I need a good hat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
I used to have this amazing wool hat that I swear was over 1/2 inch thick when compressed. It was actually pretty heavy because of how densely knitted it was. It was so warm. Eventually, I had to wash it, and every time I washed it, it got smaller. It doesn't fit on my head anymore.

Since then, I've been unable to find a good hat for really cold days. I find that the hats they usually have at places like EMS are very thin material in comparison. I'm also not specifically looking for a hat for hiking (although I could use it for that, too). The main reason I want it to be really warm is because I'll wearing it while standing in the February cold waiting for the subway in Boston. But I figured you guys are probably a good source of suggestions for hats, so I post my question here.

Any suggestions?

I have three different styles of hats which I like for three different applications.

For the very cold hiking, I like the Moutain Hardware Dome Perignon.

For warmer weather, while exerting myself, and under the cycling helmet, I have an Ibex Merino wool hat.

I have also enjoyed a variety of Swix synthetic hats which have loose knit under the peak to let some extra heat and moisture out. Mostly for XC skiing.

Of the three styles, my "go to" hat is the Ibex most of the time. I wash it often, but never dry it.

Tim

My best hat is a "Navy" watch cap, pure dense wool. I had two, one issued to me in the Coast Guard and was plenty warm even during Arctic winter icebreaking, the other a hand me down from my uncle from WWII. One is long gone somewhere on Loon Mountain, t'other safely tucked away in my pack for emergency duty and inspiration.

Don't be fooled by the cheap imitations found at the so called Army Navy surplus stores, they're blends of acrylic and you might do better with fleece. But if you find a real one at a yard sale, antique store or someone's attic, grab it even if moths have beaten you to it ... along with warmth it may whisper secrets on some God forsaken, bitterly cold night.

My best hat is a "Navy" watch cap, pure dense wool. I had two, one issued to me in the Coast Guard and was plenty warm even during Arctic winter icebreaking, the other a hand me down from my uncle from WWII. One is long gone somewhere on Loon Mountain, t'other safely tucked away in my pack for emergency duty and inspiration.

Don't be fooled by the cheap imitations found at the so called Army Navy surplus stores, they're blends of acrylic and you might do better with fleece. But if you find a real one at a yard sale, antique store or someone's attic, grab it even if moths have beaten you to it ... along with warmth it may whisper secrets on some God forsaken, bitterly cold night.
Decent wool navy watch caps used to be a standard item at mountaineering stores. (I still have one from the '70s.) Then everything became fleece. :( 10 years of searching and I have been able to find a few, but they are not as nice as the originals...

IMO, wool is better than fleece for a hat. Fleece soaks up water like a sponge. Wool can be damp, icy, or snowy on the outside and dry and warm on the inside.

Doug

I swear by this hat. You wont be able to hear anything but it keeps your bean warm (windstopper is key). Not bulky, folds up easily and looks pretty cool too if you ask me.

Last edited:
I swear by this hat. You wont be able to hear anything but it keeps your bean warm (windstopper is key). Not bulky, folds up easily and looks pretty cool too if you ask me.
I have that hat (or one very similar to it, Mtn Hardwear windblocking fleece) and generally find it to be too hot and steamy for me. As you note, it also kills your hearing. (Shell hoods also impair your hearing--I will use a hat or balaclava if possible before raising my hood.) The only place that I might use such a hat would be in high winds (where a balaclava might be also be appropriate).

For me, a knitted wool* cap (eg the Navy watch cap design) generally works best: warm, breathable, water resistant, comfortable, and not too damaging to my hearing. Comfortable to sleep in, too.

* Wool is the original soft shell fabric. Only we didn't know it back then... :)

YMMV.

Doug

In addition to several items already mentioned here that I use, my wool and polypro balaclava has its place on the list. It wicks moisture out and insulates superbly at the same time. I haven't been able to recall where I got it. Here's a similar one. Add a thinner nose-covering balaclava underneath, and I'm good to go in very cold conditions. The addition of a shell jacket hood makes it even warmer when it's windy.

I have that type of Mountain Hardwear hat, that's my primary hat - it's nice and warm. I also love my Mad Bomber hat. Yes, it can sometimes be too hot for hiking but above treeline it's nice. Also kept me fairly warm on a sub-zero day last January with 25-mph winds. If you're just going to be using it for non-hiking purposes I say go with that type. I saw a thinner version of the Mad Bomber hat (it's still called a Mad Bomber hat though) in TJ Maxx yesterday for $16.99.

Best winter toque

I purchase a toque a few years ago from MEC. Best winter hat I have ever had. Looking at the label it is made of Icelandic Lopi Wool. Hand made. About 1/2 inches thick. Very warm and very breathable. :)