEAL!!!" keep us updated.

Bryan, I am so sorry to hear about your injury. Wishing you a rapid recovery. I hope all goes well with the orthopedic doctor. Please do be sure keep us updated on your progress... (hug).

well, i figured i'd post another update on my ankle recovery for anyone interested.
had some good looking x-rays taken today and i'm free from the fiberglass cast. i'm now in a walking boot and free to start hobbling around with/without crutches as best i can. still not totally healed so i have to be careful, but can at least take it off to do some flexing of the ankle, scratch an itch or shower.
I had heard reports about you needing a shower - real bad. I guess this should take care of that. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update. Keep moving ahead. ;)

Hello Bryan: I am pretty sure that you are the guy my friend Creaky Knees and I met a little over a year ago in December '08 on the Gale River Trail, while you were on the way up to a successful summit of Galehead, and we were emerging from an unsuccessful attempt the day before which had required us to admit defeat, and camp for the night. Our sympathies on your Tecumseh mishap, and hope that your ankle continues to get better - sounds like you cleaned out the hardware store! Best wishes, Rick.

My good hiking buddy's favorite expression

Remember, we're old men in the woods, without helmets. Tough break, you have my empathy and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Buddy

Hello Bryan: I am pretty sure that you are the guy my friend Creaky Knees and I met a little over a year ago in December '08 on the Gale River Trail

that i am. if it hadn't been for being able to follow the broken track you guys laid out most of the way to bypass the the gale river crossings i probably wouldn't have made it either. that was a tough day to hit galehead.

earl- all around me (including myself) will appreciate my ability to bathe more easily/frequently.

thanks guys.

bryan

Great news Bryan.

We can start a SENH crippled hikers support group. I sustained a broken hip Dec 20th in a head on collision with a girl who lost control of her car.

We can start a SENH crippled hikers support group. I sustained a broken hip Dec 20th in a head on collision with a girl who lost control of her car.

man, i'm sorry to hear that. what kind of recovery time does an injury like that have? given the type of accident i'm glad to hear it wasn't any worse. hope you heal up quickly.

bryan

ankle update 2/18/10

i thought i would post another update to my ankle injury thread for anyone that is interested.
after 6 weeks in a walking boot i went back in for a follow-up today. everything looked good and i will be starting 6 weeks of physical therapy on monday.
the last six weeks have seen great improvement physically and mentally as i have been able to move around much more freely, do some limited exercise on a stationary bike and even complete some small projects around the house. ankle mobility is still somewhat limited despite lots of flexing and stretching, but the p.t. should help to get that back in order. i have had some irritation from the plate they put in my ankle where it rubs on the outside which is something i will have to live with for now. long term (after 1 year) it can be removed, but would require more surgery/recovery. i'm hoping to not have to go that road, but we will see.
if all continues to go well i'm hoping to start doing some hiking in april. i look forward to seeing you all out on the trails.
my best wishes go out to bill schor. i hope he has a speedy recovery.
thanks.

bryan

Thanks for the update Bryan. Let's hope the irritation from the plate passes. It would really be unfortunate if you ended up in another rehab process.

I'm looking forward to seeing you on the trail as well. ;)

Great news Brian. 2 more weeks on cruthces for me and I'll be looking forward to rehabing in the Blue hills and Pawtuckaway. Let me know if you want to hook up for a big 3 miler...

Great news Brian. 2 more weeks on cruthces for me and I'll be looking forward to rehabing in the Blue hills and Pawtuckaway. Let me know if you want to hook up for a big 3 miler...

good to hear you're on the mend. i'm all for some big 3 milers. once i'm cleared to do some hiking i'll be in touch. i'm sure i'll be getting a lot of blue job and parker mountain time in. then maybe some short rides up to the belknaps....

bryan