Next adventure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Hi all...

Hubby and I are looking for our next peaks to bag (we are on our SLOW quest to the NH 48's...we have 8 now... YEA FOR US!!:eek:)

We have done:

Adams
Washington
Jefferson
Madison
Carter Dome
Wildcat A
Lincoln
Lafayette

We are hoping to catch 2 - 3 on our trip...and are slow to moderate hikers (did the 8 mile falling waters/old brindle path loop in about 8 hrs).

What is the recommendation for our next adventure? We are thinking about the Kinsmans or Flume and Lincoln...

Advice?

hmmmm.
you got lots of choices, 40 of em to be exact :D

Cant go wrong in the Pemi, can get a few done in one trip!

Whiteface/Passaconoway?

Moosilauke is a cool peak

Isolation is fun.

Did you mean Flume and Liberty? If so, I prefer to do it via the Osseo trail. And the Kinsmans are nice, especially if you do it from the Franconia side - there's a new trailhead with better parking, and it's easy to find (although the sign is missing a bolt and it kinda lists into the wind!).

If you plan to hike this winter as well, might I suggest that you get some of the peaks that are located along forest roads out of the way to save you the road walk during winter?

Off the top of my head:

Tom, Willey, Field
The Hancocks
The Tripyramids
The Osceolas
Cabot and Waumbek (drive between)
The Twins and Galehead
Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson (all in one if you can get a ride between trailheads, or in parts)

.... plus all those already mentioned. With the exception of the last suggestion, most of these can be done in questionable weather without too much difficulty as there are few, if any, exposed areas. As such, a few make for a nice rainy-day hike because the views are limited or non-existent. Pick your routes carefully for the Tripyramids if it's going to be wet. :)

Have fun!

Looking at a Saturday hike & night in a central location & then a hike on Sunday?

If so, I'd look at the Kinsmans on Saturday & then on Sunday do Moosilauke before the road is closed & then head home. (Could also do Hancocks instead of Kinsmans or Flume & Liberty & stay in the Woodstock Lincoln area or camp at lafayette Place)

Same idea but up North, Could do Middle Carter & South Carter on day one, stay in Gorham & do either Waumbek or Moriah on Sunday. Plenty of sleep options in Gorham.

Last edited:
Lots of good info and suggestions...

Another question...

Flume slide trail...what does it compare to?

We have done the Huntington's ravine trail (about the top limit our our daredevilness...we both stated we'd never do this one again...ok, maybe not till NEXT summer :rolleyes:), the Cathedrals at Katahdin (we both LOVED this one), and the knife's edge.

FST is not as difficult or scary as the others that you mentioned. It is best to do when dry, yet I did it in wet conditions with no problem. Have fun.

In cold conditions it could be icy..... It's not as bad as the others but it's often wet & these days could be real slick. It's steep enough that a fall could have you bounce a couple of times before stopping.

I'd advised against it for this time of year if you are unfamilar with it (even thoiugh it's easier than the others, just wetter) .... BUT if doing it, definitely up not down.

Did I mention its often wet, damp & in Novmeber icy?

I've done the loop, have done both from Lincoln Woods & both just going up Liberty Springs, IMO the most scenic way is from Lincoln Woods. Sure you get views from the slide but they pale in comparison to the summit views.

Last edited:
As already mentioned above, I'd also lean towards avoiding the FST this time of year - even in the non-icy season this is a slippery trail. Some sections of the trail can be a real challenge bordering on dangerous with ice while ascending. Descending is even worse. I'd say the trail compares more to the lower slabs of the North Tripyramid slide than the open areas of Huntingtons - shady, steep, and slippery.

For a recommendation - you can do a nice loop over Pierce/Jackson/Webster using the around-the-lake trail - a bit long but with several bailout trails along the way. Lots of open views from all three peaks.

All the other suggestions here are good, too! :D

Last edited:
Like Kevin Rooney, I'd recommend coming from the Franconia side (Mt. Kinsman trail) if you do the Kinsmans. I've been to N. Kinsman three times (and South once), and that's my favorite route.

Also have been on the Osseo trail a couple of time, it's a nice trail with a long approach before you start any serious climbing. Keep in mind that the col between Flume and Liberty is deep so to go out and back between the peaks is 1,000' of elevation gain. A nice way to do those peaks if you can do a carspot would be a traverse using the Osseo trail and Liberty Springs trail.

Another suggestion is Middle and South Carter, which you can make into a loop with a very short road walk, using the Camp Dodge cutoff (search this site for a discussion of that shortcut).

Keep in mind that the col between Flume and Liberty is deep so to go out and back between the peaks is 1,000' of elevation gain. A nice way to do those peaks if you can do a carspot would be a traverse using the Osseo trail and Liberty Springs trail.

The col between Liberty & Flume is approx 3850 feet. (lower than 3900 but well above the 3800 foot contour line on the map in the WMG)

Last edited:
The col between Liberty & Flume is approx 3850 feet. (lower than 3900 but well above the 3800 foot contour line on the map in the WMG)

Right...in my earlier post I mis-spoke because the implication in my post is that you'd have to hike an extra 1000' of elevation gain (roughly). Mt. Flume summit is 4328', so dropping down to 3850' causes you to lose 478', then it's 609' up to the summit of Mt. Liberty at 4459'. Then to go back you'd of course have to reclimb that 478' to Flume.

I guess my overall point is that a traverse would be easier in terms of elevation gain, and also mileage, since the Liberty Springs portion is shorter than the Osseo/Lincoln Woods portion. Plus I just like traverses because you don't have to repeat any ground over the course of the hike. :D

Last edited:
And it's a quicker trip back the car spotted in Franconia Notch. Some people I know have called Liberty Springs Trail boring & tedious, you don't really want to do it up & back. (I do like that though in the winter)

Last edited: