Why do you (or don't you) hile solo?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a solo hiker?

• Lone Wolf - I'm on my own all the time.

Votes: 18 13.5%
  • More often solo than not.

Votes: 58 43.6%
  • Call it 50-50

Votes: 39 29.3%
  • Solo sometimes but usally with a group.

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • Socialite - Always with a group.

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters

Stash

Reaction score
Why do you (or don't you) hike solo?

In reviewing my "list" of 48 that I'll someday finish I note that of 37 peaks completed, 20 are solo. If I thnk about the last couple years there are only a few times when I wasn't solo. I don't think I'm overly anti-social. It's more, for me, a matter of scheduling time with "matching" hikers. If I can't find someone to hike with, I have no problem going on my own.

There are, I assume, folks in both camps on the matter of solo hiking. Those that are fans. Those that aren't. Are you in one? If so, why?

Benefits of solo hiking for me:

• I go on my own schedule
  • I hike at my own pace
  • I take as long (or as short) as I want for lunch
  • I can choose when to back off a hike without disapponting someone else

Of course there are reasons not to:

• No one to talk to
  • You have to make all the decisions
  • It's just not safe!!!! :eek:

Last edited:
I prefer to hike with others, either one or two friends or an organized group. As my pace slows I find hikes with organized groups unappealing, and so hike either alone (most often) or with the few friends who are happy to hike with me at my geriatric pace.

I usually hike as part of a group of 2...just Fran and me. Like you, the difficulties of scheduling a group hike are an impediment. I'm not anti-social, but I do generally prefer very small groups (2 is ideal). My wife and I have been hiking together for so long that we just have this great rhythm we get into -- starting with the planning, preparing food, loading packs, loading the vehicle, and the actual hike itself. We don't have to work too hard at making decisions, just because we're on the same wavelength most of the time. We hike at somewhat different paces, but never get too far apart. We talk when we feel like it, but each of us is able to have plenty of time to be off in our own world if we choose. Hiking alone can be fun, but I usually like having someone to share it with. Under your reasons not to hike alone, some might consider two of them to be reasons for hiking alone. :cool:

I tend to be a fair weather hiker and live locally so its easier to go solo sometimes on a great day than to make arrangements in advance to go hiking and take chances on the weather. The trade off is that I tend to hike faster solo than in a group.

I enjoy hiking with others but most times the "others" are weather weenies or have lame excuses to stay home.

I would prefer the comforts of having a friend or several to hike with me. However I think also it is necessary to go alone and climb, and have your mind and wits to test you, to also brood and mediate and clear your mind without any distraction.

I voted for 50-50. My wife and I hike together all the time on trail. But I'm a lot faster, and the difference in our speed is much greater when bushwhacking, or in rough terrain. In the summer, many of my hikes are bushwhacking in rough terrain, exploring cliffs, so on those I like to go alone, not just for the pace, but for the "instant decision making." In the winter, I don't go alone unless I am on a busy trail, because I don't want to carry what I would need to survive a night out (sleeping bag, bivy, stove, etc.).

I have no philosophical preference for either. I love to see people, even a crowd. On the other hand, I also enjoy being alone, and I can get all the solitude I need, any time, just by stepping off the trail.

TCD

Mostly with at least one other person because I like the idea of shared experiences. If I don't have a ready companion and "must" hike, I'm happy to go by myself, too. I'm not too likely to join an organized group of people I don't know, unless it is one that I'm leading. Some people don't like it too much when I hike alone, but when I am I pick peaks and trails that no one would ever be alone on!

I grew into solo, due to that I wanted to hike more often. I was comfortable out there. Love the solitude.

Having company is great. Though, there have been times that gabbing too much can cause me to pay less attention to important things like direction.
Drivers experience the same thing sometimes.

Groups can be nice too but can take away from the peacefulness of experiencing nature.

Safety, yes, some would be correct that it betters your chances if there's an accident.

There's many pluses and minuses.
Dave G.

Last edited:
Can't say I go solo ALL the time, but it sure approaches 98%. Several reasons.

- I'm around people all day every day at work, so its nice to spend some time just with myself, making ALL of my own decisions.

- When in the deep woods far from trails and people, the exhilaration of feeling a part of the wilderness is quite enhanced when alone.

- I don't care to bag peaks, I'm most at home where I can bushwhack to obscure destinations. That most often means a lot of sweaty work in the underbrush with few vistas along the way. But there are constant unexpected rewards. The journey, not just the destination, is at least half the reason for going. I like that, most other's don't see it that way to the extent that I do.

- I get much pleasure from successfully navigating untrailed terrain with only map and compass (no gps crutch) to find these obscure places. Few people these days travel without gps. I like that I learn something new on every such trip from the concentration I must devote.

Consequences of accidental injury of course are the down side. But I do feel I am more careful with even small steps than when in a group. The thought of accident is never far, and with that careful placement of every footstep is considered. I don't tend to feel that way when traveling with someone else.

I do love my "me" time in the woods.
However, I am aware of the risks.
I stay on marked trails. I tell someone where I am going. I set a "call the ranger" time with that person.
I did notice that when I am alone, the hikes are shorter and easier.
Then again, having that perfect hiking companion(s) is a wonderful thing. It's great to go on a trip where all details are just resolved without discussion.

I enjoy the perspective that others bring to any hike and especially in winter I prefer to have company. Safety in numbers, right?

I'm probably more like 60/40. I've done the 48 in three different seasons & some many more times but still have 4-6 that I have not done solo yet.

Usually more likely to spot wildlife when solo as no talking to scare them away. No laughing either:(

When you go solo, you get to know yourself a lot better (both a blessing & a curse, especially if you add a four hour solo car ride on afterwards) How many more trips have I planned while on a solo hike, how many past relationships have I reexamined...... On the drive home, I've memorized the 48 in height order, at one time I even had the 115 down. I can also go Z-A almost as fast as I can go A-Z. (Hiking solo okay but I need someone to talk to on the ride home!:eek:)

I started going solo because people slept late or were weather weanies. Now my schedule is tight & I pick dates months out in advance. (If I don't the kids, wife & house tend to fill up the whole schedule) Now sometimes if I'm in upstate NY or NH on business, I swing by a trailhead on the way home or plan an extra day. If friends can go, great , if not maybe next time.

Last edited:
I usually have an idea or two of what I want to do before the weekend comes. Let the weather decide depending on views etc. I plan on solo or until I hear from someone else that's interested. I really enjoy solo trips for all the reasons others have mentioned. There's something so special about being in a remote area or mountaintop, taking in the wildness and imagining this whole country being just like this at one time... This was specially created... Then there are those special social hikes with large groups that are really fun too!
I guess it's all good as long as I can get away from the rat race for a day or two.

More often solo than not here. I don't quite have the hiking lungs and feet right now so I hike at a very slow pace and it's difficult to find others who will hike with me because of my pace and lack of conditioning to hike big hikes or most of the 4K's.

There are a lot more votes for solo hiking than what I see out hiking where most of the people I meet are in groups.

I think the original note summarized the reasons well. Most of my hikes are solo because I can go just when I want and where I want, often to odd places nobody else would consider. I'm just the opposite of Mike.P - I love hiking in twilight and often will deliberately start late to come out late (as an ex-caver I consider it normal to hike in pitch dark) and I will jigger my schedule as required to hike mostly in good weather.

There are definitely risks to solo hiking which I try to minimize by avoiding extreme weather and having the flexibility to change plans on the spot.