Head lamps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
I know there has to be past threads on the subject but I can't seem to find them here.

Anyway...looking for a really good, really bright head lamp for night hiking. Waterproof would be good too. What' the brightest? Lightest in weight? Double AAs? Rechargable? Key thing here is brightness I guess. My led petzl just isn't really that bright and fades over time rather quickly...it takes 3 AAAs.

Opinions and thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

This doesn't answer your question directly so if I make you or anyone else yawn I apologise in advance.

I've used two head lamps. One pointed in front of my feet and one pointed down the trail some. It cuts back on the bobble head, neck stress, thing I do when I raise and lower my head to light up the trail. My head can be more stationary and just my eyes glance up and down as I walk. A more expensive light may do the job better but I hate losing/breaking expensive equipment.

You might look at the BDEL Spot or Cosmo. They in the $30 range and quite good. I've run with my Cosmo and didn't have any trouble.

For night hiking, I've been using a BD Icon for a couple years, and I like it, but lately I've been looking at this Princeton Tec Apex Extreme. It's 130 lm, uses 8 AA batteries in a remote battery pack (so you can keep the battery pack warm in your pocket), is regulated, and compatible with lithium batteries.

I've also been told that it can be used with only 4 AA batteries, although I haven't been able to confirm this yet.

Definitely not the lightest (due mostly to the batteries), but for winter night hiking, after much research, this one seemed to come out on top. It can be had for about $80.

Some discussion here .

On my Christmas list I asked for either the Mammut Lucido TX1 (It was $59.00 on sale) or Black Diamond Icon - (It was $52.00 on sale) due to the fact that they both had a long-range beam option and ran on AAA's (I'm planning on either using rechargable NIMH or disposable Lithium and read (details tab) that the MYO Series and non-alkaline don't mix). The Lucido seems to be the more weather-proof of the two.

Last edited:
I asked for either the Mammut Lucido TX1 (It was $59.00 on sale) or Black Diamond Icon - (It was $52.00 on sale) due to the fact that they both had a long-range beam option and ran on AAA's (I'm planning on either using rechargable NIMH or disposable Lithium...)

Icon runs on 3 AA cells...and lithium aren't recommended.

Edit: Lucido also runs on 3 AA batteries. Maybe your "AAA" was just a typo?

Edit: Lucido also runs on 3 AA batteries. Maybe your "AAA" was just a typo?

No, actually - just bad research. BUT - to quote Tim Seaver from another Views thread:
One odd thing - BD doesn't mention using lithium AA's with the Icon, but I have been using them almost exclusively without any problems, getting a good strong beam for about 8 hours, almost twice what I get with alkaline AAs. In cold weather, the difference is even more dramatic ( same for the Zenix IQ)

For night hiking, I've been using a BD Icon for a couple years, and I like it, but lately I've been looking at this Princeton Tec Apex Extreme. It's 130 lm, uses 8 AA batteries in a remote battery pack (so you can keep the battery pack warm in your pocket), is regulated, and compatible with lithium batteries.
The Icon runs at 1.7W (my measurement) and is unregulated. (The LED has an inadequate heatsink, if you ran it at 3 watts it would burn out.) The Apex runs at 4W (my measurement) and, as you note, is regulated. The Icon has a very narrow beam, the Apex has a broader beam.

I've also been told that it can be used with only 4 AA batteries, although I haven't been able to confirm this yet.
PrincetonTec sells versions of the Apex using 4 AA, 8AA, and 2 CR123 batteries. (I have the 4AA.)

Both of these lights eat batteries and are good candidates for rechargeable batteries. (That is how I run mine--NiMH AA.)

As you note, both lights are relatively heavy and, as a result, I rarely carry mine hiking. I also rarely need that much light.

I normally carry a BD Spot (the PT Remix appears to be very similar) and a PT Fuel* as a spare. The Spot/Remix** give the choice of a 1-watt narrow beam or a lower power broad beam. (The Fuel is similar to the Spot/Remix minus the 1-watt narrow beam.) The 1-watt setting will kill your (3 AAA) batteries quickly and has to be used sparingly. The broad beam is entirely adequate for night trail hiking and camping. Both the narrow and broad beams have multiple intensity settings (so you can trade off intensity and battery life). Any of these lights can take NiMH rechargeables, alkalines, or lithium batteries. These lights are much lighter than the above Icon and Apex. They also eliminate a failure point in the Icon and Apex--no external wires.

