Berkshire Backpacking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachand

Reaction score
I am looking to do a three day/two night backpacking trip in the Berkshires in a couple weeks. Does anyone know of some nice hikes I might be able to check out? Looking for around 4 miles in to a lean-to with day hiking possibilites for the second day. The closer to I-90 the better but I would like to stay away from AT trails.

Thanks for the advice.

Marc

Try the "AT" north or south from Lee, MA--you will go right over 90 if you go south.

If you want to stay at a lean-to, there are very few possibilities of staying off the AT. That's where the lean-tos are.

Mt. Greylock has extensive hiking trails besides the AT, though the lean-tos are on the AT. Beartown State Forest has a maze of trails in addition to the AT, three lean-tos (all on the AT) and a campground open all year.

I often help a friend maintain her section of the Mass AT (Tyne Rd to Finnerty Pond) just N of Rte 90. (And other nearby sections as well.) There is nice hiking both N and S of the AT crossing of the AT (a few hundred yards from Rte 90). There is a cabin (closed for the season) and camping at Goose Pond (S) and a shelter and camping at October Mtn (N).

There are also a number of nice sections N and S of this zone.

Pick up a copy of the Appalachian Trail Guide to Massachusetts--Connecticut for access and camping info, maps, and detailed descriptions.

Camping is allowed only at designated locations.

Doug

:confused: Hiking/Camping/leantos/berkshire/near90 = the A.T., unless you want to explore Beartown, October Mountain or Pittsfield State Forests (which I've never done, so I don't know the camping situations there but I know at least Pittsfield has many trails).

non AT shelters in MA

Greylock have at least 1 shleter that is not on the AT (Bellows Pipe Shelter) and there are shelters in Savoy Mountain State Forest (not near 90 though close to Route 2). Mowhawk Trail S.F, Monroe S.F. and Kenneth Dubuque Mem. Forest also have shelters. One of the other State Parks has winter camping at a cabin (hike into only), but I can't recall which one...

Last edited:
I have been to Savoy and heard good things about it. Motorized rec vehicles are prohibited and I think you have to reserve the cabin.

413 663-8469 (contact # on my map)

Not the Berkshires but Monroe State Forest has a couple of shelters and some remote campsites. There is plenty of hiking both in Monroe Forest and in the surrounding area. If camping be careful for bears as there are many spoiled camp bears in this region.

Off the top of my head, the only non-AT leanto's in the Berkshires are on Greylock. That is a little off the I-90 corridor though, but only 45 minutes. The previously mentioned Bellows Pipe LT, which can be accessed either by the Bellows Pipe Trail out of N Adams or the Thunderbolt Trail out of Adams.

Another nice spot is the Peck's Brook shelter, which has Upper Peck's Brook Falls in it's front yard. Access is via the Gould Trail near the end of West Mountain Road in Adams.

The LT at the top of Stony Ledge is a sweet one. Access is via Rt 7 in South Williamstown.

The closest LT to I-90 would be either Goose Pond or October Mnt., both of which are on the AT. In any event, have fun!

There are actually four cabins at Savoy Mountain State Park. They can be reserved through Reserve America,and there is a link on the Savoy site. rate is $30 plus a $6? reservation fee. Never been a "party crowd" there that I saw.Usually very quiet.
Lots of good trails in the area(Lewis Hill Trail to the Firetower)(Tyler Swamp trail is very cool in winter)
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/svym.htm

Last edited: