Lincoln Woods Stroll or Tobit Returns to the Woods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobit

Reaction score
Welp, it's been too long since I was last in the woods so, since the weather was so nice today, I made my way up to Lincoln Woods and had boots on the bridge at 9am. Other than a hunter loading up his gun and camouflage in his truck, there were no other cars in the Lincoln Woods parking lot. I smiled for two reasons: the hunter was leaving and I had the place to myself (for now). However, less than 10 minutes into my hike up the Lincoln Woods Trail, I ran into an older woman who was out walking her dog. She was surprised to see me hiking in a pair of shorts and asked me if I was cold. I assured her I was very comfortable and I was fine if I kept moving. She seemed to agree with this and we said our farewells.

Many seasoned hikers don't seem to care much for the doldrums of the Lincoln Woods Trail. However, it can take you to and from some really nice places and my out of shape body can make very good time on trails like this. Today, I had no set destination in mind and was treating this as more of a training exercise to see what I was capable of since I've been off trail for so long. My plan for today was to simply hike into the woods til Noon and then make my way back to the car. I wanted a good stretch to burn some calories and use some muscles I haven't used in a long time but also wanted to be back at the car before the sun went down.

Continuing on the trail, I quickly found myself at the junction of the Osseo Trail. I glanced down at my watch to check the time and was shocked to see it was only 9:35. 35 minutes to walk 1.5 miles is pretty good for this old goat. I looked at the Osseo Trailhead sign for a good 5 minutes. Thoughts like "take it and see how far you can make it" drowned out the tinnitus usually ringing in my head. I said to myself "self, it will still be there next time" and wisely continued on, deeper, into the Lincoln Woods. 35 minutes later and I was once again standing face to face with a trailhead sign. This was for the Black Pond Trail. I remember seeing pictures online of the Black Pond and decided this would be my destination today.

I really liked the one mile side trail from the Lincoln Woods Trail to the edge of Black Pond. The Black Pond Trail has many features I like to see when hiking in the woods; water crossings, rushing water, walking through clearings of waist high vegetation, narrow trails, and narrow trails that follow the sides of hills with none of these to any extreme to be a challenge to neophytes. Once standing on the shore of Black Pond, I was kicking myself for not bringing a camera. I had chose to leave it home so I could focus on hiking at a good pace rather than stopping frequently to take pics. However, I should have brought it. Black Pond was a treat for the eyes as I glanced over her bodacious body, North Eastward, to what I believe were the Bonds in front of me with not a single cloud in the sky. The edge of the pond was just starting to ice over with a very thin, no more than a 32nd of an inch, layer of ice that disappeared towards the center of the pond.

After a few minutes of rest and Gatorade consumption, I made my way back to the Lincoln Woods Trail. It was only 11:30 but I could tell my feet were getting tired so I decided to head back to the car. The closer I was getting to the car, the stiffer my feet were getting so I knew I made the right choice. On the return hike, I only passed one solo hiker and, later on, a pair of men who were carrying huge packs. I wanted to stop and ask them where they were headed with those heavy packs but they looked like they were on a mission so I let them be. I was back at the car at Noon:40 and quickly removed my boots and slipped on my comfy Crocs.

Total mileage today was 7 miles so I was pleased with the overall mileage but displeased with how stiff and achy my feet are after what should have been an easy 7 miles. I may have to look at retiring my leather Asolo's and try something else. My feet aren't painful, they definitely don't hurt, they are just very stiff and achy/tired feeling and it sure is funny watching me walk. I'm sure losing more weight and doing more hikes like this will help too it's just frustrating as the rest of my body wants to go do more.

Oh the way home, I stopped in and had a great Steak Bomb at GH Pizza and spotted a Toyota Tacoma parked next to me with a license plate in the cab window that said "HikeNH". He had some other related stickers and another license plate as well but I don't remember what they were. I'm not sure who this gentleman is.

All in all, a great day in the woods of NH.

I guess I'm one of the few who like that trail, though not usually when returning from a long hike. Those stringers have a habit of slyly moving to trip you up.

