Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snowshoes - MSR Lightning Ascent vs. Atlas 10 series

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Seaver View Post
    I love the MSR Lightning for very icy conditions, but that's all.

What I rarely see mentioned is the fact that in many conditions, they will not allow any skiing or sliding motion whatsoever due to their cookie-cutter like design - a "feature" which I find both annoying and fatiguing.

Am I the only one bugged by this?
    Nope. I think all the MSRs, the lightnings especially, create down hill pressure on my knee that I never had with others. They rock on packed trails on the way up though; virtually no back sliding.

I notice with Northern Lites for example that down hills become almost a game of teleski/shoeing for super fast and smooth descents.

The Lightnings are also great for side hilling on a crust. I found that out doing the Dixes with PinPinJr with him in the Lightnings. At least that was the excuse I went with.

Also heard rumors red Northern Lights glide and dance better than yellow?
    Cory D
    “I don’t know if momma was right or if it’s Lieutenant Dan. I don’t know if we each have a destiny… or if we're all floating around accidental like.. on a breeze. But, I think… maybe it’s both… maybe both are happening at the same time.” –Forrest Gump.

I love the MSR Lightning for very icy conditions, but that's all.
    I prefer crampons in those conditions, but realize many people like MSR's for that. The other thing people like them for is to fulfill snowshoe requirements on packed trails in the Adirondacks.

What I rarely see mentioned is the fact that in many conditions, they will not allow any skiing or sliding motion whatsoever due to their cookie-cutter like design - a "feature" which I find both annoying and fatiguing.
    Great point.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

how about the Denali Evo ascents instead?

Chip - Just to clarify, I was referring to ice over snow that is not firm enough to support using crampons, like the type that can persist for weeks after a freezing rain event. Not that we ever get that in the NE!

Or maybe the Adirondacks, where they insist you wear the damn things even on a rock hard trail, cuz' it's winter and stuff
    You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things — to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated. - Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by adkayaker View Post
    Hmmm, well my post wasn't meant to recycle discussion on defects or debate whether the snowshoes are good or bad. I was really intending to understand if the different designs of how the bindings work was material or more personal preference. I would hate to invite numerous MSR posts debating it is a good or not good snowshoe. Thanks for the info though and it will be considered of course.
    That debate has indeed been done before and the answer is clear (just do a search on this board) . MSR Lightnings are defective in material and/or workmanship and not suitable for eastern U.S. backcountry hiking terrain, such as is common in the Whites or Adirondacks.

That said, I really like the way they perform under a variety of conditions. Walking, climbing, and descending are all very comfortable. They are a little slow when trying to descend, but that's about the only fault I could mention. If only, if only, they were more ruggedly made.......

I am now trying out using the Denali Evo binding on the Lightning Ascents. I did a long hike last spring and they were fine, but I need more time to see if this is the "perfect snowshoe" !

Quote Originally Posted by adkayaker View Post
    Yes. Of the off the rack models from last years models they offer the most all around options with the best durability. Based on the wide variety of crust, ice and snow we get here in the north east they are the way to go, IMO.
    Cory D
    “I don’t know if momma was right or if it’s Lieutenant Dan. I don’t know if we each have a destiny… or if we're all floating around accidental like.. on a breeze. But, I think… maybe it’s both… maybe both are happening at the same time.” –Forrest Gump.

I just ordered a pair of the Tubbs Flex Alps online. I checked them out in REI first, they have the aggressive crampon style of the MSRs, with the much more convenient binding system seen on other Tubbs models. I can't say for sure because I haven't used them yet, but I think this is going to be the snowshoe of choice. For me, that is. I've enjoyed my MSR Denali Evo Ascents but I don't like the bindings...they take too long to put on because of all the straps.

Cant wait to use my Flex Alps this winter. I too dislike the bindings on my Denali EVO Ascents.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I just ordered a pair of the Tubbs Flex Alps online.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaseri View Post
    Cant wait to use my Flex Alps this winter. I too dislike the bindings on my Denali EVO Ascents.
    These snowshoes are specifically why I said "of last years models". They look like copy cats with all the improvements over the Denalis. More flexible deck the traction extends further forward and back and the under forefoot crampon looks deeper and pretty durable.

If I was going to buy some I'd actually consider buying the womens version because they are the same size as the regular Denalis which are fine for under 200lbs in most conditions. Oh, and I like blue better than orange.
    Cory D

good golly

Is that a typo on the Tubbs site, or do the Flex Alps really weigh 4.4 lbs? For a 24" snowshoe?

I hope this isn't the trend of snowshoes to come.

They do look grippy, though!
    You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things — to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated. - Edmund Hillary

Is that a typo on the Tubbs site, or do the Flex Alps really weigh 4.4 lbs? For a 24" snowshoe?
    Well the womens..ahem, cough blue ones weigh 4.0 lbs and are 22 inches! It seems like they want an exact comparison to the MSRs.

I hope this isn't the trend of snowshoes to come.
    I'm trying to build strength for the coming season and making sure to get my nutrients. Got Smoothie?
    Cory D

Well the womens..ahem, cough blue ones weigh 4.0 lbs and are 22 inches!
    Yes, but what of the sashay effect they may cause? (def. 1b)

Not that there is anything wrong with the occasional sashay

I really enjoy my Evo Ascents. +1