White Mountain Parking Fee Changes for 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The A/B double sticker is also only for use by one household - you're not supposed to share it with a friend, despite what EMS might tell you when you purchase one :rolleyes:(yes, I learned this after-the-fact, which was an innocent mistake on my part.)

Tim

I believe that failure to pay the ticket can earn you a visit to Federal court in Concord, of course the US Attorney may be too busy with other cases

I do need to know if the 19MBT fee tube is taped over?...Will bring the 3 bucks but seeing I laid out the 25 would rather not pay again.
Why does it matter? Unless they also taped over the "fee required" signs, you _may_ need to pay anyway but just need to get the stub elsewhere. Back when all you got was an envelope I just ignored it, but looking at a $75 ticket I would either buy a stub for the car or call the Gorham Ranger Station at (603) 466-2713 and ask what the deal is.

And for an overnight you need to pay for 2 days or else $5 for weekly pass.

Last edited:
Just as an aside, I always renew my sticker January 1st so that the coverage is one calendar year and doesn’t go into two years. When the sticker covers two distinct years, e.g. March to March, mistakes can be made on whether or not the sticker is valid.

As the cost of these local National Forest passes continues to spiral, it may be a good idea to remind people that you can buy an "umbrella pass" which will cover ALL the National Forests, National Parks, National Monuments, etc.

Keep in mind that EACH National Forest may change for recreation, and there are currently dozens (scores?) of NF jurisdictions which charge. Your White Mountain Pass will be of no value in another jurisdiction.

If you recreate only in the WMNF, then their pass is the best value. However, if your annual plans include hiking elsewhere in the US as well, it might be a good idea to investigate what is now called the "America the Beautiful" pass for $80. (This is same pass available to those 62 and older for a one-time fee of $10.)

Just as an aside, I always renew my sticker January 1st so that the coverage is one calendar year and doesn’t go into two years. When the sticker covers two distinct years, e.g. March to March, mistakes can be made on whether or not the sticker is valid.

They cut out the month you buy it from a sticker with the year you bought it. You have no more than 12 months from that date until it becomes invalid. My sticker was bought 9/17/09 and it says 2009 and Sept is removed, meaning I get until midnight on 8/31/10. I "lost" 17 days of usage.

The problem *I* have is when you mail-order it. It takes 10+ days to order it via the mail and I try to order it so I have the new one in possession when the old one expires. Uhhh no... they punch out the month I ordered it in and it comes at the end of that month :( The did not seem to care that I wrote down I already had one good through 8/31/09.

This is particularly annoying for me as I tend to want to use it over labor day which falls at the beginning of September.

I find it "bad practice" for them not to say right on the sticker "good through ..." or "expires at the beginning of the month punched".

I'd love it if I could buy one online (and specify the start date, before which it wouldn't be valid.)

Tim

Last edited:
I understand they cut out the month that you bought the pass; it is just that mistakes can be made so to avoid any misunderstandings; I simply buy the pass on Jan 1st. BTW, since you head to WV to ski, why don’t you buy the pass at the visitor’s center at exit 28?

I understand they cut out the month that you bought the pass; it is just that mistakes can be made so to avoid any misunderstandings; I simply buy the pass on Jan 1st.
I don't understand why Jan 1 helps, personally. Who misunderstands what?
BTW, since you head to WV to ski, why don’t you buy the pass at the visitor’s center at exit 28?
I do now :D It's matter of them being open and not inconvenient.

Tim
p.s. I have not strapped on my skate skis this year... :eek:

Last I checked, 16 hours of volunteer work will get you a free pass.
When they get around to issuing it...

My mother used to be a trail adopter (direct with USFS) who was entitled to a pass, but one year the person issuing passes was out west fighting fires or something and she never got a pass. Twice we parked at the trail to work on it without a sticker but never got a ticket or you can be sure there would have been a howl.