Head lamps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BD rechargeable battery pack is NiMH, not lithium. (Lithium ion (Lion) is the lithium rechargeable cell type. 3.6V/cell.)

NiMH AA cells are cheaper and if an individual cell goes bad, it is easily replaced. (The pack is 3 AA cells.)

Doug

You mean the pack is the exact same thing as regular rechargeables? Glad I got it free if that's the case.

You mean the pack is the exact same thing as regular rechargeables? Glad I got it free if that's the case.
Potentially. Is there an mAh rating written on the pack?

AA NiMH cells range from ~2000 mAh to ~2700mAh and cost US$10-12 for a set of four.

But I'd be happy to try a pack if it were free... :)

Doug

Thanks everyone...great info.
I was ready to check out with the Icon but then I started looking at the Apex Extreme.
Had the Apex Extreme in the basket and then realized it was just the Apex...not the Extreme.
Going to check out the differences and see. It is Christmas and all...:D
Keep the info coming if you have any. I can't tell you how helpful it is.

I also have a BD Zenix IQ, which is lighter in weight than the Icon but still very bright. With 2 freshly charged AA's (2700maH) right out of my DougPaul certified MaHa charger and set on the highest beam it goes out in less than 3 hours. It doesn't fade it blinks once or twice and then poof! it's out. I'm sure you are all well aware that this is due to its rectangular discharge curve.

So, you definitely need to carry spare batteries as well as that map and compass.

Speaking of bright headlamps, has anyone see any HID (arc) type headlamps for hiking? These were popular for a while for mtn biking, especially for 24 hour races and the like. Those things are REALLY BRIGHT, and actually use less power than a halogen incandescent, although they use more than LEDs. I always thought it would be fun to get one for short night hikes, just to surprise everyone with a crazy bright light. I was waiting for the price to come down from the ridiculous $400 bike catalog levels, but it didn't. Now the HIDs seem to have been eclipsed by the newer LEDs. But I always thought the HID gave better illumination because of color temperature...

From what I gather, the Apex Extreme and Apex are pretty much the same. The main difference being burn times. I suppose it's because of the 4 extra batteries in the Extreme.
PT mentions something about the Extreme being better in cold weather. Wonder how.

I have a Petzel Tikka (4 LED's) which I like, but bought a $12 Rayovac at Walmart for backup. But, now the one I use all the time is the Rayovac because it's brighter.

One thing about the Rayovac which is a bit disconcerting - somehow in the way the light is dispersed thru the lens cover it catches my glasses in such a way as to cause a bit of glare. After 5 or 10 minutes I don't notice it though.

Can't tell you the last time I used the "high-end Petzel". Sometimes cheap turns out to be the better product.

Whatever you settle on, get one with the ability to switch over to red - much easier on the eyes if you accidently flash someone. Some organized hikes won't let you join unless your headlamp has this capability.

Whatever you settle on, get one with the ability to switch over to red - much easier on the eyes if you accidently flash someone. Some organized hikes won't let you join unless your headlamp has this capability.

Are you serious?

Sorry...let's not go there. Back to the topic at hand...

Ah yes...the remote battery pack.

ferrisjrf...you pointed that out already. Thanks. Must've slipped my mind trying to keep up with all the data.;)

Well, I actually wound up going with the PT Apex (not the Extreme). Its waterproof rating, brightness and 4 AA capacity sound really good to me. Nothing but good reviews from people I've talked with on the phone as well. Maybe I'll find that the remote battery pack with the Extreme is something I'll need. But I'm ok with testing out the regular Apex for now.

Neil...I almost went with the Icon. Thanks for your straight up opinion.

Thanks again everyone!

Well, I actually wound up going with the PT Apex (not the Extreme). Its waterproof rating, brightness and 4 AA capacity sound really good to me. Nothing but good reviews from people I've talked with on the phone as well. Maybe I'll find that the remote battery pack with the Extreme is something I'll need. But I'm ok with testing out the regular Apex for now.
If you would like a detailed review of the Apex, see http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pt_apex.htm.

This website has very detailed reviews of a number of flashlights and headlamps http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_headlamps.htm.
Unfortunately, the author stopped reviewing lights in 2006. (He does, however, keep the website online.)

Doug

Are you serious?
There is a perfectly good reason behind this--red does not destroy night vision--white does. (This is one reason why tail lights on cars are red...)

