Pres. Range, weekend of the 28th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robs

Reaction score
I'm planning on tackling the pres. range on the weekend of the 28th with a few friends. What special equipment do I need this time of year? (e.g. snow shoes, crampons, etc.)

Thanks,

RobS

When I'm planning a winter-season hike (as I am now, for this weekend), I

==check the multiple weather services (wunderground, mountwashington.org, stream-level heights, etc.; others have favorites);

==watch the weather segments on the news (NECN does a nice animated prediction that shows expected precip across all of NE); and

==check the Trail Conditions and Trip Reports just prior to going, especially for the trails you'll be on, but also for a general feel for the conditions overall.

These will tell what kind of traction you'll need & what other conditions prevail. Keep checking right up until departure.

I don't think there's any real snow-base yet (right?), so you'll only need something for what falls right before you go.

Good luck & report back!

--Mike.

Is this a one-day traverse or a multi-day backpack?

Last edited:
I'm thinking overnight, the 28th/29th. I didn't figure there would be much up there, but I want to be prepared and the others don't own snow shoes or crampons, so I'm trying to figure out what they'd have to rent. With what's up there, would you need some kind of traction for your shoes anyway, like some mini-crampons or something, even if there isn't a base of snow?

Conditions this time of year can vary from full winter to spring/fall. (As noted by others check the reports. But also remember that the reports do not always accurately forecast the future.)

There have been reports of snow drifts in a few spots--I don't know if they have melted.

Ice on the trails is highly likely, particularly in the mornings, so I wouldn't go without (one of) crampons, instep crampons, stabilicers, or microspikes.

An overnighter without snowshoes risks being snowed in.

IMO, one shouldn't go there unless one is properly equipped, but your choice.

Doug