* I have an old Fuel--3 LEDs. The new ones have 4.

** I haven't examined the high beam of the Remix. I'm just assuming that it is narrow (like the PT EOS).

The Mammut Lucido X-Zoom also looks interesting, but I haven't had a chance to examine one. I have other lights that allow focus adjustment and it can be very useful.

FWIW, I generally prefer PT over BD for generally similar lights. PT pays more attention to waterproofing (and many of their lights are waterproof). (PT also makes dive lights...)

Doug

Last edited:
No, actually - just bad research. BUT - to quote Tim Seaver from another views thread:

I agree with Tim's observations (on many issues, not necessarily just the Icon). I've not had problems using lithiums in my Icon. However, there have been issues reported where the initial high output of the lithium batteries have burned out LEDs.

Just know that the warranty is probably void if you use lithiums.

Just know that the warranty is probably void if you use lithiums.

Where'd you get this info?

This .pdf published by Black Diamond says:

◆ Use AA alkaline batteries or the Black Diamond NRG Battery Kit which includes a rechargeable NiMH unit.
◆ Do not mix old and new batteries or batteries of different types.

- Has anyone used the NRG Batteries? Any significant difference from normal NiMH rechargeables?

Last edited:
Fresh lithiums put out 1.8V which soon drops to ~1.5V. Some devices are unhappy with 1.8V. (If you run them in something else for a few minutes, you can get rid of that initial 1.8V.)

Presumably BD is concerned about the 1.8V damaging the light. (Or are just too lazy to do the work to certify the light for fresh lithiums.)

Doug

The Black Diamond Icon is excellent. I recommend getting the rechargeable lithium battery pack to go with with it. (You can still carry AA's and use them if the battery pack goes dead.)

Buy the Apex if you hike alone. Buy a good helmet and wear it as well if you're going to be around others when you have it on at full power.

I gave my wife one -- she looks like a snowmobile coming down the trail from a distance. It is blindingly bright at full power. Did I mention the blinding part?

The Black Diamond Icon is excellent. I recommend getting the rechargeable lithium battery pack to go with with it. (You can still carry AA's and use them if the battery pack goes dead.)
The BD rechargeable battery pack is NiMH, not lithium. (Lithium ion (Lion) is the lithium rechargeable cell type. 3.6V/cell.)

NiMH AA cells are cheaper and if an individual cell goes bad, it is easily replaced. (The pack is 3 AA cells.)

Doug

BTW, the battery lifetimes quoted for LED lights are wildly unrealistic. They use criteria like declaring battery exhaustion when the intensity at one meter drops down to equal moonlight. A much more realistic criterion would be to declare end of life when the intensity drops down to 1/2 of the initial intensity. (I measure the current drawn from fresh cells to get relatively true comparisons.)

Unlike incandescents, LED lights don't change color as they get dimmer so it is easy to miss the gradual dimming as the batteries wear down.

Battery capacity (alkaline, NiMH, and lithium are all in this ballpark):
AA cells: ~2500mAh (~3.75 WH)
AAA cells: ~800mAh (~1.2 WH)

Theoretical lifetimes assuming constant power draw:
3W, 3AA: ~2.5hrs (PT Apex high)
1.7W, 3AA: ~4.4hrs (BD Icon high)
1W, 3AA: ~11hrs.
1W, 3AAA: ~2.4hrs

BD Spot draws 315/630/1350 mW on the narrow high beam.
3AAA: ~7.6/3.8/1.8 hrs
BD Spot draws 90/225/ 495 mW on the wide low beam
3AAA: ~27/11/5 hrs

3 LED PT Fuel draws 90/180/450 mW (all wide beam)
3AAA: 27/13/5.3 hrs
(FWIW, the Fuel is significantly brighter than the Spot for corresponding settings.)

Doug

Last edited: