AMC Trail Sign Auction

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm relieved that one of my favorite signs isn't there, as I don't have the money to bid. I did win one a number of years ago and gave it away as a gift to someone very special. :)

I read erugs's post, and it gave me kind of a warm feeling, because I too bought a sign, and I enjoy it quite a bit. It says, "PUBLIC WATER pleplease protect its purity, and it hangs over my toilet.

Then I read roadtrippers's posting, and that too gave me a warm feeling, because the sign I purchased was an RMC sign.

Then I read Billy's posting, and now I feel very unhappy.

Brian

It might be the case that they didn't have any signs to replace this year, although I was just on Cabot, which I think they maintain, and there was a sign by the pond that could tolerate being replaced.

RMC does not maintain Cabot, the fartherst northerly point would be either be on the Starr King Trail (or maybe Pond of Safety) but I dont have a map in front of me. Cabot is WMNF.

RMC is a volunteer organization and have been spending a lot of time raising money to purchase the new trailhead property on Randolph Hill Road. They may be either too busy or the signs were sold via a different method.

It might be the case that they didn't have any signs to replace this year...

What I dont understand is that if you can make a trail sign for $20 (or $40, or however much they cost) and you can sell it for $100 (or $150, or however much people will pay for a trail sign), then why dont you replace dozens and dozens of signs every year? I understand there's a tipping point where supply will outstrip demand but if I'm a smaller org like the RMC and I have a chance to add $2K, $3K or more by selling signs, them I'm doing it.

That's a lot of coin for a trail sign.
But a least their money always goes to a good cause.
http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/non_profit/institution.ASC/

There's a good book on the shelves now called "Two Coots In A Canoe" which retells the story of two recently retired gents who decided to paddle a canoe the length of the Connecticut River. One of them was an enviornmentalist who gave grants to smaller, like minded non-profits and one of the guiding priciples of his group was never to partner with the Audubon Society because such a (relatively) small per centage of their revenue actually went to "the cause". Your link seems to back up that opinion.

That's a lot of coin for a trail sign.
But a least their money always goes to a good cause.
http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/non_profit/institution.ASC/
Honestly, I can't get too excited about this. The AMC is a big league organization and the staff gets paid accordingly. Yes, it would be nice if the salaries were a bit less, but in the grand scheme of things I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

If you'd like to continue this discussion about the AMC salaries, feel free to do so in a separate thread. This thread is about the trail sign auction.