View Poll Results: Are you a solo hiker?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lone Wolf - I'm on my own all the time.

18 13.53%
  • More often solo than not.

58 43.61%
  • Call it 50-50

39 29.32%
  • Solo sometimes but usally with a group.

14 10.53%
  • Socialite - Always with a group.

4 3.01%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do you (or don't you) hile solo?

Question maybe I checked the wrong BOX???!!!

I'm kind of wondering if indeed I actually do hike more solo trips than w/others. It may just feel that solo efforts are more intense. Gotta check the journals!

more again soon -
    Inge

The poll results clearly demonstrate that people who hike alone at least 50% of the time respond to internet polls.

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    I checked 'Lone Wolf' although trust me I'm no 'wolf'. I also almost never hike alone. I have done almost all my hikes in the last nine years with either Duffy or Lauky. I'm supposing for the purposes of the poll that those two don't count, but I truly don't feel alone.

I've never been into 'group' hikes and have only very rarely done it. I'm not adverse to hikes with one or two but have not done much of that recently. When Duffy and I did the NE 67 we did most of them with one or two others. The final 33 we did alone. Most of the summer when we did the Maine and NH bushwhacks we didn't even see anyone else.

Since doing those final 33, which was about three years ago, I have come to truly love the 'silence' of the woods (yes I know they aren't silent--but it's different) and I have found that the sound of voices breaks the 'magic' of that spell.

Be that as it may, on the occasional trips when we have hooked up with another hiker we have throughly enjoyed it.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Quote Originally Posted by TrishandAlex View Post
    One of my goals is to re-do each of the 48 solo,
    After finishing my first round of the 48 I repeated them in winter and solo. I would be hard pressed to say which I enjoyed more.
    I'm just outwalkin....

I have three or four different fellow-hiker options, and still find myself solo a little more than half the time. Now that I've amassed a quorum, I find that I enjoy/need the alone-time, too, and slip off by myself.

I am not yet at the point of going anywhere alone, and have had to wait for some things as a result. But those results have been among the best ever: Tripyramid slides, winter Pemi traverse, Half-Dome, winter Santanoni (attempt), Tuck's in April, like that. Really great times with close friends. Will be trying that Santa thing again this winter, and gosh-darn it, we'll make it, 'cause people like us!

I have a few people that I hike with, but I really enjoy being out there alone for the same reasons you mentioned in your initial post. I'd say I'm solo about 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    ...(as an ex-caver I consider it normal to hike in pitch dark) and I will jigger my schedule as required to hike mostly in good weather.
    Thread side trip ---- Hey ex-caver... we used to plan our longer expeditions so that we'd emerge in daylight which often meant going in late in the day. Some of the more memorable underground trips were up to 20 hours long. Don't know where you explored... do the names McFails, Skull, Onesquethaw, and Knox mean anything to you?
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

100% solo...but I'm never alone.

Sorry to get fancy, but hiking alone isn't really the same thing as group hiking without the group. It's completely different. A nice quiet hike through the forest without any noise from anyone else, just your own breathing and heartbeat and the sounds of the forest, is a vastly different experience than you would have with a group of hikers who have a geographical destination. There's no criticism whatsoever about that sort of hike, I'm just defining the huge difference. And some hike solo to bag list peaks, as well.

But solo hiking just for the sake of actual hiking and just enjoying and intensly observing the forest is very, very different than hiking in a group to a destination. I even tape my zipper handles because I can't tolerate the jingly sound they make and it's way too loud.

I think it's much more dangerous to be off trail alone than with a group. So what? It's also dangerous to be laying on my belly or sitting about 10' away from a moose or two. So what? I live life while I can.

happy trails

Quote Originally Posted by forestgnome View Post
    100% solo...but I'm never alone.

Sorry to get fancy, but hiking alone isn't really the same thing as group hiking without the group. It's completely different. A nice quiet hike through the forest without any noise from anyone else, just your own breathing and heartbeat and the sounds of the forest, is a vastly different experience than you would have with a group of hikers who have a geographical destination. There's no criticism whatsoever about that sort of hike, I'm just defining the huge difference. And some hike solo to bag list peaks, as well.

But solo hiking just for the sake of actual hiking and just enjoying and intensly observing the forest is very, very different than hiking in a group to a destination. I even tape my zipper handles because I can't tolerate the jingly sound they make and it's way too loud.

I think it's much more dangerous to be off trail alone than with a group. So what? It's also dangerous to be laying on my belly or sitting about 10' away from a moose or two. So what? I live life while I can.

happy trails

Nicely put.
    [B][SIZE=3]Patricia Ellis Herr (TRISH...ALEX...SAGE)

Those who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those doing it. --Chinese proverb.

For more info about The Terrifying 25, contact me at patriciaellisherr@hotmail.com or search for The Terrifying 25 on Facebook.

checking back -

Looks like I should have called it 50/50 - must be more social than I thought!

Senior Member The Unstrung Harp's Avatar
    I like both. I get really anxious when alone sometimes, but I'm always glad I did it. Also, as I am dealing with health issues that mess with my pace, I like not having to feel guilty about slowing down a group or partner. But then when I start to feel crummy, I get even more nervous about being alone. Hm, I think I need a dog!!
    0/1 NH48-THRU

Trek For Peace

Quote Originally Posted by The Unstrung Harp View Post
    I like both. I get really anxious when alone sometimes, but I'm always glad I did it. Also, as I am dealing with health issues that mess with my pace, I like not having to feel guilty about slowing down a group or partner. But then when I start to feel crummy, I get even more nervous about being alone. Hm, I think I need a dog!!
    Thank you for sharing that.
    I have hiked solo 98% of my adult life. I had a rude awakening years ago when I came to appreciate that if I waited for someone to go hiking with, I would grow old in my rocking chair. Fortunately my dogs kept me company and we all LOVED being in the woods together.
    I to am dealing with health issues and aging. I am much more anxious/fearful now when hiking alone. My pace is slow and I just can't cover the distances I used to but I keep working on it. In the past I loved being completely alone on trails, and having a job where I could worked weekends and hiked midweek enabled me to do this. Now I feel better if there are a few people in the area.

In the past my body felt really strong and I had incredible endurance so I felt super confident that I could deal with most anything out there. I think not having that same physical prowess makes me feel that I do need to be extra careful because I just don't have the strength and stamina that I once enjoyed and most likely never will. There is something in me that just drives me to keep going. Pain be damned! I think I would hike if I had to crawl on all fours. At least the dog and I would be at eye level. I cannot begin to imagine life without hiking.

Unstrung Harp...I would highly recommend a dog for you.
    They are great trail companions and you don't feel so isolated. It does help with the anxiety. They are great distractions and much fun.

Your post helped me to appreciate that it is a normal reaction to feel more anxious/ fearful when our bodies are presenting us with certain "challenges". I kept thinking I was just getting to be a big whimp and I absolutely hated that feeling but now I can appreciate there is a lot more to it, and it really helps to know that I am not alone feeling this way.

Something else to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving day. Hope ya all have a really good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The poll results clearly demonstrate that people who hike alone at least 50% of the time respond to internet polls.
    Without doubt. But it also indicates that solo hikers love to write about what draws them to this aspect of the activity. So much positive!
    Last edited by Stash; 11-26-2009 at 07:15 AM.
    Stash

What matters is what I do. Not what they do.

Hiking Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35709829@N08/

Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
    Most of my hiking is alone. 40-something years ago, I backpacked alone because nobody wanted to go with me.

These days, I hike alone because... well, I'm unsociable. I just don't like people.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by StashZdanuk View Post
    Without doubt. But it also indicates that solo hikers love to write about what draws them to this aspect of the activity. So much positive!
    Hehe. Just kidding around. Polls are good attention getters.

I do a fair bit of solo hiking but have no idea in what proportion. I like hiking alone, especially off-trail hikes. It's the intensity that I like. There's something special about it. I feel some anxiety beforehand and at the beginning and then I settle into it.

I also like hiking with others but usually prefer groups of 2-4. But, I have had a great time on hikes with more than 6 people. It all depends on the people.