I used to leave the camera at home sometimes and always regretted it. Now one lives in my pack at all times.

Tobit, great post -- congrats on getting back out there.

Black Pond is a worthy destination. That trail is lovely, as you wrote, and the pond itself is indeed beautiful.

Looking forward to reading more of your TRs.

Hey Tobit, it's great to see that your back in the woods again. As for your feet it could be your shoes, it could be the muscle tone of your feet or a bit of both. It might be worth trying another pair of shoes. If you're in the Conway area stop in at EMS and get Bernie to fit you up with a good pair of shoes. He really knows his stuff and should be able to help you.:)

Good insoles can help too (Superfeet or others), though I've been loving Keens the last few years for their toe room, and they have a built-in arch that doesn't allow for adding any additional arch support.

I do wear green superfeet in my leather boots. However, I do have arthritis in other joints, osteoarthritis in my right knee, along with Gout. It is likely I have some arthritis in my feet as well. Combine this with weak muscles in my feet from lack of use and it is quite easy to explain I suppose. :rolleyes: I just need to keep at it so the joints in my feet stay lubricated and the muscles build up.

I do wear green superfeet in my leather boots. However, I do have arthritis in other joints, osteoarthritis in my right knee, along with Gout. It is likely I have some arthritis in my feet as well. Combine this with weak muscles in my feet from lack of use and it is quite easy to explain I suppose. :rolleyes: I just need to keep at it so the joints in my feet stay lubricated and the muscles build up.
Superfeet aren't for everybody. Different feet need different kinds of support. Perhaps different boots or insoles would be better for you, perhaps not. Or perhaps, as you note, you are simply out of shape.

FWIW, many years ago I had a set of custom insoles made. They were fine but eventually they wore out. I learned enough from them and the process of getting them that I now know what kind of support I need and can buy the appropriate manufactured insoles (green superfeet) and/or improvise appropriate shims for my needs.

Doug

Superfeet aren't for everybody. Different feet need different kinds of support.

You said it! My feet won't tolerate Superfeet. And like DougPaul, I found what worked best after having a set of orthotics made for me when I was younger. Now I can get by with Dr. Scholls 3/4 length arch supports, either with or without the gels under the heel as they don't make a whole lot of difference. At under $10 a pair, I can keep several on hand for every type of shoe.

Oddly enough, I have found I don't need arch supports in my workboots - Rocky Great Oak Loggers (model 6779) - and I'm guessing it's because of the raised heel.

I hope you find out what's bothering your feet. Happy feet makes for happy hikes!

I hope you find out what's bothering your feet. Happy feet makes for happy hikes!
Me too, I should probably go see a podiatrist like you suggested on the other forum. However, I am seeing too many doctors right now as it is. :rolleyes: Once my Rheumatologist and Orthopedic surgeon figure out what is going on with my knee and what they are going to do, I'll then likely go see one. Oddly enough, my knee was great for the entire 7 mile trek. :rolleyes:

Maybe my feet don't like the green superfeet. I'm going to try something different on my next hike.

Me too, I should probably go see a podiatrist like you suggested on the other forum. However, I am seeing too many doctors right now as it is. :rolleyes: Once my Rheumatologist and Orthopedic surgeon figure out what is going on with my knee and what they are going to do, I'll then likely go see one. Oddly enough, my knee was great for the entire 7 mile trek. :rolleyes:
Improper foot support can cause problems as high as the spine. I have no idea what your knee problems are*, but it is possible that foot support is a contributing factor. (Foot bone connected to the <pause> leg bone...)

* I'm also not qualified to make any individual diagnosis--in my case, arch collapse (excessive pronation) caused shin splints and chondromalacia patella (knee pain).

Doug

Last edited:
* I'm also not qualified to make any individual diagnosis--in my case, arch collapse (excessive pronation) caused shin splints and chondromalacia patella (knee pain).

I get the shin splints (but no knee pain) if I run even a quarter mile in the wrong shoes. Might be worth mentioning it to your orthopedist at least.