Mt Clinton Rd conditions 11/28/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
I checked the road status and it says it's open, but I am wondering since they received over 10 inches of snow if A)they actually plow it before it closes, B) If anyone knows what condition it is in right now. I wanted to use it tomorrow and hoped to get feedback.

Thanks!

-Mattl

As of 2:30 this afternoon, there was a 4-foot high snowbank on 302 ... you can't even get to the Crawford Connector parking lot.

Same for Zealand Rd, Cherry Mtn Road, and the Zealand winter parking lot (including a truck that tried, but could not, get *out*).

Today, Haystack Road was ungated, but I can't say that you'd be successful trying to drive in the packed tire tracks through about a foot of snow. Gale River Road appeared to be in the same condition.

The Zealand Road Parking along 302 was also not plowed on Sunday 11/29 and was complete with a 3' foot snowbank. There was al least one smaller car parked in there, that probably would not be going anywhere until its plowed out.

I passed the Zealand road area on Sunday afternoon and the cars that had been blocked were out. Either some folks shoveled the entrance or a plow took a quick pass, it was only cleared about 30 feet into the lot. Just enough for the trapped cars to get out.

Zealand Road and Galehead parking lot

I was able to drive into the Galehead parking lot on Sunday, November 29th, which had been well packed out by hunters, who apparently also had packed out the loop to the Garfield Trailhead.

USFS site says to call Molly Fuller for updates on the Zealand Road, as of November 29th.