Disallowing people from a hike because they do not have a red mode is a bit extreme, IMO.

BTW, a red LED is far more efficient than a red filter over a white LED.

FWIW, none of my headlamps have red LEDs in them, but I do have a red pinchlight. (Pinchlights are available in a variety of colors including IR and UV. http://www.rei.com/product/632461 http://www.photonlight.com/Photon-s/941.htm )

Doug

I also have a BD Zenix IQ, which is lighter in weight than the Icon but still very bright. With 2 freshly charged AA's (2700maH) right out of my DougPaul certified MaHa charger and set on the highest beam it goes out in less than 3 hours. It doesn't fade it blinks once or twice and then poof! it's out. I'm sure you are all well aware that this is due to its rectangular discharge curve.
The Zenix IQ is regulated. The regulator keeps the intensity constant until the battery is exhausted. (This applies to all battery types.) http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/blackdiamond_zenix-iq.htm (BTW, the Zenix IQ is a 1 watt light.)

The Apex is also regulated and will exhibit similar behavior. In addition, as the battery becomes weak, both headlamps will switch from bright to medium to extend the battery life. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pt_apex.htm

The Icon, being unregulated, will gradually dim as the batteries weaken (the intensity depends on the voltage). What you observe will depend on the battery type--the voltage of alkalines (and thus the light intensity) decreases gradually as the batteries discharge. In contrast, both NiMH and lithiums have rectangular discharge curves ie. the voltage and intensity stay relatively constant until the battery is nearly discharged.

Doug

From what I gather, the Apex Extreme and Apex are pretty much the same. The main difference being burn times. I suppose it's because of the 4 extra batteries in the Extreme.
PT mentions something about the Extreme being better in cold weather. Wonder how.
The three Apex models are all the same except for the batteries (4 AA, 8 (4x2) AA, and 2 CR123).

Doug

Speaking of bright headlamps, has anyone see any HID (arc) type headlamps for hiking? These were popular for a while for mtn biking, especially for 24 hour races and the like. Those things are REALLY BRIGHT, and actually use less power than a halogen incandescent, although they use more than LEDs. I always thought it would be fun to get one for short night hikes, just to surprise everyone with a crazy bright light. I was waiting for the price to come down from the ridiculous $400 bike catalog levels, but it didn't. Now the HIDs seem to have been eclipsed by the newer LEDs. But I always thought the HID gave better illumination because of color temperature...
I'm not aware of any HID hiking lights, but you might check out caving websites. Some of them use LED lights which put the Apex to shame. (Actually the Apex appears to be fairly popular.)

You can also use a bike light for hiking. (But you may have to hike pretty fast to keep the light from overheating... Or only use it on windy days. :) )

BTW, a nice little write-up on lights for caving can be found at http://www.bostongrotto.org/Grotto/White_LEDs_Suck.pdf

Doug

You can also use a bike light for hiking. (But you may have to hike pretty fast to keep the light from overheating... Or only use it on windy days. :) )

I've considered this but it is on the heavy side, and the mounting options are limited. I successfully threaded the helmet mount onto my Petzl Tikka elastic head band, but the weight of the light head made it tip down and bob when I walked. My light is 5+ years old now, NiMh battery pack (rechargeable) and a halogen bulb/reflector/controller (NiteRider Digital 6V-5/10/15 watts, 150 lumens.)

Tim

Yeah Maddy, nice Eos. I actually have that one. I use it when paddling at night. That's what I like about PT...good waterproof ratings. I can't imagine what the Apex will be like at night on the water after reading what people are sayin about it.

DougPaul...your data hasn't gone unoticed. Thanks for all your studies. What is it that you do anyway? Or is testing head lamps part of the outdoor hobby for you? Cool stuff. Do you have a lab set up at home (no dog jokes people, please:D)?

I was using the Petzl Tikka. For what it's worth, it shines 40 lumens as apposed to the Apex at 130 lumens. Wow Sardog!

I am assuming that the Tikka is unregulated since it fades over time. Is that right? Does a regulated led stay at the same brightness and then just go off when batteries die?

I have what must be the previous version of the Icon. Can’t remember what model it is? Plenty bright for those night time above treeline blowing snow epics. :)

Has anyone tried the BD sprinter? I’ve been looking at that with passing interest.