Snowshoes - MSR Lightning Ascent vs. Atlas 10 series

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
Just looked over and tried on both brands. Current Atlas 8 series owner looking at newer options. No doubt the MSRs have hundreds and hundreds of positive online web comments and their light weight and strong grip are very appealing. Bindings themselves are personal preference

But once you get into snowshoe mechanics, you see that there is huge differences between the two in binding rotation, binding vs. frame flex, all impacting how much the snowshoe rear lifts up with each step, how the boot vs. snowshoe independently adjust to terrain with each step, etc. I suppose the design of each benefits different terrain, snow conditions, boots worn, and personal preference.

In summary, before jumping on the MSR bandwagon, I'm curious if the MSR Lightnings beyond the ultra lightwieght and superb grip, have an upside or downside with how the binding rotation works vs. Atlas flat terrain, moderate terrain, steep terrain, etc.

Can't speak for the Lightnings, but I've never noticed any issues with the binding rotation on my Denali Evo Ascents.

The problem with MSR Lightning Ascents has been discussed on this forum before. I've had a pair for 2 years and have broken them 3 times in the same spot. The front crampon rivet breaks under stress, separating the crampon from the binding. With the rivet gone, the crampon itself then quickly splits apart. A friend has experienced the identical problem with 3 failures at the same location. To be fair, MSR stands behind its product and has always sent replacement parts at no charge. But I will not use them any longer on unbroken trails or for off-trail travel. They are too fragile.

Hmmm, well my post wasn't meant to recycle discussion on defects or debate whether the snowshoes are good or bad. I was really intending to understand if the different designs of how the bindings work was material or more personal preference. I would hate to invite numerous MSR posts debating it is a good or not good snowshoe. Thanks for the info though and it will be considered of course.

I was really intending to understand if the different designs of how the bindings work was material or more personal preference.

The binding materials don't work, which is not my personal preference for snowshoe design. ;)

They are all junk!!!

Trashed 2 pairs of Atlas 12's last winter and have a brand new pair of 30" LA's in the basement ready to go. Taking bets on how long they last.

My Atlas 10's have held up perfectly for years in spite of some bruising hikes -bushwhacks, rocks, etc. When I saw this thread, I pulled them out and did an inspection and saw absolutely no excessive wear.

I have a pair of Atlas 12 which are going on ten years this winter. No problems whatsoever. I suppose they may be a bit heavier than what's on the market today, but I'm confident and comfortable when under they are under foot, and that is worth few ounces to me.

Trashed 2 pairs of Atlas 12's last winter and have a brand new pair of 30" LA's in the basement ready to go. Taking bets on how long they last.

Yikes! I always felt that Atlas was bomb proof. My old Atlas 1033's have lasted me 12 years, although I only use them in really deep snow these days. I use my Lightning Ascents for most hiking now. Have had them for three years without incident and have not babied them at all. Guess I am in the lucky minority.

Marty

I have had a set of Atlas 1025's for many years now and I love them. I have had no problems with them whatsoever, but did have to repair a binding strap when I got them off the dump, which is undoubtedly why they were there. It was an easy fix and the bindings are very well constructed.

While not atlas or MSR. I do have some Tubbs that I bought about 9 or so years ago. I am anything but easy on them and the only problems I have ever had are a couple popped rivets that I just replaced and the decking straps tore in a couple places. I guess mileage will vary for everyone.

9 years? 12 years? That's pretty impressive longevity. I guess I should have mentioned that I break everything.

I've had a pair of MSR Lightning Ascents for over four years now and they're holding up extremely well. I don't get constant use out of them, but I usually bushwhack or put them through a lot of ugly terrain, spruce traps, icy rock slabs, etc. No damage to the rivets-- just some fraying on the base material where one of the straps used to rub across it when the whole thing pivoted, but a pair of scissors took care of that problem real fast.

I don't think I'll be switching to another kind of snowshoe anytime soon. I've had nothing but good experiences with the Lightnings so far. The traction is delightful, and so far it seems like they'll last forever.

I have had a set of Atlas 1025's for many years now and I love them. I have had no problems with them whatsoever, but did have to repair a binding strap when I got them off the dump, which is undoubtedly why they were there. It was an easy fix and the bindings are very well constructed.

Jeez! Could you please tell us where this dump is that sprouts snowshoes?

I love the MSR Lightning for very icy conditions, but that's all.

What I rarely see mentioned is the fact that in many conditions, they will not allow any skiing or sliding motion whatsoever due to their cookie-cutter like design - a "feature" which I find both annoying and fatiguing.

Am I the only one bugged by this?

What I rarely see mentioned is the fact that in many conditions, they will not allow any skiing or sliding motion whatsoever due to their cookie-cutter like design - a "feature" which I find both annoying and fatiguing.

Am I the only one bugged by this?
Nope. I think all the MSRs, the lightnings especially, create down hill pressure on my knee that I never had with others. They rock on packed trails on the way up though; virtually no back sliding.

I notice with Northern Lites for example ;) that down hills become almost a game of teleski/shoeing for super fast and smooth descents.

The Lightnings are also great for side hilling on a crust. I found that out doing the Dixes with PinPinJr with him in the Lightnings. At least that was the excuse I went with.:)

Also heard rumors red Northern Lights glide and dance better than yellow?

:) I prefer crampons in those conditions, but realize many people like MSR's for that. The other thing people like them for is to fulfill snowshoe requirements on packed trails in the Adirondacks.

Great point.

Chip - Just to clarify, I was referring to ice over snow that is not firm enough to support using crampons, like the type that can persist for weeks after a freezing rain event. Not that we ever get that in the NE!

Or maybe the Adirondacks, where they insist you wear the damn things even on a rock hard trail, cuz' it's winter and stuff ;)

Hmmm, well my post wasn't meant to recycle discussion on defects or debate whether the snowshoes are good or bad. I was really intending to understand if the different designs of how the bindings work was material or more personal preference. I would hate to invite numerous MSR posts debating it is a good or not good snowshoe. Thanks for the info though and it will be considered of course.

That debate has indeed been done before and the answer is clear (just do a search on this board) :mad:. MSR Lightnings are defective in material and/or workmanship and not suitable for eastern U.S. backcountry hiking terrain, such as is common in the Whites or Adirondacks.

That said, I really like the way they perform under a variety of conditions. Walking, climbing, and descending are all very comfortable. They are a little slow when trying to descend, but that's about the only fault I could mention. If only, if only, they were more ruggedly made.......

I am now trying out using the Denali Evo binding on the Lightning Ascents. I did a long hike last spring and they were fine, but I need more time to see if this is the "perfect snowshoe" :cool:!